The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Default Itchy Scalp?

I just remembered what I wanted to ask. Is it possible to be allergic to your own sweat?

I ask because every day, if I work up a good sweat (and here in Florida in summertime, you can do that without even moving if you are outside), my scalp itches like mad! Now I know what a horse with sweet itch feels like.

I've tried an assortment of "itchy scalp" shampoos and conditioners, with no change in the itch level.

Anyone else experience this?
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Have you tried a tea tree oil shampoo? Such as Paul Mitchell. That one is my favorite. Or their Lavender Mint. That has helped me.

You may have to see a doctor for further help though.

I have a perpetually itchy spot from a tick bite several years ago. I find if I use a thick lotion right after I wash my hair, it controls it the best.

Other things that have given some relief, shampoos with menthol or eucalyptus as ingredients and Sarna lotion.

I hate my itchy scalp!

My boyfriend has the same issue. We use Malin + Goetz peppermint shampoo, which helps somewhat, but I'm wondering if tea tree oil would help too?

A weekly "shampoo" with apple cider vinegar has also helped.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    Have you tried a tea tree oil shampoo? Such as Paul Mitchell. That one is my favorite. Or their Lavender Mint. That has helped me.

You may have to see a doctor for further help though.
    Humm, I have some tea tree horse shampoo in the barn that I can't use on the horses because they both break out in hives from it. . . would it be stupid for me to try that?
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Get some Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Treatment and try that, and it goes on your scalp not just your hair. It's fairly affordable and all Paul Mitchell goes on sale at all of the Regis Salons on some months (Regis includes the Walmart stores, Regis, Trade Secrets, Hair Masters, and almost any other chain place you can think of). And it's not odd to have this happen, since a major ingredient of sweat is salt, and as the sweat evaporates the salt will be left behind, and salt is itchy. Try rinsing your hair thoroughly the second you come in or at the barn.

Make sure whatever shampoo or whatever else you use that you rinse thoroughly. A hint of soap left behind can make you itch like crazy (and remember that when bathing dogs and horses-no soap left behind or they get itchy).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Two thumbs up for Paul Mitchell Shampoos! I use Number 3 to clean out the chlorine and minerals and it leaves my scalp very comfortable. The other switch I made was to get rid of Pantene and use John Frieda's Sheer Blonde Shampoo. Even when I sweat now, the itching is gone!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Get some Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Treatment and try that, and it goes on your scalp not just your hair. It's fairly affordable and all Paul Mitchell goes on sale at all of the Regis Salons on some months (Regis includes the Walmart stores, Regis, Trade Secrets, Hair Masters, and almost any other chain place you can think of). And it's not odd to have this happen, since a major ingredient of sweat is salt, and as the sweat evaporates the salt will be left behind, and salt is itchy. Try rinsing your hair thoroughly the second you come in or at the barn.

Make sure whatever shampoo or whatever else you use that you rinse thoroughly. A hint of soap left behind can make you itch like crazy (and remember that when bathing dogs and horses-no soap left behind or they get itchy).
    Is this the stuff? :

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Mitchell-...481765&sr=1-14

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have not tried any of them but I will now!

Yes, that's the one. However, all of the Regis places including the Walmart salons sell it, so try the smaller tube first. And you just do the scalp and let it set for a while, then rinse thoroughly. Your hair will smell a little like peppermint for a while, but it really works. If you really like it, then one tube will last you for quite a while if you only use it once a week. Just let it sit for five minutes or so, and you should be fine. If that doesn't work then come back over the weekend (or the next off topic) and ask about other products people have used.

It's not on sale right now, but keep an eye on www.hairmasterssalon.com and see when the Paul Mitchell product line goes on sale. And when one has it on sale then all of the other parts of Regis do too. People worry about other monopolies, but Regis is the really big one. Design Line (their own brand) is on sale this month. I don't know what next month's special is until the 1st.

If the problem is sweat buildup then a cotton bandanna used like a headband might help absorb too. And maybe a coolmax ball cap (Columbia makes them). Whatever you can get to wick the moisture away, combined with rinsing with plain water might help too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I too suffer from itchy scalp! It is the worst.

First and foremost, I avoid any and all conventional products loaded with chemicals (pretty much all major brands--I specifically avoid sodium anything).

I only wash my hair once a week--and only with tea tree/peppermint shampoo. The rest of the time I rinse my hair with water and it is balanced enough now (goes through a bit of a process) that it doesn't bother me.

I'd also recommend a firm brush to distribute oil naturally through your hair.

Thanks everyone.

I just started wearing a bandana to the barn, mostly to keep the gnats out of my ears, have not noticed a difference in itching with that.

I've only tried the Paul Mitchell products once before, (gift from a hairdresser friend), and it caused breakouts on my scalp, so I stopped using it.

I have been using a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner as many of the name brand shampoos and conditioners were causing a breakout problem.

I don't wash my hair every day on the recommendation of my hairdresser, I do rinse with plain water between shampoos.

I had a severely itchy scalp, tried a bunch of stuff, but the ah hah! moment came when I was diagnosed with a wheat, cow milk, fungus and mold allergies. I went off bread, yogurt, mushrooms and bleu cheese and the itching stopped. After some test diets, I determined it was the wheat. The only reaction besides some swelling in my throat was the itchy scalp
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Have you tried a dry shampoo?

Tresemme makes a cheap one but Tigi makes one called Rockaholic and it's better IMO.

It just absorbs oils and whatnot at the scalp without actually washing your hair in the shower.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    Have you tried a dry shampoo?

Tresemme makes a cheap one but Tigi makes one called Rockaholic and it's better IMO.

It just absorbs oils and whatnot at the scalp without actually washing your hair in the shower.
    Not yet, but I was seriously considering dousing my head with Anti-Monkey-Butt powder . Or Gold Bond Extra Strength powder - now wouldn't that be attractive???

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!