The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default favorite kids books

Looking for some Christmas ideas for my soon to be 2yo... for now and the future. So, what are your favorite kids' books?

My nephew loves the Skippyjon Jones books.
    We are originally from Louisiana, so he really loves his Goodnight Nola book and will quote it for you.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Ha ha- we live in CO and have the Goodnight Nola book that MIL brought back from a trip there.

This might be WAY into the future, but as a kid I LOVED Roald Dahl and will be expanding my collection for my son someday *grin*

My personal favorite was The BFG, which I still have a copy of to enjoy every now and then

For when he's a little over - EB White *grin* (I have a boxed set of The Trumpet of the Swan, Stuart Little, and Charlotte's Web)

I saw another one recently... The Cricket of Times Square, that I need to pick up

And Dr. Suess. The Sneetches, and Horton Hatches the Egg are on the must-buy list too!
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Some of my 3 y.o.'s faves include:

Where the Wild Things Are
    Goodnight Moon
    Dr. Seuss - Cat in the Hat, Hop on Pop, One Fish Two Fish, etc.
    Frog and Toad series (Arnold Lobel)
    Chrysanthemum
    The Giant Jam Sandwich
    Curious George series
    The Icky Sticky Frog
    Strega Nona

We've been reading these to him for over a year.

I think it's important to remember that it's okay to read books that are "over their heads" a bit. That's how they develop language skills and grow their vocabulary. Let your child pick the story and read it night after night if that's what they want. It can be maddening to read the same book for two weeks, but they are engaged in reading and literacy is such a gift! Eventually their language skills develop to where you can have an actual conversation about what you're reading which develops their analytical skills. It's great to see kids soak up knowledge!

Is Goodnight Nola by the people who do a series of "Good Night ______"? We have "Good Night North Carolina" and "Good Night Ocean" that just have to be looked at every night before bed. I won't say that we read them because I refuse to say "Good morning, sea lions and sea otters! So nice to see you!" but I ad lib commentary. My DS adores them.

My almost-2 loves this "100 Animals" book with, you guessed it, 100 different kinds of animals in it, and all sorts of books with pictures to identify. He likes the slide and find type too. I refuse to buy "character" books like Dora, etc. so I don't know if he would like those or not.

I love Bill Peet! His books are kinda old, but they rhyme and are so cute!
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

What was the one about the younger Malloy daughter? School for young riders would have some boys riding in it.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

I just picked up a Richard Scary book at Border's going out of business sale. I remember loving those books when I was little, and my 4 year old spent an hour yesterday laughing at the pictures.

Some of my daughters' favorites, she is 4-- but these are ones we've been reading for a while

King Bidgoods in the Bathtub (my favorite)
    the Bat books--- Bats at the library, Bats at the beach.

the llama series-- llama llama red pajama...etc.

I've stopped buying books--we have hundreds, my parents saved ALL of my childhood books--

so we take bi-weekly trips to the Library, the Henry and Mudge
    series is also cute.

I just love Caroline Kenedy's compilation: A Family of Poems. Lovely poetry and amazing illustrations. Not a cutesy-kiddy-teehee book, but one that will be enjoyable for parents to read to their children and for children to listen to and read themselves for many years to come.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

All of the board books by Sandra Boynton:

http://www.amazon.com/Sandra-Boynton...r_dp_pel_pop_1

Those were a big hit with my daughter when she was 2. I wish we had saved them, but we gave all her little kid books away when we moved.

Any of the Dr Seuss books.

Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
    Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin
    If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff
    If You Give a Pig a Pancake by Laura Joffe Numeroff

Oh, and the Little Critter books:

http://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Mayer/e...25024&sr=1-182
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I LOVED Richard Scary and Bill Peet when I was a kid.

We used Bill Peet books to teach my little brother to read, and he's buying everything the man wrote so he'll have a set for his own kids. If you haven't read any of them, start with "Cowardly Clyde"--he's a horse.
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    This might be WAY into the future, but as a kid I LOVED Roald Dahl and will be expanding my collection for my son someday *grin*

My personal favorite was The BFG, which I still have a copy of to enjoy every now and then

For when he's a little over - EB White *grin* (I have a boxed set of The Trumpet of the Swan, Stuart Little, and Charlotte's Web)

I saw another one recently... The Cricket of Times Square, that I need to pick up

And Dr. Suess. The Sneetches, and Horton Hatches the Egg are on the must-buy list too!
    Have you read Road Dahl's autobiography "Boy"? I highly recommend that if you are a Road Dahl fan.

For that two year old age, I really like the Doctor Seuss' Go Dog Go and Green Eggs and Ham. You can read them in a very interactive way with one kid or a small group - and it's really a lot of fun. These are such great books to draw the kid into them and have them participate.

A little later: I see that Shel Silverstein isn't mentioned yet. His books of short poems are great, especially Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Fritz and the Beautiful Horses is my all time favorite kids book. It's such a wonderful story, and there are great illustrations. Jan Brett is a great author and illustrator, her other books are all good too.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Ditto the fun Boynton board books, Dr. Seuss, Richard Scary.

Our kiddos all loved a book of classic nursery rhymes, which are fun and rhythmic and easy to memorize. And a little less classic, but Clifford (the Big Red Dog) books! Lots of stories, with really lovely, kind themes.

Also, the Narnia books by CS Lewis. We read them aloud to 3 and 4 year olds, and our kids enjoyed reading them alone later as their reading skills developed.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

The Very Hungry Caterpillar was my absolute favorite book as a kid, I would read it constantly!

Loved the Narnia books, also Beatrix Potter.

Boynton board books are a hit with the toddler set.

My favorite book of all time was Old Black Witch.

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Black-Witc.../dp/0027291855

Another favorite I remember from my childhood was The Farm Book.

http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Book-Gold.../dp/0307581179

My older sisters still complain about how I had Old Black Witch memorized and would notice if they skipped a word.

The Story of Ferdinand...I still LOVE that book and so do my girls!