The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Should "Hurricane Idiots" be rescued during the hurricane?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is the job of First Responders and the state should pay

1 1.28%
  • Yes, this is the job of First Responders and the Idiots should pay

17 21.79%
  • No, FR's should not put their lives on the line - they should wait for safer conditions

60 76.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should "Hurricane Idiots" be rescued? Billed?

I never did a poll before so I'm not sure how this'll go. I'm asking about people who WILLFULLY ignore serious warnings and do stupid things (like go surfing in the surf, have "hurricane parties" and get drunk on the beach, you get the drift). Should first responders risk their life *during* a dangerous hurricane to go rescue these people? SHould these people be billed by the state?

Curious what people think...

No. No one should risk their life to rescue idiots who ignore evacuation orders.

There are people in high rise buildings in Atlantic City that are refusing to evacuate, and Gov Christy laid it on the line for them. They sent busses, police will go door-to-door telling them to leave and board a bus. If they don't leave no one will be coming to rescue them. Idiots who stay behind always expect someone will come when they call 9-1-1, but they're wrong and sometimes they die for taking the risk. In my opinion there is no reason for first responders to risk their lives for someone who stays behind.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Nope if they choose to stay they are on their own. I was watching the weather channel and they were showing VA Beach where a big ole road sign blew over the reporter's head. Idiot people were out running around splashing in puddles, playing the rain like little kids- really how stupid can you be? And did you guys see the video of the people on the big pier (can't remember what state it was in), they said they wanted to watch the storm and a couple of big waves came up and knocked them down.
    Morons.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

No, they should not be rescued. Nor should we waste valuable medical resources on people who don't obey helmet and seat belt laws.
    friend of bar.ka

I am dressed up. These wellies are clean.

Wasn't it Katrina where the concept of "shelter in place" was used though? Woefully underprepared people trapped on roofs after the hurricane had passed and flooded their city?

I have only some sympathy for the people swept off that pier (a featured video on my homepage yesterday)- of course it is dreadful to be injured by that but they shouldn't have been there and they should have had the common sense to stay off the thing.

I can only say that it's a case by case thing.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

If you're dumb enough to ignore warnings and risk your life or safety, then you deserve what you get. I'm not going to help you because you were too stupid to be careful.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Well emergency response people are required to help, it doesn't matter how stupid you are. I don't really understand the blatent disregard by some people, being young and healthy generally is not a big issue during disasters. It is the elderly, very young and less ambulatory that are the focus for emergency workers but when the young and healthy become a concern it makes the others more at risk.

We typically have almost no one who refuses to leave during fires, but I think there was one owner and he faced jail time and/or fines. I don't recall exactly what the laws are in California but I think there is potential for punishment and/or bills for refusing to cooperate with evacuations. I know that the last time we had to evacuate the officer was not taking any "no thank yous". I was so relieved to have gotten in two loads of laundry between the reverse 911 call and the officer standing on my porch at 2:00am. Spent 4 hours hauling 70 horses from 8:00 pm till midnight.

Hope everyone stays safe, emergency personel have a hard enough time, they have families too.

ReSomething,

I know that loss of life and tragedy is always just that: tragedy.

I remember when Ike came up to Galveston, there were people actually having "beach parties" - one group got stuck on a bar roof when, shockingly, the sea level flooded the entire pier and had to be rescued by helicopter during the hurricane. There was another guy who was *previously interviewed* saying he didn't think the hurricane was too big of a deal and so he wasn't evacuating and later he had to be rescued by helicopter. I remember being so freaking angry that the first responders had to go out in that and rescue these idiots. ALternatively, how would I feel if the idiots all actually died? Terrible. SO I know this is really complex. I have been watching the news today and once again I feel angry, really angry, towards these freakin' idiots who are bound to tie up first responders who should be helping people who were more responsible but actually need the help! Arrrggggg!

i do think that the idiots should get billed for heroic measures to save their lives. Just like if they decided to go do a backflip from their roof because it would be "fun" - that's a hospital bill they should have to pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    I'm asking about people who WILLFULLY ignore serious warnings and do stupid things (like go surfing in the surf, have "hurricane parties" and get drunk on the beach, you get the drift). Should first responders risk their life *during* a dangerous hurricane to go rescue these people? SHould these people be billed by the state?

Curious what people think...
    If you are discussing willful idiots during dangerous conditions- nope, first responders have human rights too. But people who don't own private transport and can't get themselves out because public couldn't handle it, or had no place to go to and no motel money, or are too frail to be moved - those are different to the extent that help is even possible.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

We are not legally allowed to respond to a mandatory evacuated area until the evacuation has been lifted so sort of a non issue to that effect. The first thing we are taught on every single call that we respond to is to size up the scene safety and only respond if we are not in danger. That is an every day thing.

Did anyone see the video that the weather channel is showing with people out on a breakwater in storm conditions? An enormous wave comes up and picks them off like ants.

What are people thinking when they do things like that? They put responders in danger with their arrogance and foolishness.

Yesterday I was driving over a bridge and I saw a man who was a candidate for the Darwin Award. He was on a steep ledge over a deep canal with a fishing rod in one hand and a baby in the other. All it would take was one slip...

Police/Fire/EMS are not legally obligated to respond to any 911 call, whether an evacuation has been ordered or not.

No way. If you choose to stay then you must of been prepared some how right?

I know a lot of helicopter aircrews who responded after Katrina, and they have stories that will make you cry. Many people who went to the Super Dome drove there and could have left. I think evacuation fatigue, and the 'nothing happened the other times we evacuated so we're not leaving' syndrome kicks in here.

Right before Katrina a man was interviewed, and he told the reporter that he was staying because it wouldn't be that bad, and because he had ridden hurricanes out before. The man had a little boy next to him, and I've always wondered what happened to both of them. And reading the live blogs and message boards on the New Orleans Picayune during the storm was heartbreaking, with people pleading for rescue.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

No. I live a mile from the ocean in NJ. The Gov. was warning people to evacuate as early as yesterday morning. People had PLENTY of time to leave.... if they choose to stay, it's at their own risk.

Damnit, I accidentally picked the wrong one! I meant to click the answer 'No', but clicked the middle one on mistake. Whoops.

If the responder is within physical reach or sight of the idiot than by all means pull the idiot out and bill him/her for the full amount of the service. Otherwise, the answer is no.

Shelters here are pet friendly, so there is no need to ignore evacuation orders in order to take care of beloved pets.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I think the question is a moot point - cops, EMTs, etc., don't respond during a hurricane. They can't. It's suicide. The "should they" arises when conditions make a rescue possible but unusually dangerous. In that case, they have a responsibility to make the decision based on how likely a rescue is and how dangerous conditions are to rescuers, not how the person in danger got there. People who become be cops, firemen, etc., usually realize a certain level of risk comes with their job, that the idiot public that needs rescuing may have behaved stupidly but comprises most of your job, and that if you want to keep being a "brother (fill in macho First Responder profession here)" you have to actually do stuff sometimes.

If you're in an area under an evacuation order and are physically capable of leaving, and don't leave, no, no one should go out of their way to try and rescue you. If you want to stay, it's a free country, go for it, but other people are not obliged to risk their necks trying to save you from your own stupidity. They COULD be airlifting out that little old lady in a wheelchair, not trying pull your stranded @$$ off a breakwater somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gieriscm View Post
    Police/Fire/EMS are not legally obligated to respond to any 911 call, whether an evacuation has been ordered or not.
    I'm not sure what "legally obligated" is but I am married to an emergency worker and here where I live they respond. We don't have hurricanes, we have fires and they respond, and when evacuated you leave around here.