The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Acclimating horse to NY temps from FL

I'm moving back to western NY in early Sept. with my horse and donkey (and husband!) Wondering if anyone has any experience with acclimating a horse to those kinds of temperatures at this time of year.

Labor Day weekend will be 80/60, but it's going to be cooling off pretty quickly after that. Does anyone know how long it should take for a good winter coat to come in? They've never worn a blanket or sheet in FL winters, but I'm prepared to sheet/blanket them before real winter temps hit.

I'm interested in others' experiences. Please give me your advice as to what to expect.

Mary Ellen

I moved an 18 yr old Arab mare from FL to upstate NY during the summer. She had never lived anywhere other than South FL, and she has LOVED the change. The biggest worry I had was the difference in the nutrition values of the grass. I had to gradually increase her turnout to get her used to the more-rich grass.

When winter came though, she grew her first coat ever & she ended up LOVING the snow. This was a horse that never grew a coat, was sheeted in 50 degree weather & blanketed during the few nights in FL when it'd get into the 30s. The most I put on her that first winter & ever since then has been a lightweight turnout sheet.

I think from a horse's perspective, going North is probably easier than going South. Florida heat is really hard on them.

Good luck!

Going north is easier on them than going to hot humid temps. Don't be surprised if they do not grow much of a coat the first winter, most have the second but some of the TB's never would and always needed heavy blankets.

I moved mine in the middle of winter....bad idea, but there was no other choice. They did fine. Blankets when shivering, otherwise left them alone and kept grass hay in front of them free choice. The following winter they grew adequate coats.