The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 99
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct. 5, 2008
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westcoasteventer View Post
    It speaks to her general decision-making process. Three days of fasting while waiting for god to speak to her doesn't really present the image of someone who will be able to make solid decisions in critical situations based on facts and analytical rigor. Just sayin'.
    This is sort of where I was going with it, dcm. I didn't want to seem like i was making fun of her religeous beliefs because I understand those beliefs -more her decision making process and her zeal to bring it into the public forum. Sorry if i came across that way. Lots of Republicans AND Democrats are really Religious but use more factual stuff when making decisions.



  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct. 5, 2008
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post
    Fine, so the process itself doesn't matter. What matters is Ms. Bachmann once stated that the federal government is gathering too much personal information about its subjects, referencing our PHONE NUMBERS as an example. Yet she has no problem with the feds participating in curing gays of "sexual dysfunction"? It boggles the mind...
    Hey. Can you explain what you mean by this - the part oabout feds participating in curing gays? I know her husband runs a clinic and I know that they have a psychology-oriented program to talk people out of being gay. DO they take federal money for this? I honestly don't know and you seem to, so can you explain this? I don't know anything about the Phone number thing, either. I try to keep up with all the candidates but I guess I'm not doing too good a job. Thanks.



  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaluna View Post
    Hey. Can you explain what you mean by this - the part oabout feds participating in curing gays? I know her husband runs a clinic and I know that they have a psychology-oriented program to talk people out of being gay. DO they take federal money for this? I honestly don't know and you seem to, so can you explain this? I don't know anything about the Phone number thing, either. I try to keep up with all the candidates but I guess I'm not doing too good a job. Thanks.
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/0...ce-Curing-Gays

    http://minnesotaindependent.com/5978...es-state-funds



  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec. 2, 2002
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,537

    Default

    Yes, Marcus Bachmann's clinic receives federal and state funds. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=13959369
    http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun...hmann-20110627

    When I say "government participation in curing gays" (which I didn't actually say), I mean MB has repeatedly said in dozens of different ways that she views homosexuality as a "sexual dysfunction" that is threatening America at a rapid rate. She has supported bills to define marriage between a man and a woman, and has indicated that she would support a bill to make same sex marriage illegal in her state. There is no indication thus far if she would pursue that in other states as president, but I don't really need more reason to be disgusted by this woman.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...



  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2006
    Location
    Larkspur, Colo.
    Posts
    5,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post
    I am lucky in my life that I have the opportunity to interact with people who aren't Americans. It's humbling to understand how the rest of the world views us with these dog and pony shows that are the Bachmanns and Palins. We're losing our credibility as a world power in SO many ways- Bachmann as president would really be the nail in the coffin.
    Humbled? Half of the world would look down on the US simply for electing any woman president.



  6. #46
    Join Date
    Oct. 5, 2008
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Humbled? Half of the world would look down on the US simply for electing any woman president.
    Germany and the EU would disagree.



  7. #47
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2000
    Location
    America, The Beautiful!
    Posts
    2,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Really, so if a Muslim was elected and wanted everyone to worship in a Mosque you would be fine with that ? If a Morman was elected and decided that Sunday's there would be no TV, no stores opened, and no one was allowed to drive you would be good with that ? What if politicians passed a law that only Catholic Church organizations were entitled to tax breaks ? That is all good with you ?
    We have a representative republic. If a constituency votes in a muslim who holds these beliefs, then so be it. I seriously doubt that one individual has enough sway to get the others going along with them on whatever religious ideology.



  8. #48
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2000
    Location
    America, The Beautiful!
    Posts
    2,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaluna View Post
    This is sort of where I was going with it, dcm. I didn't want to seem like i was making fun of her religeous beliefs because I understand those beliefs -more her decision making process and her zeal to bring it into the public forum. Sorry if i came across that way. Lots of Republicans AND Democrats are really Religious but use more factual stuff when making decisions.
    I hear what y'all are saying, but do y'all really think that one episode the woman shared with us concerning her very personal and private decision to run for office defines her? Quit making a mountain out of a mole hill.

    She speaks for her constituency. Please quit demeaning her for that. If you don't like her because you think she is a religious flake that is your problem.

    And no, I don't think she is a viable candidate because of the same reason I don't think Romney is a viable candidate. Bigotry against Christians of all ilk. It's rampant in this country so much that certain members of our society truly believe that Christians are terrorists, and more of a threat than the extremist muslims who have terrorized our country for over 20 years with bombings, beheadings, etc. It disgusts me to see the hatred directed towards the millions of people like myself who where born and raised here understanding that this was a Christian nation with tolerance for other religions. Jesus taught that we would be challenged and persecuted. To me, it looks like the real terrorists are winning.



  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2006
    Location
    Larkspur, Colo.
    Posts
    5,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaluna View Post
    Germany and the EU would disagree.

    You mean the EU whose currency is circling the drain as we speak?

    Do the words "Europe" and "austerity" ring a bell with anyone?

    I'm not a fan of Bachmann, but I'm not in any way, shape or form humbled by any European's disdain for my country.

    By the way, those would be the same countries who could never have afforded their socialist programs without relying on the might of the US military.



  10. #50
    Join Date
    Oct. 5, 2008
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    You mean the EU whose currency is circling the drain as we speak?

    Do the words "Europe" and "austerity" ring a bell with anyone?

    I'm not a fan of Bachmann, but I'm not in any way, shape or form humbled by any European's disdain for my country.
    Yea, cuz the EU is looking to Germany, headed by a female, for money because Germany is doing better than most other EU nations. My comment is directed towards your post about a female not being accepted as a leader.



  11. #51
    Join Date
    Oct. 5, 2008
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post
    I hear what y'all are saying, but do y'all really think that one episode the woman shared with us concerning her very personal and private decision to run for office defines her? Quit making a mountain out of a mole hill.

    She speaks for her constituency. Please quit demeaning her for that. If you don't like her because you think she is a religious flake that is your problem.

    And no, I don't think she is a viable candidate because of the same reason I don't think Romney is a viable candidate. Bigotry against Christians of all ilk. It's rampant in this country so much that certain members of our society truly believe that Christians are terrorists, and more of a threat than the extremist muslims who have terrorized our country for over 20 years with bombings, beheadings, etc. It disgusts me to see the hatred directed towards the millions of people like myself who where born and raised here understanding that this was a Christian nation with tolerance for other religions. Jesus taught that we would be challenged and persecuted. To me, it looks like the real terrorists are winning.
    you don't hear what I'm saying at all. I'm Christian. Born and raised. Practicing. Whole life. Am I a "real terrorist" because I'm a Christian but ask more of my elected officials than making decisions based on prayer vigils? Gimme a break.



  12. #52
    Join Date
    Aug. 27, 2008
    Posts
    395

    Default

    In a country that is supposed to be based in freedom, someone who is anti-gay and against women having a choice of what to do with their bodies, no she is not qualified to run for president. I am fiscally conservative. I have an MBA with a concentration in finance and am very familiar with monetary policy and the markets. I still, in no way, shape or form would vote for anyone who tries to tell me what to do with my uterus or who believes the gay people in my life don't deserve equal rights. And honestly, as a woman in business that works her ass off to be seen as an equal in places where the majority of people are men, I am extremely offended that she is apparently subservient to her husband. I could never respect that. How can you take someone seriously as a leader when they have stated they are subservient to someone else?



  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post
    Bigotry against Christians of all ilk. It's rampant in this country so much that certain members of our society truly believe that Christians are terrorists, and more of a threat than the extremist muslims who have terrorized our country for over 20 years with bombings, beheadings, etc. It disgusts me to see the hatred directed towards the millions of people like myself who where born and raised here understanding that this was a Christian nation with tolerance for other religions. Jesus taught that we would be challenged and persecuted. To me, it looks like the real terrorists are winning.
    There is a small but very vocal contingency of "Christians" in this country who have organized extremely effectively in order to be able to push their beliefs onto others. Unfortunately, for the majority of sane and reasonable Christians, these people have hijacked their reputation to some degree. Just like they have hijacked the republican party. And, as some would argue, the Tea Party.



  14. #54
    Join Date
    Oct. 5, 2008
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post
    Yes, Marcus Bachmann's clinic receives federal and state funds. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=13959369
    http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun...hmann-20110627

    When I say "government participation in curing gays" (which I didn't actually say), I mean MB has repeatedly said in dozens of different ways that she views homosexuality as a "sexual dysfunction" that is threatening America at a rapid rate. She has supported bills to define marriage between a man and a woman, and has indicated that she would support a bill to make same sex marriage illegal in her state. There is no indication thus far if she would pursue that in other states as president, but I don't really need more reason to be disgusted by this woman.
    You and sketcher, thanks for the links.



  15. #55
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Posts
    4,343

    Default

    As a middle class American, I'd rather see my life move towards the way a middle class person lives in Germany or Sweden than as a middle class person lives in China or India.



  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jan. 27, 2004
    Location
    Yonder, USA
    Posts
    2,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    There is a small but very vocal contingency of "Christians" in this country who have organized extremely effectively in order to be able to push their beliefs onto others. Unfortunately, for the majority of sane and reasonable Christians, these people have hijacked their reputation to some degree. Just like they have hijacked the republican party. And, as some would argue, the Tea Party.
    You forgot the part where they get wadded up and claim persecution when people disagree with them.
    ---------------------------



  17. #57
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    5,041

    Default

    "Religious persecution is the systematic mistreatment of an individual or group of individuals as a response to their religious beliefs or affiliations or lack thereof.

    The tendency of societies or groups within society to alienate or repress different subcultures is a recurrent theme in human history. Moreover, because a person's religion often determines to a significant extent his or her morality and personal identity, religious differences can be significant cultural factors." Wikki

    Since the original "tea partiers" were escaping religious persecution -by the Church of England-I think it is important to remember history. There are consequences to having politicians promote their own religions in governing people of ALL FAITHS and NON FAITHS. That very practice was what our founding fathers were escaping.

    I am dumbstruck that people can state that it is appropriate for a politician to govern by the dictates of their religion. I think American history needs to be taught each and every year in our schools based on the comments I have read here.



  18. #58
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2006
    Posts
    3,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post
    Bigotry against Christians of all ilk. It's rampant in this country so much that certain members of our society truly believe that Christians are terrorists, and more of a threat than the extremist muslims .
    Explain how there can be bigotry against the overwhelmingly majority religion? 78.4% identify themselves as Christian. How can it be "rampant" when Christians are the dominant religious force?
    Sheilah



  19. #59
    Join Date
    Feb. 24, 2005
    Posts
    2,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post
    I am lucky in my life that I have the opportunity to interact with people who aren't Americans. It's humbling to understand how the rest of the world views us with these dog and pony shows that are the Bachmanns and Palins. We're losing our credibility as a world power in SO many ways- Bachmann as president would really be the nail in the coffin.
    So, tell me. What do YOU say to people in Germany about America and Americans? Are you one of the Americans who goes around saying negative things about America? Do you tell others that you "feel oh so European" when at a pub? Just curious if you are one of "those". Do you build America up, or tear her down when you interact with people in Germany?



  20. #60
    Join Date
    Aug. 18, 2003
    Location
    Brenham, TX
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Could you please enlighten me on specific incidents of this horrible oppression of Christians?

    I tend to agree that this "persecution" is perceived just because not everyone agrees with them.

    I was raised Christian and although I am not an active church-goer still believe. However, I view things a little different than the ultra-right Christians.

    Of course, there are also white men out there that bemoan how hard it is for them. Really quite laughable. I guess being a white, male Christian might be about the most difficult thing to survive.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique



Similar Threads

  1. Spinoff from the Romel Thread
    By Wellspotted in forum Western
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Sep. 3, 2012, 04:13 AM
  2. Spinoff from the oxy thread
    By Curb Appeal in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jul. 3, 2011, 12:48 AM
  3. Spinoff- what should an OTTB be capable of?
    By Mukluk in forum Eventing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Mar. 7, 2011, 08:57 AM
  4. What *should* an average horse be capable of?
    By archieflies in forum Eventing
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: Mar. 1, 2011, 11:21 PM
  5. *Spinoff from Safechoice thread
    By dbadaro in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct. 15, 2009, 10:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness