The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bump
    MIDWAY SOCCER 08' First Season!!!!!!

Bump. Keep thinking about this guy, but at the moment, am full!
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

How I missed this story I have no idea...this guy is right around the corner from us! I can't take him myself, but wanted to say we got a wonderful War Horse last fall from the FL track. I was just speaking about him yesterday, that all my good sense went out the window and went with my heart when we went to see him. Our guy had rain rot, his two back pasterns were torn up by I think a combination of bad scratches and "road rash" of sorts and his one leg was so swollen and was a grade 4 lame when trotted in hand! Yup we took him anyway! All he needed was a bit of TLC, some leg wraps, ointment and love. A year later he's learned what it is like to be a horse and all cleaned up. And he's a wonderful horse indeed. I really do hope that this guy can find a home. His name is wonderful too, I can just hear it being announced at a show..... Anyway, I'll keep this bumping if I can in hopes he finds someone of his own. He's a stunner I think and from what I can tell, put together quite nicely. I'm not sure if he's got limitations that you know of but can you let me know if he does.
    I will continue to try and pass his name along if I know of anyone.
    In the meantime, thanks for taking care of this guy! He knows what your doing for him.
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

bump for love

Good news:
    About an hour ago, Africa stepped onto a van bound for "New Vocations" in Ohio. They evaluate, school, and match retired TBs to new homes. A wonderful vet at work made it possible and everything fell into place in a matter of days. Good luck and Godspeed to "Out From Africa"!

2 members found this post helpful.

Congrats! What wonderful news!

Default Sue, thanks so much

My heart is full. Thank you.

Default Bawling now

Please consider posting this on the Finger Lakes Finests threads.

It's because of horses like Africa that I want to be happily poor taking care of ex-racers. I wonder what has become of Brooke Haley...maybe I don't want to know.

what splendid news! Thank you so much for doing all of this for this wonderful horse!

He is a beautiful horse and New Vocations is a great program Good work CharingHounds!
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by CharingHounds View Post
    Good news:
    About an hour ago, Africa stepped onto a van bound for "New Vocations" in Ohio. They evaluate, school, and match retired TBs to new homes. A wonderful vet at work made it possible and everything fell into place in a matter of days. Good luck and Godspeed to "Out From Africa"!
    Thank you Sue, for all you have done this year and in the past for the wonderful FL horses! I am so thrilled that you got Africa to the condition and peace of mind where New Vocations will take him in -- they are a wonderful program and will be very careful about the home they find for him.
    And you just recently stepped up to help Hot Brew too! Keep us FLFinest Trainer listings volunteers updated on her, not only so we can follow how she is doing, but so we can try to help find her an eventual permanent home.

Sharing Out From Africa's happy ending. Thanks to New Vocations - they are absolutely fantastic.
    http://offtrackthoroughbreds.com/201...to-great-life/

1 members found this post helpful.

I wish there were more people like you in this world. Thank you so much for reaching out to one of these war horses. There is nothing that tugs on my heart strings more than these horses who have given it there all but maybe are tired, cranky and just not what the typical buyer wants. I absolutely cried to read his story. It reminds me so much of my horse who has done such a turn around in personality after racing until age 8 with 58 starts. They do come around in time but they just need people to show them it is okay to trust.

Yay for everybody involved in rehoming Out From Africa!

YEAH! I have adopted 2 OTTB from New Vocations, they are fabulous! Can't wait to see him on their website.

1 members found this post helpful.

Aww...looks like he landed in a soft spot! That's great.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Well . . . a bit hard to type through the tears in my eyes, but, CharingHounds, you are my hero.

I remember this thread when it was first posted, and I am so, so happy that this horse beat the odds and found the perfect home.

You are the best.