The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Dr. Cesar Parra

well, there's a hurricane blowing through, and I've got the fresh September issue of Dressage Today. On pg 40 there's a picture of Dr. Cesar Parra on Grandioso. They look like an impressive pair with classical form. I'm a classical student so I wanted to do a little digging on the dude. Perhaps I've been living in a cave, but I'd never heard of him (I don't keep up much with who's who in competitive dressage)
    I was able to find other documentation of him riding correctly, and horses he's riding moving correctly, but what I find odd is I haven't found any images or video of his students or apprentices riding in the same classical style. Am I coming up empty on classical riding from his students for a reason, or have I not done enough digging on this guy yet?
    I'd like to audit a clinic, but I'm not going to waste my time if the dude isn't preaching what he practices.
    I'd like to hear your thoughts. TIA
    Last edited by Petstorejunkie; Aug. 27, 2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: clarification of post to be less subjective
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Do more digging.

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

i'll be brave

i dont know CP, nor have i ever seen him ride in person. however, what i have seen on video, and what i have heard from folks that have ridden with him, has not left a good impression.

i suggest searching youtube and see what you can find. if you are a traditional rider/trainer CP probably wont be for you.

The internet is fun and all, but make a few private phone calls to get information about an instructor. Don't risk damaging someone's business or reputation because you like to post anonymously online. There's a real person at the end of every negative post on every kind of forum. How would you feel? Or to put it another way, what would Buddha do?

Quote Originally Posted by norton View Post
    The internet is fun and all, but make a few private phone calls to get information about an instructor. Don't risk damaging someone's business or reputation because you like to post anonymously online. There's a real person at the end of every negative post on every kind of forum. How would you feel? Or to put it another way, what would Buddha do?
    If you have personal experience with him or one of his students, please share! I'm not trying to damage anyone's reputation by inquiring whether someone possesses the ability to pass on their knowledge effectively. I don't know anyone who has ridden with him to call, hence starting a thread. I've slightly altered the OP to be more objective

if you are referring to my post, i said nothing about him personally, just expressed my opinion based on what i have seen and what i have been told, in the context of a person seeking a classical trainer.

i agree that wholesale slamming of someone and purposely trying to ruin someone is not ok.

however, having an opinion, and voicing it is fine.

Sign your name.

am i not allowed to say what i feel about a topic because i, like you, dont have my name in my sig line?

here is a hint, threads like this are totally within the boundaries of this board. they happen all.the.time.

they usually come and go until someone decides to be the hero and "defend" the trainer in question from people, those posts tend to really cast a not good light on the trainer in question.

just MHO of course.

I haven't offered an opinion on a trainer, which several of you have. Apparently, the justification is boredom in a hurricane. If you don't know anyone in the area, all you have to do is call the trainer and ask to visit the barn and watch a few lessons.

Something can be "allowed" on a forum and still not be the right or moral thing to do.

Sometimes threads like this are started by a competitor hoping to damage someone's business. The original poster might have posed what he/she feels to be legitimate comments. There's absolutely no way to know.

Why should any individual have to wait for someone to come to their defense? Don't say anything hurtful in the first place.

Personally I would be leery --but make up your own mind....You have a PM

wait. i didnt say anything hurtful.

the person in question has a BUSINESS. People will have all sorts of opinions - both good, bad and indifferent about said business.

I agree that if people post things that are not true, meant to hurt teh business etc then that is not good.

but having an opinion is not bad.

my opinion, based on what i have seen, is that i would not chose to work with said trainer.

but big deal? i am sure said trainer knows that not everyone will want to work with him.

I don't understand what some are implying by saying he is not a classical trainer... He follows the dressage scale and doesn't use rollkur. He works a lot from the ground both lunging, long rein and in-hand. I saw him ride during a clinic and he is really really good. Firm, a bit on the tough side but really fair and good to the horses.

He is very dedicated to his horses and he knows how to bring the best out of them.

For the serious riders only. And he can be funny too!

I wish he would come back around here so I could ride with him!

I think there is a thread somewhere here about him.

I have ridden with Dr. Parra in two separate 2 day clinics on 2 different occasions, so I feel more qualified than some on this thread to comment. I have also "hung out" with him on his visits, so have spoken to him outside of the actual lesson time about horses (and life).

Feel free to PM me for my thoughts.

However, please be aware that it seems that to some on this BB (ahem, mbm), NO ONE is "traditional" in the training (I'm only slightly exaggerating). I'm not even sure what "traditional" means. After all, she thinks Carl Hester rides horses deep and is non-traditional, and I think he's one of the least controversial trainers out there today. Parra is more "controversial" by that definition, but I'd ride with him again in a second.

mbm, I'd love to know who you train with out there on the west coast. I'm guessing you don't show, of course.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I haven't offered an opinion on a trainer, which several of you have. Apparently, the justification is boredom in a hurricane. If you don't know anyone in the area, all you have to do is call the trainer and ask to visit the barn and watch a few lessons.

Sometimes threads like this are started by a competitor hoping to damage someone's business. The original poster might have posed what he/she feels to be legitimate comments. There's absolutely no way to know.
    No one is saying anything hurtful
    For the first time in weeks I have time to actually sit down because a hurricane has forced me to sit on my butt in my house and wait for the weather to improve, otherwise I'd be riding. I saw a picture in DT of someone I'd never heard of... 5 minutes of research left me confused as to whether I should do more research on the person or move on. I post here on a regular basis, and value the opinions of the responders to the dressage threads. I know who has similar values and goals to myself and who doesn't. Based on their responses I can then figure out whether this guy is worth my time. That is part of what makes COTH such a valuable place for information!
    I can't just fly out to wherever to watch a few lessons with a BNT to make the determination of whether I should audit a clinic or not. Perhaps you have that privilege?
    I am hardly competition to an international competitor perhaps you should stick around a while before passing judgment on poster's motives.
    I'm serving appletinis at my house right now, would you like one? you sound like you could use one

Well, I don't know anything about Parra so I don't have an opinion. I do know the guy that bought Grandioso as a greenie in Germany, imported him and brought him along, showing him successfully up the levels until sold. I've also ridden with him a few times and enjoyed it, learned alot. His name is Jason Canton and he is now based out of the Atlanta, GA area.
    PennyG

I believe the little lady in the box (riding Wake Up) on the upper right of your screen is one of his students.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

I've seen Parra show, a few years ago. His horses were remarkably relaxed, yet exuberant and boingy. Here's a good example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ar3AzY2_YY but I don't know anything about his teaching talents.

I dont personally know CP, but I know that he rode Pik L for Horses Unlimited a few years ago, and did really well on the small tour w/ that horse.
    And if the "little lady" on Wake Up his his student, I will say that she and her horse are a really wonderful pair. He should be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Fixer View Post

Feel free to PM me for my thoughts.

However, please be aware that it seems that to some on this BB (ahem, mbm), NO ONE is "traditional" in the training (I'm only slightly exaggerating). I'm not even sure what "traditional" means. After all, she thinks Carl Hester rides horses deep and is non-traditional, and I think he's one of the least controversial trainers out there today. Parra is more "controversial" by that definition, but I'd ride with him again in a second.

mbm, I'd love to know who you train with out there on the west coast. I'm guessing you don't show, of course.
    i think i said pretty clearly that i based my opinion on videos and what i have been told by some of his (ex?) students.

i a pretty sure he trains with hubertus schmidt - who is as "classical" as you can get as far as i know. there is a video on youtube, or was, of hubertus training CP on that fab chestnut.

maybe he is traditional/classical. probably the OP should go see for herself and form her own opinion.

as for me. there are many folks whom i would give my first born to ride with - and maybe some day i will get to ride with some of them!

i am lucky to ride with a good trainer... trained in the german system etc. My trainer worked at Theodorescu's and Grillo's along with other places.

as for showing.... i generally think i am never good enough to show - that i should spend my money instead on training.... so i do ! -

anyway, showing is just showing. whether someone shows or not doesn't mean whole lot (or shouldn't).

that said, i do have a Connemara pony i just started (he is 3.5) and i am *hoping* to show him as he gets a bit older.... we shall see

What others have said. If you want someone classical and kind... keep looking.