The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Spinoff from Perry thread: Bachmann - capable or no?

What are your thoughts on Bachmann? Do you think she's capable to serve as president? Is she a serious contender?

Do you think she's capable to serve as president?
    No.

I don't disagree with her on many issues, but as a candidate I have some problems with what I know of her as a manager and a leader of people.

Her creative spinning of her utter lack of legislative accomplishments or leadership positions in 6 years in the House as somehow being part of her worldview on limited government ("it's a good thing for me to say 'no' and not create legislation!") is a bunch of hooey.

It's pretty hard to write and pass a bill with your colleagues when you're not well-liked and/or frantically flinging yourself in front of every TV camera.

I don't really keep up to date on politcal things but I did happen upon an article via Yahoo! not too long ago highlighting one of her quotes as "submissivie to her husband". I thought, there is no way you can have a submissive personality and be President of the US! NO way!!!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy Gray VA View Post
    Her creative spinning of her utter lack of legislative accomplishments or leadership positions in 6 years in the House as somehow being part of her worldview on limited government ("it's a good thing for me to say 'no' and not create legislation!") is a bunch of hooey
    HUH? She's got more legislative experience than the Marxist embarassment we have now. No experience, voted "present" for almost his one term. No history except a leftist thug...heck, find one of his students from college...just one! None...he's a blank slate people projected their desires onto...and hasn't all his experience really helped the country (especially all the great picks he made who are happily destroying the US).
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

HUH? The OP asked for an opinion on Michelle Bachman, not opinions on the President. I'm pretty sure we both share the same opinion of the latter, how 'bout keeping to the topic at hand?

I'd like an executive with a record to run on for an R candidate, and Michelle Bachmann ain't it.

Saying Bachmann is a good candidate because Obama is not doing a good job.....two wrongs don't make a right.

She is very similar to Obama in that she brings passion and the ability to get people wound up to the table so you overlook her capability. To *me* she is ver unrealistic and reminds me of the student council president candidate who promised to end home work and get the cafeteria to serve McDonalds and Pizza Hut.

I can't believe she is even being taken seriously. She could neve win a general election.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

She needs to keep her foot out of her mouth. It's her biggest fault. Not that I can blame her. If I ran for president, I'd have my foot in my mouth all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    I don't really keep up to date on politcal things but I did happen upon an article via Yahoo! not too long ago highlighting one of her quotes as "submissivie to her husband". I thought, there is no way you can have a submissive personality and be President of the US! NO way!!!
    You must be talking about this speech:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0rUBomKvY0

She also states where she fasted for 3 days waiting for God to tell her whether or not she should run for congress.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    HUH? She's got more legislative experience than the Marxist embarassment we have now. No experience, voted "present" for almost his one term. No history except a leftist thug...heck, find one of his students from college...just one! None...he's a blank slate people projected their desires onto...and hasn't all his experience really helped the country (especially all the great picks he made who are happily destroying the US).
    Hey Trak,

She actually doesn't have much experience in authoring bills and sending them through the process. I think she authored only one - the "lightbulb freedom" bill (I don't know what it's called but she referred to it like this in that first debate).

I have to say that her performance in general interviews and the last debate is alot better than I thought it would be but I don't think she could lead well. She seems to respond more than she leads. Her stance on the debt ceiling really scared me. Her $2 gas price stance couldn't possibly work - the US president doesn't control the world gas market. How could she actually promise gas prices like this unless the government subsidized that - and isn't she about small gov and few subsidies? Wierd and it doesn't fit her other stances.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia73 View Post
    She is very similar to Obama in that she brings passion and the ability to get people wound up to the table so you overlook her capability.
    Not a Rebup, but just wanted to jump in and say but that's a really good comparison, never thought of it, but really see the parallels now. I think both are very inspiring to their base, but probably have an effectiveness issue.

And actually the inspiring/ineffective might be related, esp for her, since not compromising and politicking is so key to the Tea Party. So, opposing bills you don't believe in, whether they pass or fail, is more important than creating legislation that involves bipartisan compromise (IMO slightly less true of mainstream repubs/dems).

My biggest concern with her vs. the other candidates would be the misinformation (her explanation of why the S&P downgraded our credit rating, the $2 gas business). I don't know if she honestly believes that, or thinks her supporters don't know better, but either way.

"The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

As a Democrat, I think she and Palin should run on a ticket.

But, seriously, she does not have the political chops, nor the experience needed to be President. Her religious views and some of her extremist ideas will never wash with the general voting public. She isn't as charismatic as Palin, either, and I don't think Palin could win in 2012 as well.

Her submissive comment will haunt her. My relatives in MN find her to be a bit of a joke as a legislator....
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I would call her an idiot but I do not want to disrespect idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaluna View Post
    You must be talking about this speech:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0rUBomKvY0

She also states where she fasted for 3 days waiting for God to tell her whether or not she should run for congress.
    It's not nice to make fun of someone's religious practices.

I like somethings about her, but overall, not so much. Her oddities will keep her from being a viable candidate more so than foot in mouth syndrome. How else could we explain Biden?

Default 1

no
    Friend of bar .ka

Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post
    It's not nice to make fun of someone's religious practices.
    No, it's not.

However, this country was founded on the principle of separation of church and state. As a private individual, Ms. Bachmann is completely within her rights to have religion play as significant role in her decision-making process as she chooses and should not be mocked for same. BUT AS SOMEONE WHO WISHES TO BE A POWER IN THE SECULAR WORLD OF U.S. POLITICS, Ms. Bachmann is *not* within her rights to apply her religious views to political decisions as that behavior is in direct conflict with separation of church and state. It's a fuzzy line where personal religion comes in conflict with secular leadership, but most people would consider the given example to be crossing that line in a big way.
    ---------------------------

I'm not a Bachman fan but people who voted for Obama criticizing her for a lack of experience is funny. Obama is by far the least experienced president we have ever had and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    No, it's not.

However, this country was founded on the principle of separation of church and state. As a private individual, Ms. Bachmann is completely within her rights to have religion play as significant role in her decision-making process as she chooses and should not be mocked for same. BUT AS SOMEONE WHO WISHES TO BE A POWER IN THE SECULAR WORLD OF U.S. POLITICS, Ms. Bachmann is *not* within her rights to apply her religious views to political decisions as that behavior is in direct conflict with separation of church and state. It's a fuzzy line where personal religion comes in conflict with secular leadership, but most people would consider the given example to be crossing that line in a big way.
    How is Bachmann applying her religious views to political decisions here? The decision to run for Congress is a private, personal decision. It affects no one but her and her family. Her constituents are affected if and only if they vote for her, and from what I know, this is voluntary. They choose to vote for her. What she does in Congress affects others, but then are you saying that a religious person who is elected by his/her constituents is not allowed to pray to their God/Gods before making a decision? Is that not a violation of their personal religious beliefs and therefore unconstitutional?

She is not my candidate, but like the rest of us, she has freedom of religion. The 1st Amendment clearly states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". She is not forcing you to believe anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post
    How is Bachmann applying her religious views to political decisions here? The decision to run for Congress is a private, personal decision. It affects no one but her and her family. Her constituents are affected if and only if they vote for her, and from what I know, this is voluntary. They choose to vote for her. What she does in Congress affects others, but then are you saying that a religious person who is elected by his/her constituents is not allowed to pray to their God/Gods before making a decision? Is that not a violation of their personal religious beliefs and therefore unconstitutional?
    It speaks to her general decision-making process. Three days of fasting while waiting for god to speak to her doesn't really present the image of someone who will be able to make solid decisions in critical situations based on facts and analytical rigor. Just sayin'.