The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PSA: go lock your stuff up

I had 4 saddles and about 10 halters stolen from my farm in broad daylight today. In the Butler County area of Ohio. We have two halters left for 11 horses. 3 of the saddles stolen were boarders'.

So everyone who has gotten lazy about locking their stuff up. Learn from my idiocy and make sure everything is locked!!

Well, damn. That sucks a big one. I'm sorry.

You just made my decision for me. I'll leave my tack and show stuff inside tonight and get up half an hour earlier in the morning to pack the truck.

Oh No! That's terrible! I hope the thief is found and you get your stuff back.

IF I didn't just get rid of all my stuff, I would send you some extra halters. I'm so sorry this happened.

Start trolling ebay and craigslist in your area and those adjoining. Good in getting your things back!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

They left every single english saddle (including my Beval which was worth more than all the western saddles combined), all bridles, girths, brushes, bits, etc. But took every single nasty ratty nylon halter. Oh and every lead rope.

I know theres a halter somewhere in the field (cause it was on a pony and I know theres no way they managed to catch her to get it off), and I remembered this morning I had put my pony leather halter in a trunk.

But they took every. single. lead rope. Latching the gate while holding a hungry horse with no lead was an adventure!!!

I bought 4 halters off ebay to replace the boarded horses halters, and bid on a lot of used abused ones for myself. I just bought two months of hay so running to tsc and buying $200 in halters might make my SO leave me lol.

And the pawn shops. A friend had all her stuff taken and it all ended up in about 4 different pawn shops. Have you called the police?
    Horse Feathers Farm

Yes police have been notified. Police man was actually a horse person and held my injured gelding while I wrapped his foot. He estimated about $900 in tack was stolen.

I fed at 9, dont remember seeing saddles (wasn't looking either) but I know the halters were there cause I brought horses in with them. My SP came back at 1 to refill troughs and throw more hay. He wouldnt have noticed anything because he doesnt pay attention. But as he left a boarder showed (her horse wears his halter outside) and before she left another boarder showed up and she was still there when I got there. So it happened between 9-1

Oh that stinks!

Keep an ear out on the boarders too. Might not be one of them...but could be a friend, relative, etc of one of them. It's more common than a complete stranger walking into a barn and taking stuff.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Especially with such a narrow time frame and in broad daylight.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

I have a gut feeling on who did it. Doubt they read coth but I'm keeping my mouth shut just in case. I put word out with the local horse traders I'm friendly with as they frequent low class auctions and tack sales.

I dont expect to see my stuff again but if my post made even one person lock their track room up, mission accomplished