The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer tie preferences -- bungee, velcro "safety" type, regular nylon or?

So I'm outfitting a new trailer and deciding what type of trailer ties to use.

The bungee ones are supposed to keep the beasties from panicking, the safety types are supposed to keep them from scrambling and straining, and the nylon types are suppose to keep them up and in place, regardless.

Which do you prefer and why?

Also, do you use the panic snap on the trailer side or on the horse side? I've seen arguments for both.

TIA

Hands down the velcro safety times. I have seen them in action twice and the horse (not mine) had to exert quite a bit of pressure, yet they did release before things got ugly. The main reason I use ties in the trailer is so my horse doesn't turn his head around and over the divider (have seen that happen also.)
    Plus you still have a handle to grab horse AND you don't have a broken tie. Just put it back together and it's good as new.

These are similar to the ones I use:
    http://www.saddlersrow.com/Equips-Sa.../317eip001.htm

(I never, ever, ever use bungees around horses. Don't care what they say, it's a good way for a horse to lose an eye.)

Of course, teaching your horse to tie is first and foremost.
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Long bungees (so they're not stretched when the horse has his/her head in a regular position). I would, however, like to switch to velcro.. another perk with those is that you can adjust the length! We have the velcro crossties and I've seen them in action. They're awesome.

I try to get all three effects by using The Clip and a sturdy, but ultimately breakable, leather halter.
    http://www.smarttieproducts.com/

You couldn't pay me to use a bungee tie. Scary things can happen when the horse finally breaks it and it goes wanging off into space, often back toward the horse's face/eye, with broken metal attached to it.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Aug. 28, 2011 at 11:19 AM.

Agree with the above poster on the bungee danger danger!

I use regular nylon, non adjustable. If you are concerned with them needing to break free, haul in a leather halter. I'd rather have a horse have a tantrum and no be able to go anywhere, than throw a tantrum and learn they can do that and get free and create a new bad behavior.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Step AWAY from the bungees!!! Seriously, though, no one just ties with their lead ropes?? One less thing to buy.....just sayin'.

I can't believe bungees are even offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Step AWAY from the bungees!!! Seriously, though, no one just ties with their lead ropes?? One less thing to buy.....just sayin'.
    That's what I do. Loop of baling twine to the tie ring, pony club release knot to that.

Then again I also train all my equines (mule included!) to load well, trailer well, and unload well. No need for physically restraining them in the trailer.

Velcro, adjustable ties with a leather halter for back up. I use them everywhere, trailers, crossties, and tying to the trailer if I need too.

The velcro pulls apart, so there is very little "snap" or a sudden release. I used to have some with an elastic insert. They were great because they had some give, but the velcro would release before the elastic. But I can't find them anymore.

I always put the panic snap away from the horse. I have yet to be able to reach a panicking horse's face! They may have a snap chasing them, but they aren't breaking their neck either!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

I had a patient in the ER with a broken nose from a bungee type cross tie gone bad. Replaced all mine the next day.

I have a cut-down cotton leadrope attached to baling string attached to the loop on the trailer full time. Easy, cheap, effective. I just load horse, put up butt bar, attach tie, remove regular lead rope and throw in truck. I could just tie regular lead to a loop of twine, but that's a bit more fiddly for me... Always a leather halter for trailering.

I just can't imagine tying a horse anywhere with bungies. Yikes.

Blocker tie ring with a cotton rope is what I use. Safe for horse and human.

A co-worker was unclipping a horse in a trailer. The horse was secured with a bungee tie. The horse slammed back on the bungee, the panic snap on the halter gave way and sprung into the top of her hand. The force broke the knuckle of her pinky finger. Her hand is in a cast for 7 more weeks. (Yes, there was human error in that the owner opened the back trailer door before knowing for certain the horse was unclipped)

Cotton lead rope/bailing twine breakaway

OR

Velcro

Both have worked very nicely for us under totally normal trailering conditions, and both have broken away perfectly when something went awry.

NO BUNGEE!! Partner had a horse somehow (and come on, they're horses, and they do these things) get her head under the bungee, turn to look over her back, stretched the bungee to its max, and then pull. She rode for two hours with her nose pinned around to her shoulder because the bungee was pulling her halter back over her neck. Full year of rehab thanks to the nerve damage in her neck.

No bungee no bungee *no bungee*

Not around horses. Ever.

Unless you want eyes poked out

I have Turtle Snaps and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    I try to get all three effects by using The Clip and a sturdy, but ultimately breakable, leather halter.
    http://www.smarttieproducts.com/

You couldn't pay me to use a bungee tie. Scary things can happen when the horse finally breaks it and it goes wanging off into space, often back toward the horse's face/eye, with broken metal attached to it.
    What she said!

Those bungees are dangerous. For trailering, I use the Clip with a little shorter lead rope. I don't like any sort of tie that gives a sudden pop and release, like velcro, those breakable fuses, or baling twine.

I also always put the panic snaps away from the horse and the brass clips attatched to the halter.. it's not like the panic snaps are easy to undo anyways!!

Another vote for no bungees! I can't believe they still sell they for tying horses. Bad idea!!

I tie (to keep Caesar from turning around in the trailer, because he *would* try that!) with a cotton lead looped into a blocker ring. If he pulls free of the ring he is wearing a lead, that makes me feel a little better. The baling string fuse works great too.

I saw someone lose the vision in their eye after a horse set back with a bungee tie. They were lucky not to lose their eye-the hardware is what finally broke, the tie flew like a bullet and struck the person who was standing a "safe" distance away from the struggling horse trying to get it untied/calmed.

I prefer to trailer untied when I can, otherwise I use long cotton leads and tie in a quick release to a doubled piece of twine, with the tie long enough that the horse can get it's head down but not so long it can get turned around.

In a pinch I use a regular cotton trailer tie with the panic snap on the trailer end (again to a doubled piece of twine)
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Default In my personal experience, bungee ties are dangerous.

A woman at my barn received a serious head injury when the bungee tie released and the metal clip hit her. I personally observed this. The bungee caused such a serious head injury that she had to have a portion of her skull removed to relieve the swelling.

Bungees are the devil. My friend's gelding sat back on one, then backed all the way out of a 2H slant...it finally frayed in the middle and freed him. Scary as Hell to witness.

I haul untied but if I did have to tie, I like Turtle Snaps a lot.