The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ready for hunting

Just got my hunting licenses (online - how lovely!) and will print out 5 - one to put in the pocket of each hunt coat, one to keep in the truck, one for the trailer. My steady old foxhunter has been out on the hunt trail rides this spring and late summer, so he's all primed and ready. Newly shod on Friday, will be clipping him this week (he's already sprouting a winter coat due to his age), just washed the trailer down this morning so it looks sparkling clean, have the winter blankets all cleaned, re-water proofed, and stacked, ready to use. Now need to polish up the boots to have them shiny by next weekend when we start cubbing.

Who else is getting ready...and excited?

Cleaned tack, have been legging up pony, all winter blankets are ready to go to get cleaned and reproofed.

Will clip pony in 2-3 weeks.

I'm just about ready!!

Yup - finishing legging up both horses - farrier is out tomorrow for shoes and pads, coats back from the dry cleaner - rips repaired, broken in my new boots, got my license, I'm just about ready. Hoping for a mild winter.

Hope everyone has a terrific season.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

We areroar ding on horseback until cub hunting starts in mid-September. . The anticipation is killing me. New season, new horse- ready to rock and roll.

Default ENJOY ``` THE SEASON

ENJOY THE SEASON ```
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Our cubing was supposed to have started this past Sat, DAMN IRENE!!!

Not that I was gonna be able to go....

I won't be able to start til mis Sept.

What are the licences referred to above?

^ A state hunting license. In the US you need a hunting license to hunt and fish wildlife that is not on your own property. The licenses are administered and controlled by the various state governments, and all licensed hunters/fisherman are subject to the rules and regulations and "seasons" for each type of wildlife/fish that can be hunted.

Foxhunting falls under State control in all forms - with hounds on foot, with hounds on horseback, with traps, with guns, etc. There is a season (length of year) where license holders are allowed to hunt, and other months where hunting is prohibited.

All foxhunters are required to have a license, and must carry it on their person while engaged in the sport. There are various levels of licenses - some are for juniors, some for limited hunting, some for specific wildlife/fish, some for just local or just county or for statewide hunting.

I get a statewide hunting license in case I want to travel to different counties to foxhunt. If I want to go to other states, I can buy a limited time license from that state for the period of time I'm hunting there.

The fees collected by the state are used to help regulate and promote safe hunting, wildlife preservation, state gamelands, and other programs that help support and maintain hunting and fishing.

Example: Link to Virginia hunting licenses online