The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lessons on vacation, any ideas?

Amateur hunter rider, looking for a special vacation to celebrate a milestone birthday (yeah, 50 and proud!) Thoughts of a riding school in Germany, foxhunting in Ireland, anyone have some references? Most likely solo. Looked at many websites, but feel some first hand referrals may guide me better. Would love to advance my jumping skills with instruction-- more than just a riding vacation. Many thanks.

I am interested in the same thing in Switzerland or Germany. If you find anything good, let me know please.

If $$ isn't a concern, you could look into Gleneagles in Scotland. They could probably put together some sort of intensive program for you.

(I was there several years ago for 6 weeks of BHS training. The horses were decent and the instruction was fabulous.)

I have been twice to ride w/ Aille Cross in Ireland. Once was a fabulous cross country, inn to inn type vacation. The second time was to fox hunt. The hunting vacation was actually Tues/Thurs/Sat hunting and other days just out riding. once to a cross country type course where we played over the various obstacles. The people are GREAT; the horses are awesome, there are no language issues. Connemara region is beautiful. I'd go there!!

Regarding lessons, I'd question what the real value would be depending on what you do at home. They don't have show hunters there, and i dont know how open the GOOD jumper riders are to vacation type clients. I'd go just to have fun and the experience of riding across all types of terrain in some different horses and enjoy it!

Edited to add that this would be excellent as a solo traveler; I went w/ another person but have done several US vacations solo. loved the daytime group experience yet having peace and quiet after dinner/cocktails to read and relax on my own. You will be fine on just about any riding trip. Check out Equitours; they screen their locations well and have many options...