The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Christian Garweg

He has recently done 2 clinics in my area. I missed the first one but auditted the second one. I am told the 2 were very different. I didn't get a lot (any?) explanation as to what he was trying to accomplish with some of the exercises as I didnt' get there until the 3 evening of a 4 day clinic. And most of the horses the horses that evening were much further ahead than my Tr/1st level mare and me.

Any insight?

I've trained with Christian for a few years and he is really a genius when it comes to drilling down what exactly the issue is with a horse/rider combination. There is improvement in each session, but it is TOTALLY individualized. And he deconstructs a lot too, so it might be hard to see the big picture if you just dropped in at one point. He is looking for a horse that's swinging freely over the back, and a rider who doesn't interfere with the horse. That said, with his individual approach, he tends to push people out of their comfort zone, and some deal better with that than others. I started with him when I couldn't even sit the trot yet on a big moving shoolmaster, and I got the same attention as the people riding at PSG. Last year he got me from 1st to showing 3rd successfully in 6 months on another schoolmaster. He really takes responsibility for improving each rider and horse, so you get a lot of bang for your buck. You can find out more about him on his website, and feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. http://www.christiangarweg.com and email him too if you like.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

wow I rode with Christian some years back and I totally agree- he's deeply committed to moving his riders up and he's a completely no nonsense guy. I wouldn't recommend him if you are simply looking for someone to tell you that you're awesome- go to him if you are really looking to improve. He's absolutely one of the best clinicians available. Nice to hear he's back in the states.

I have ridden with christian a number of times with my older gelding, he did some in hand work with my young horse when he was still a stallion and a little bit under saddle - be prepared to work hard but the progress is amazing.

he is very dedicated - I haven't done a lot with him and my youngster under saddle yet, only a couple times - but will probably do more over the winter.