The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tooth extractions: costs?

Hi all, I just posted on a thread already running about tooth extractions but was curious to know the going rate for having a molar extracted - on a horse .
    My vet/dentist said it would be between $600 and $1600 depending on the time spent and the difficulty level. Seems so high to me, but I've never had this done before and this guy is supposedly stellar.

if interested my post on the other thread is this:

My 13 year old TB (whom I've only had 6 months) had a recurring snotty nose with a smell - ick - off and on for a while. Looking through his records i notice that it's been going on for a long time.

Vet came out and referred me to a great horse dentist in our town and last night he took xrays. Yup, it's definitely a tooth root that is causing the sinus infection and we could see from the xrays that it would need to come out.

I just am trying not to stress about the after care and the possibility of problems associated with the recovery. Molar Doc, you seem to know a lot about this. Can you relieve my fears?

I wouldn't be so worrisome it just seems that I've had absolutely terrible luck with horse health. My first horse died after an $8,000 colic surgery last year (he was only mine for one year!!) and this new guys has had a few issues of his own. And also the first horse i had needed his third eyelid removed (sarcoma). I look at some of the people in my barn who seem to never have the vet out and I wonder WHY. I take great care of my horse. I'm goin broke here!!

I adore my new guy and I'm thinking this may totally help his already happy attitude. The nasal infections were making him cranky and lethargic and not himself.

Hi Whistler: I just had my older horse's teeth done and it included an extraction. The extraction was done with him standing. My bill was a little over $600.00 with an adequan shot. I live near you and you can PM me if you want the name of my vet-he is local and does a lot of teeth. I do love this vet he has always been the first person to tell me when I need to go to the valley clinics for equine services and has never charged me for coming out and telling me that he is not the best person for treating my horse's condition. Hope that helps.

We had to have one done in Sept, 2009. They had to go in thru the sinus. Total bill for 5 day stay, x-rays, meds, etc, was $1500.

A lot depends on the age of the horse, which number tooth it is, and how it comes out. I have prices on a 13 year old horse go from 1000 to 5000, just depends on what all is involved and if they need to put the horse under general to finish the job. Good luck.

Are you near UC Davis? They have developed some of the procedures for molar extractions that are used around the country. They might have the procedures costs under control?

I had a mare with the snotty smelly discharge from her nose. We were going to go with an extraction, but my vet suggested a long dose of Metronidozol (spelling?!)
    which is an anti-biotic for non-aerobic conditions. She cleared up and it never re-occurred. While it was not exactly a cheap option, or a guaranteed option, you might consider it - it saved me a lot of after care, etc.

Hi all and thanks again for the replies. My sweet horse had his molar extracted yesterday and is looking good this morning! What a surgery it is though. Vet was able to do it on site and took almost 4 hours for the entire process. Part of the infected root broke off so he had to go back in and retrieve the missing puzzle piece. I say that because after he got the piece out we fit it into the rest of the tooth and could see that he got everything. After doing so, he flushed the sinus through the side of the face with a long needle. Ugh...not pleasant to watch but I did not get woozy or faint like I have in the past! In the empty place there is now a piece or rubber that eventually comes out and the tooth fills back in with bone.

I am so glad whenever these things are over, and now i can breathe a big sigh of relief. We are not completely out of the woods as we will need to watch the area, but i'm looking forward to my horse being a lot happier without that toothache. I imagine it must have felt pretty bad.

Such a relief to know the horse will not be in pain any more. Poor things, they are so much at our mercy and whether the owner does the right thing by them.

Mine ended up costing about $10,000 when all was said and done

Glad things went well, hope he has a speedy recovery!!
    I'm not really at the top of my game today. I'm not even exactly sure what game I'm supposed to be playing, in fact... or where it's being held...

My horse's antics iamboyfriend.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bif View Post
    Mine ended up costing about $10,000 when all was said and done

Glad things went well, hope he has a speedy recovery!!
    I got a rescue horse that had a hole out the bottom of his jaw like that. I am so glad once he had it pulled that was the end of that.

Glad you boy is doing well. My boy recover was easy and he hasn't had any problems since or that his new mommy has every mentioned.

I remember your guy Beethoven!!

Mine cost around $1600 last year for 5 days at the clinic. They used the Steinmann procedure which was very non-invasive (no hole drilled in the sinus, no drain). She returned to her field and was given hay the day after the surgery. By the time she came home, you could not see the hole where the pin was inserted.

In total though, including all the vet visits related to the tooth (xray, scope, antibiotics and packing changes, trailering), it cost me about $4000.

I don't know if the Steinmann procedure is the one used at UC Davis, but it was great! My mare was standing in stocks, under sedation. She is a draft X and I did not want her put under if at all possible.

I forgot hat add that my bill was about 1200. That was for onsite tooth extraction and also the flushing of the sinus. All in all it was about 4 hours. My horses has had a slightly difficult recovery...yesterday he was in a lot of pain and the doc gave him an injection which then gave him an allergic reaction. Poor guy. It was a very long day and night.

Today though he looked 100x better and actually ate all of his hay which he wasn't doing yesterday or Wednesday. I am much relieved and just hope that he continues.

Actually I think the procedure done was the Steinmann procedure as it sounds exactly like what my vet did.

draft2rider Guest

Default long term followup care..

Whistler,

You may already know this, but going forward, its really important that you keep on top of regular dental exams. Horses normally wear their teeth by the top/bottom grinding against each other. The tooth opposite the one that was extracted now has nothing to wear it down. Left unattended, it can grow up into the vacant space and wear into the jaw when he closes his mouth... Hope I'm explaining this well enough... just important to make sure he has regular dentals to grind that tooth down.
    Glad he is feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by draft2rider View Post
    Whistler,

You may already know this, but going forward, its really important that you keep on top of regular dental exams. Horses normally wear their teeth by the top/bottom grinding against each other. The tooth opposite the one that was extracted now has nothing to wear it down. Left unattended, it can grow up into the vacant space and wear into the jaw when he closes his mouth... Hope I'm explaining this well enough... just important to make sure he has regular dentals to grind that tooth down.
    Glad he is feeling better.
    Yeh, I get my guy floated every 6 months. It could probably go a bit longer, but since there is always plenty of that opposing tooth to take down, I keep to 6. I like to make sure he doesn't get to the point where it is uncomfortable.
    I'm not really at the top of my game today. I'm not even exactly sure what game I'm supposed to be playing, in fact... or where it's being held...

My horse's antics iamboyfriend.com