The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post
    But I can be PISSED that she spouts blatant hatred every time she opens her mouth about her views on gay rights (or lack thereof) and the woman's place in modern society. If she's the one using her religious beliefs to justify her bigotry, then she is welcome to do that. If she were talking about African American people, or Asians, or the Latino community, no one would think twice about condemning her for her "beliefs". Because it's the gays, though, saying homosexuality causes cancer is just fine, right? What if she just said "I don't think gay people should get married because being gay is wrong" and never brought religion into it? Would that be okay? Does the religion factor justify the exclusion?

I'm all for people believing whatever they want to believe. But when that belief system begins to seep into our government, and worse, threatens the basic rights of minorities in this country, it's become more than simple religion. If Michele Bachmann were sitting around in her living room talking about how gay people are ruining the fabric of America and proclaiming that the legalization of gay marriage threatens the well-being of America's children, I wouldn't even give it two thoughts. But she's running for PRESIDENT. And supports legislation that seeks to permanently prevent millions of Americans from enjoying their basic rights. THAT is the problem.
    By all means, then, continue with the political rhetoric. The louder the better, and the more vitriolic, the better. That is what the media thrives on and therefore gives Bachmann more attention. This is why the moderates get no attention from the media. They are too busy reporting on the ugliness of politics.

Bachman creates her own political rhetoric, and when she gets people thinking that Christians are being vilified it is all the better for her campaign. Your assertion of being vilified is what the media loves.

Some people are so funny !

Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post
    What Christians don't like the fact that they are forced more and more to hide their religion behind closed doors.
    Its not hide it behind closed doors so much as not shoving it down everyone else's throat. IMO religion should be your private thing. I don't want to hear about that anymore than I want to know what you and your spouse do in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefish View Post
    Its not hide it behind closed doors so much as not shoving it down everyone else's throat. IMO religion should be your private thing. I don't want to hear about that anymore than I want to know what you and your spouse do in bed.
    And so often, it seems they're extremely interested in what you and your partner do in bed... bizarre. I don't like the government in my pockets any more than my neighbor, but I see it as a necessary evil. I definitely don't want the government in my uterus or in my pants, and for the life of me, cannot see how that could possibly be necessary in this or any other life...
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Bachman creates her own political rhetoric, and when she gets people thinking that Christians are being vilified it is all the better for her campaign. Your assertion of being vilified is what the media loves.

Some people are so funny !
    +1,000,000.

'kay, I'm going to bed but I have one BURNING question.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse, do you really have a horse named French Fry? Is that his/her show name or barn name? That's a totally funny and unique show name if true - I once thought about French Toast but wasn't brave enough to go through with it.

I did have my dear, horse of a lifetime, and his name was French Fry. I am approaching the one year anniversary of him removing the gate from his pasture (at 23 years old) and being struck by a car and killed. Here is a picture:

http://image62.webshots.com/162/4/70...2ZELIcl_ph.jpg

His show name was Sugartown.

Great picture thanks for sharing it,really liked it and is really very good.

Some people seem to be missing the point that religion is only involved in this discussion because Ms Bachmann herself is using it as justification to say incredibly rude and insulting things about other people.

Go back and read that again.

People naturally get pissed off when someone behaves in a rude and insulting manner. So it really shouldn't come as a shock when her insults draw an angry response. Most of us learned that little lesson by age 5 or so. Bop someone in the nose, you don't get to cry "victim" if they bop you back.
    ---------------------------

She was an IRS employee, not a private tax attorney.
    LMAO.

Really, my SO's dad is/was an IRS employee.... talk about welfare. 40 hour weeks. Now retired and gets a giant pension, plus an hourly consulting fee. His pension could support 3 families of 4....

Don't get me wrong, I think Govt workers deserve a good living.... and he appreciates it and is a liberal. But for someone who is so hell bent on capitalism and competitiveness to have taken advantage of working for the IRS for years is just rich.

Just read the news. You hear more and more in the news about the Christian right being a terrorist organization along with the Tea Party. If there were ever two groups that loved this country more than these two, I'll eat my shoe. What Christians don't like the fact that they are forced more and more to hide their religion behind closed doors.

I am not a Bachmann supporter. I do think what has been reported about her views are extremes. What I do object to regarding Bachmann is that she is being told here that she cannot use her beliefs to help her make decisions, regardless of what those decisions are for lest they make her look like an extremist. People here are objecting and judging her by her admitted 3 day fast to help her make the correct decision to run for Congress. What the hell is wrong with that? Nothing. It was a personal decision. She has not said she fasted for 3 days before deciding how to vote on the debt ceiling. It was a PERSONAL decision that she decided she needed to connect with her God before making. And when she is honest about it, she gets vilified and demeaned - i.e. persecuted.

I am tired of defending this woman. She is not my choice by a long shot, but I do respect her religious beliefs. They are hers, but not mine. Her Congressional decisions are between her and the constituents who elected her, and no one else. You don't like her views? Don't vote for her. That does not mean you are free to vilify her beliefs.

PS - was not the original Tea Party in protest of taxation (without representation) on tea? Or has history been once again rewritten?
    That's the thing. They love their country. Not ours. Their country is small and insular, doesn't give equal rights to gays and denies women the right to choose, insists on forcing their religious views into public education, etc. There's a huge difference because the country they think they love isn't America.

Here we go, she's at it again; from a speech in Florida:

"I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending."

This kind of rhetoric just makes her look as extreme as John Hagee and rather absurd. I'd like to get her take on all other earthquakes, hurricanes and volcanic eruptions...wonder what this country did to cause God to be so angry with us. Hey Michelle, perhaps a little more science education and you'd know what causes earthquakes and hurricanes.

I guess the drought in Texas is God's message to Perry? What's next, plague and locusts?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

These "politicains" all seem to be reactionary bigots. They have lost sight of the job description. Selfish, greedy, brain dead bastards.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Can someone explain to me this war against Christian people?

I must explain, I don't watch cable news or really national news. I try to catch the late local news and read the local newspaper over lunch but honestly, I work 7:30-4pm at a financial firm and then 5-7pm at another company so when I get home I hit the DVR for my favorite shows and then go to bed.

In my daily life (where I interact with 50-100 people daily), I see no destruction of the Christian way of life. I do, however, sometimes walk by the cafeteria TV and hear some cable news, but the anger just seems too disconnected from real life.

A few years ago the national news picked up a story of a school district "changing Christmas break to Winter break". The truth of the ordeal as reported by the local news was that there was no decision, the person doing the calendar had just typed it differently.

But that sort of thing always makes me wonder... If changing school break to 'holiday' isn't that actually a 'Christian' thing to do because it offers the joy of the season to all people?

At a previous job (well, the one that went part time), I had a very diverse team. Of course most were Christian but we had a Muslim and a Jew, so when we decorated the call center for the holidays we did it for all holidays. Childish probably (but there is a lot of that kind of stuff in call centers, anything to get people to come to work and get on the phone, haha). But really, everyone participated, experiences and traditions were shared, and there were warm fuzzies all around.

And I honestly think that despite what Bachmann, etc. say, that MY experience is a more realistic representation of there American experience than what the national media portrays.

I honestly it kind of starts pissing me off when people start that ONLY CHRISTMAS thing every year. To me, that's negative and divides people. I can't wait until candidates get to start that crap in November so I can see who jumps in and who doesn't. Not because it will tell me who is Christian but because it will tell me who's a jerk.

It's not nice to make fun of someone's religious practices.

I like somethings about her, but overall, not so much. Her oddities will keep her from being a viable candidate more so than foot in mouth syndrome. How else could we explain Biden?
    True, but I wouldn't want her making decisions on what she thought her god told her to do....the god that caused the earthquake in Mineral VA and Irene because he was displeased....
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

.... BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN SPOUT HATRED AT HER FOR HER BELIEFS.
    Of course you can.

Prepare for it to be not well received by some, but we do still have freedom of speech (for the most part). It's not like some (many) Christians don't spout hate towards non Christians, loudly and often, for goodness sakes.

I'm so sick of the vocal minority within the Christian faith whining persecution.. and many of my Christian friends feel the same way.

If a Christian in America feels persecuted it would serve them well to examine honestly the reasons why and look within for some answers.
    I recognized with despair that I was about to be compelled to buy a horse ~
    Edith Somerville and "Martin Ross"

"Momma" to Tiempo, Tucker and Puff, RIP my beautiful Norman 8/2012

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Here we go, she's at it again; from a speech in Florida:

"I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending."

This kind of rhetoric just makes her look as extreme as John Hagee and rather absurd. I'd like to get her take on all other earthquakes, hurricanes and volcanic eruptions...wonder what this country did to cause God to be so angry with us. Hey Michelle, perhaps a little more science education and you'd know what causes earthquakes and hurricanes.

I guess the drought in Texas is God's message to Perry? What's next, plague and locusts?
    I always find it curious that people interpret these events as Messages from God that agree with their own opinions, and never as anything else. I always loved Jon Stewart's line about Hurricane Katrina, pointing out that the gay neighborhoods were actually spared, thus proving that God "hates the gay-adjacent."

I mean, isn't it just as likely that God is sending these events (drought, earthquakes, hurricanes) because He's horrified that Bachmann and Perry are running for President?

Or maybe it means He has been hanging out over in the Andromeda galaxy recently and isn't paying attention to Earth at all this decade.

There have always been hurricanes, earthquakes, and droughts and natural disasters of all kinds. To put our response and preparation in God's hands seems rather lazy to me. God helps those who help themselves, yes? Why even bother to have a President if we're just going to leave everything up to God? Let God pave the streets and tell us when to move inland because a hurricane is coming, right?

So I don't mind that Bachman is a Christian, not at all. What I mind is that her approach to problem-solving seems to be to pray rather than grabbing a wheelbarrow.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

It is not a politicians job to spout their religious beliefs, no matter what religion they practice. It is their job to serve and represent their constituents; those of ALL faiths and beliefs. They must speak/act for all faiths or none.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._