The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I'm always hungry!

I swear I am hungry all hours of the day even if I've just eaten a full course meal.

Right now I weight in at 160lbs and I'm 5'5"

I would like to be back at 130lbs. So that's a 30lb loss.

I do work out 4-5 times a week. An hour or so of cardio and then 20 minutes of weights. Between these workouts at the gym I go for walks and bike rides. I do ride as well, but only once a week. I am hoping to change that soon if I can or pick up some barn work.

My main job is fairly sedentary. When I'm not doing that I'm sitting in a classroom.

My issue is I just can't get rid of my appetite. I do try to stick to healthy foods and fresh produce but sometimes I find myself having strong cravings for carbs in the form of crackers or something like that.

Does anyone have any tips for appetite curbing? I know that's where I really need to work (eat less) to lose the weight.

If anyone has any healthy and quick snack suggestions that they like please feel free to share. I don't always have the time to do timely cooking and prep.

One thing I will give myself is that I DO NOT like fast food or red meat. So I don't need to work on temptations in that area.

I know there is usually at least one weight loss thread every Off Topic Day...I just had to ask and see what others are eating.

It's not like I just have small munchies or cravings I get so hungry I can't concentrate on anything else other than what to eat.

I usually eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with a snack between each.

beef jerky!! protein packed snack! I never thought I would like it, but I read about the "primal" diet and saw that it is actually a really good snack, so I tried it and actually like it! just wish it wasn't so expensive!
    Or try a protein bar for a snack, they really tend to curb your appetite and, again, are packed with protein.

I wont eat beef jerky. I should correct my original post because I will not eat cow or pig. I just don't like it and I'm not interested lol

Chicken or turkey I am OK with.

I could look into protein bars. Just have to find one with low fat and calorie content.

You need to get your thyroid tested ASAP, and probably should go to a real endocrinologist for a full testing panel. Also, if you are on Lexapro or Celexa, those will both make you ravenous. I gained 30 lbs over five years on Lexapro. I switched to Wellbutrin in April and have lost 25 lbs. The constant urge to eat all the time stopped like turning off a switch.

See your doctor.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Back in late June/early July I did go to my doctor because I was peeing all of the time. I really think my body is just overactive at everything it does...eat, sweat, pee...but I digress.

She tested me for diabetes. Negative.
    She tested my thyroid because she thought it felt a little large. Completely normal.
    Tested urine for multiple things and kidney function. Normal.
    Did a few blood tests and some of it included metabolic stuff and cholesterol. Normal.

She put me on doxycycline just in case there was an infection not show itself but that didn't do anything but give me a stomach ache while I was on it.

I am thinking of calling the doctor back soon to discuss further options...but in the meantime..

ah, ok, no beef jerky...maybe try some trail mix, or even yogurt. I think it all depends on what you are eating for the main meals and what you are snacking on. If the main meals have too much sugar and not enough protein, they can cause you to still feel hungry.
    I also 2nd the suggestion to talk to your doctor. I didn't realize until after a regular blood test that my thryroid was slightly underactive...and yes, I was always hungry. But, again, depending on what I eat for my regular meals, I can tend to be more hungry if it is not substantial.
    Good luck! I know how frustrating it can be.

Oh, also try sipping water all day, and chewing gum...I have found both of those tend to curb my appetite.

If I do not eat enough protein I am constantly hungry. A small handful of almonds helps me.

If I am hungry because I am bored, then things that take a while to eat, like celery sticks work well.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Water, water, water!! Many times, you might feel hungry when your body is actually thirsty. Carry a (reusable) water bottle with you as much as possible. It will make all the difference!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post

I usually eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with a snack between each.
    Before each meal you should really consider taking a fiber supplement or a glucomannan capsule with a full, large glass of water before you eat. The contents of the capsules expand in your stomach making you feel less hungry before the meal even begins, causing you to eat less. Also, just straight up avoid eating white, processed grains and breads, eat beans when you can, and avoid the cupcakes (my personal weakness...).
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

I always find nuts, esp. peanuts, curb my appetite pretty well. Remember, fat does not make you fat.....carbs do, however.

Go for the proteins!
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Carefully check your medications and changes, if any. I posted about something similar last OT day or a few OT days ago, pondering whether it was going off Topamax that was causing my problems. I ended up going back on Topamax because my migraines were not being managed without it, and instantly the insatiable hunger was gone. FWIW.

Otherwise, when I HAD the insatiable hunger, I dealt by eating high bulk, low cal foods as much as possible, lots of fruit and veggies, and not eating until I was ravenous. I am not a breakfast eater, then I could barely hold off until 10 a.m. for lunch and now I am back to normal, I have lots of coffee for breakfast, maybe a Clif Z Bar on the weekends and eat at noon.

I also have a wonky yo-yo thyroid, sometimes I go in and have it tested and it is borderline hypo, the next time it is back in the normal range, the next hypo. I would have it tested again in a few months if you are still having issues.

I'm also almost always hungry.

My breakfast/snack suggestion is Fiber One bran cereal. I buy a generic version that is $1.77 for 15 servings. I eat a full cup (2 servings) for breakfast. It's only 120 calories, is sugar free, and gives me 100% of my daily fiber. It actually keeps me full for about 2 hours which is all I can hope for. I imagine it would also make a rather filling snack.

The only other thing that helps is spreading out my snacks/meals. I eat small amounts five times a day and that keeps the edge off. The only time I don't notice my hunger is when I'm at the barn.

Also, (just thought of this) you could go on an alternative diet such as a vegetarian or vegan one. When I went vegetarian I lost about 7 pounds and I wasn't heavy to begin with. Veganism cuts out even more fat and cholesterol from animal products, so you could probably achieve some drastic weight loss if you decided to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerChem View Post
    I'm also almost always hungry.

My breakfast/snack suggestion is Fiber One bran cereal. I buy a generic version that is $1.77 for 15 servings. I eat a full cup (2 servings) for breakfast. It's only 120 calories, is sugar free, and gives me 100% of my daily fiber. It actually keeps me full for about 2 hours which is all I can hope for. I imagine it would also make a rather filling snack.
    Why don't you try making a pot of quick cooking steel cut oatmeal for breakfast loaded up with your favorite fresh or dried fruit and nuts? This is such a tasty option and usually keeps me full for 4 or so hours.

I would suggest veggies for the cravings when you know you've had enough food. Celery with a bit of peanut butter, carrots, tomatoes or cucumbers with salt, beet greens sauteed with vinegar and so on. If you need protein, try greek yogurt with cut up fruit for sweetness. It is super low cal if you get the low fat/fat free versions, but has tons of protein. The only downside is the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Kealit View Post
    . It is super low cal if you get the low fat/fat free versions, but has tons of protein. The only downside is the price.
    The nonfat greek yogurt is actually stuffed with preservatives which are very difficult for your body to digest/expel, so most nutritionists actually recommend that you go for the 2% greek yogurt. Losing weight shouldn't necessarily about getting the weight off as fast as possible: It should be about getting healthy, detoxing if necessary, and living in balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Equestrian View Post
    Why don't you try making a pot of quick cooking steel cut oatmeal for breakfast loaded up with your favorite fresh or dried fruit and nuts? This is such a tasty option and usually keeps me full for 4 or so hours.
    I can no longer eat oatmeal after eating quick oats for breakfast for five years in grad school because oats bought in bulk are so cheap. I won't eat baked potatoes or macaroni anymore for the same reason. $60/month for food ruined some things.

I'm sure it would be tasty, if more calorie dense than my current cereal, for anyone who does like oatmeal.

Ah... I used to have your problem. Now I have the "I eat everything under the sun and can't gain" -5'8, 115/120lbs. Doctors haven't figured me out yet, either. I crave, crave, crave fruits and veggies. I think I want meat when I'm out but usually end up chowing down on the salad and potato.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Equestrian View Post
    The nonfat greek yogurt is actually stuffed with preservatives which are very difficult for your body to digest/expel, so most nutritionists actually recommend that you go for the 2% greek yogurt.
    Wouldn't these be listed on the ingredient list, even just as "preservatives"? The Chobani brand for ex has nothing but milk and bacterial cultures listed, even in their 0% version. Their website specifically says the products contain no preservatives, artificial colors, etc, as does Fage's website.

I have this if I eat lots of sugar or simple carbs. To loose weight all I do is no-carb for a week. Weight off and appetite down.

My dad would be diabetic if he didnt watch what he eats (veggies and meats, few carbs) so thats probably whats up with me. Blood sugar goes wonky and appetite goes up.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker