The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nano anyone? (National Novel Writing Month)

Is anyone here doing Nano this year? I am. This will be my eighth year. I have a rocking plot in mind so I'm really looking forward to it. My writing gets pushed to the side for most of the year, so it's really nice to have a formal event that lets me focus on my writing without guilt.

If things go well, I might actually try for 100k words, with two stories. (Number three and four in the series I'm writing.)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Every year I want to do this, and I'm finally done with school, but I'll be in the last month of my internship/placement in November soooooo we'll see how that's going.

What will you be writing about???
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I have never tried it before, but I think this year I might... I normally write poetry and occasionally short stories, but I have a topic for a fictionalized biography I'm really interested in, so I'm thinking of taking a trip to do my research in September or October so I can use NaNoWriMo as an impetus to get it written...

I'm getting ready for my 3rd try in a row! I haven't hit the 50k yet but you're right, just having the mindset that November is time to focus back on writing keeps writing in my life at all, and that's better than nothing written all year.

And I don't know what it is about NaNo month-

It always makes me feel better about myself! I guess because I'm making some room in life for my usually neglected creative side.

I'm planning to build on my last years attempt. I'm re-working the plot now so I can be ready to rock & roll come Nov 1st!

I am trying for it again.
    I had a blast with my first try. Could not wait to get back and see what my characters were up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Thanks for the heads up, I only remembered it mid-month last year. I'm sure I'll need now till Oct 31st to figure out what I could write about!
    I know I've been neglecting my writing. Painting, too. I HAVE been feeding my horse life quite well, but writing or painting would definitely be easier on my car mileage! Wonder if there's a nanowrimo but for painting?? Nanopaimo?

I've been toying with giving it a try. Only problem is, November is a huge month for my freelancing because of a major magazine deadline right at the end of the month that's close to 10,000 words in itself.

I have an idea I've been playing with, but it needs a better outline before it's ready to write. If I can get that part accomplished, I might give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    I've been toying with giving it a try. Only problem is, November is a huge month for my freelancing because of a major magazine deadline right at the end of the month that's close to 10,000 words in itself.

I have an idea I've been playing with, but it needs a better outline before it's ready to write. If I can get that part accomplished, I might give it a shot.

it's an average of 2600 words a day. Depending on how the story flows (and a few little tricks that are allowable to boost your word count) it's doable even when you have work. helps of course to be a faster typist....
    GNU Terry Prachett

I have tried for the past few years... Usually I peter out somewhere around oh... 3000-5000 words?

I think this year I better go in with a plan. And that plan needs to include time management because I have classes (organic chemistry YUCK), a job, and a horse in self care boarding to deal with.
    RIP Don - 3/28/2004-8/15/2012

Is there a link?

I have a few ideas floating around, but I can't seem to really get started. One night I was like THIS IS IT, just DO IT. And ended up deleting everything I had written because it was LAME. I do not want to be lame. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by IneedanOTdayAlter View Post
    Is there a link?

I have a few ideas floating around, but I can't seem to really get started. One night I was like THIS IS IT, just DO IT. And ended up deleting everything I had written because it was LAME. I do not want to be lame. :-/
    http://www.nanowrimo.org/

plenty of tips to get going. And even more to keep at it and not get too frustrated.

Besides. Most NaNos probably suck badly... you have permission to do so during the month of November.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Me me! -raises hand-
    It'll be my fourth year. I finished my first and last year, but peetered out on the second. None of the stories have been related to each other. In fact it was when I attempted the sequel that I failed. No idea what I'll write about this November. Here's to hoping it'll hit me one day.
    "A canter is a cure for every evil." -Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    http://www.nanowrimo.org/

plenty of tips to get going. And even more to keep at it and not get too frustrated.

Besides. Most NaNos probably suck badly... you have permission to do so during the month of November.
    Thank you!

I have tried for the past two years and both time failed pretty epically. I am a fast writer (and typist ), and I keep thinking there should be another book inside me, but if there is, it doesn't want to come out.

I've been reading "humorous travel books" as a way to build up to writing one of my own, but while Bill Bryson does it reasonably well, I find most of what I've read not funny at all.

Humor is polarizing, so you can never make all of the people laugh all of the time, but I've read some that just leave me puzzled, "Someone, anyone, thought this was funny?"

NaNoWriMo stikes me as a great way to get around a mental block, but it hasn't worked for me yet. I seem to have the Three Gorges Dam of blocks going.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    it's an average of 2600 words a day. Depending on how the story flows (and a few little tricks that are allowable to boost your word count) it's doable even when you have work. helps of course to be a faster typist....
    1667 words a day, actually.

I can write 50k in just over a week if I put my mind to it, even with work. You just have to take advantage of any free time that you have and add a bit more to your word count.

Quote Originally Posted by IneedanOTdayAlter View Post
    Is there a link?

'“The first draft of anything is s**t,” Ernest Hemingway.'

You just have to go with it. Some of it may not be very good, but as the story develops you tend to get good stuff too. Don't worry about being lame. Just get the words down (and change them to white so you can't see them if you have to) and keep going. No-one has to see it, and even if there is stuff in the first draft that's not very good, at least you have a first draft to improve on.

RR, have you tried writing something totally different to your travel book? Sometimes that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post

I can write 50k in just over a week if I put my mind to it, even with work. You just have to take advantage of any free time that you have and add a bit more to your word count.

You just have to go with it. Some of it may not be very good, but as the story develops you tend to get good stuff too. Don't worry about being lame. Just get the words down (and change them to white so you can't see them if you have to) and keep going. No-one has to see it, and even if there is stuff in the first draft that's not very good, at least you have a first draft to improve on.

RR, have you tried writing something totally different to your travel book? Sometimes that helps.
    Oh, I love the idea of turning the font color to white, that cracks me up- because I'm sure it would work for me! Great idea, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    Oh, I love the idea of turning the font color to white, that cracks me up- because I'm sure it would work for me! Great idea, thanks!
    You're welcome!

I'm going to start it (again).
    I had an idea picked out for Camp Nano but got kind of busy- I'll probably use that for regular Nano. Hopefully life doesnt get in the way again
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post

LOL, thanks. I am getting old, they say the mind is the second thing to go, can't remember the first tho...

Yes, NaNo credo is: allow yourself to write badly.
    You can always edit/delete later.

Also, there are a lot of helpful hints and people to bounce ideas off.

I am flying under Irukazab on Nano...

But I am tempted to try a screen play of 'Geeks get even' inspired by real life events...you know how that turns out....a hint of truth and a lot of literary license!
    GNU Terry Prachett