The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Just a question: would anyone be interested in a directory/listing of local Hunter/Jumper shows? A calendar of sorts, with the opportunity for users to add comments/feedback?

(Think MenuPages.com, if you've never seen it before—an aggregator of restaurant menus—prize lists, in our case—with contact info and the opportunity for users to leave feedback.)
    GREAT idea!!! Wish I'd thought of it!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Danceronice, did I miss the part where you had to spend $50,000 or $100,000 or $25,000 (or whatever number you choose) to have a body to lesson and compete in the first place?

Because without factoring in the initial investment in the horse, not to mention board/vet/farrier/upkeep, I don't see how you can really compare the two sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    The Amateur rules, including the Amateur card and the non member fee, are USEF rules,and apply accross all disciplines. Nothing to do with USHJA.
    See...any NUMBER of things are "nothing to do with USHJA."

What do they DO?

What do they actually DO?

We had all those committees when it was USEF. They were VOLUNTEER members of the hunter/jumper community.

Most committee members are SITLL volunteers.

So who is spending all this money, on WHAT?

The building? The salaries? Who works there? How much do they make? What do they DO?

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Just a question: would anyone be interested in a directory/listing of local Hunter/Jumper shows? A calendar of sorts, with the opportunity for users to add comments/feedback?

(Think MenuPages.com, if you've never seen it before—an aggregator of restaurant menus—prize lists, in our case—with contact info and the opportunity for users to leave feedback.)
    This would be fabulous. It would also be helpful to have links to local sanctioning associations.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I'd love this!

Glad that it seems like something people would use. It's a long story that is irrelevant to COTH, but I've actually been hunting for a little "entrepreneurial" project—I just might have found it.

Further suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Glad that it seems like something people would use. It's a long story that is irrelevant to COTH, but I've actually been hunting for a little "entrepreneurial" project—I just might have found it.

Further suggestions and ideas are welcome.
    It sounds like a great idea. Would you be able to search results by city or state or zone?

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    It sounds like a great idea. Would you be able to search results by city or state or zone?
    Yep, I was thinking about regions to start. Do you think going by USEF zones would be the wisest since it's something people are familiar with already?

Yep, I was thinking about regions to start. Do you think going by USEF zones would be the wisest since it's something people are familiar with already?
    I guess it would depend on how many results you end up with. Some zones might have an awful lot of shows to sift through- maybe by state would be better. I would think if you're looking for an unrecognized show, you probably are hoping to find one somewhat close to you.

Or can you make it so the show locations are displayed on a map? That would be really helpful!

I guess I'm sort of thinking of all the things my phone can show me with apps that use my GPS location to display what's around me, but of course, I have no idea about the technology behind it.

Or can you make it so the show locations are displayed on a map? That would be really helpful!

I guess I'm sort of thinking of all the things my phone can show me with apps that use my GPS location to display what's around me, but of course, I have no idea about the technology behind it.
    Map is very possible (and not super difficult to integrate). The scope and technology behind APIs now is incredible.

The scope and technology behind APIs now is incredible.
    The only thing that I truly understand on my phone is how it works when I use it as a paperweight. Everything else about how it functions is an amazing mystery to me!

Here you go-

Rochester area:
    http://www.huntingtonmeadowstables.c...nwny_flyer.pdf

There is also another series around Syracuse. PM me if you'd like contact info for those shows.
    Thanks. I thought those were for lesson people only. I love that we have so many shows in the area! These shows won't allow a lot of us to avoid the USEF shows though with their limited classes. I do the a/o hunters and the adult jumpers. I don't see anything over 2'9".

Quote Originally Posted by Madaketmomma View Post
    Thanks. I thought those were for lesson people only. I love that we have so many shows in the area! These shows won't allow a lot of us to avoid the USEF shows though with their limited classes. I do the a/o hunters and the adult jumpers. I don't see anything over 2'9".
    Well, I think they offer the classes that the local market will allow. If a group of people asked for classes at a different height and then supported those divisions, I'll bet the shows would be happy to have the additional entries in those classes.

Default great idea

"Just a question: would anyone be interested in a directory/listing of local Hunter/Jumper shows? A calendar of sorts, with the opportunity for users to add comments/feedback?

(Think MenuPages.com, if you've never seen it before—an aggregator of restaurant menus—prize lists, in our case—with contact info and the opportunity for users to leave feedback.)"

Something much like the USEF has on rated shows would be great. Letting barns add there own listings. If everyone actually started to use it maybe the local shows would start getting more traffic.
    When you show in a bubble all you get is everyone in the bubble

The problem is that not everyone lives in areas rife with good, well-run local shows... I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. Things are better here in the tri-state than they were when I was in Texas, but in Texas, the local shows are not something I want to go to.

Nona Garson's summer shows at The Ridge a prime example of great schooling shows. No office fee, no non-member fee, $30 per class. Great jumps, good judges, etc. And, believe it or not, a neck ribbon for champion and reserve. When was the last time you got a neck ribbon at a rated show?
    You're kidding right? Did you go to her last show? Entries were $55 a class. There are AA shows that are cheaper then that.

Danceronice, did I miss the part where you had to spend $50,000 or $100,000 or $25,000 (or whatever number you choose) to have a body to lesson and compete in the first place?

Because without factoring in the initial investment in the horse, not to mention board/vet/farrier/upkeep, I don't see how you can really compare the two sports.
    Thank you! It is not comparing apples to apples

Dancer, haven't you ever read any of the threads here where it costs $30k+ to lease a Childresn/AA Hunter just at WEF?

On top of that you have entries, cost of housing or flying back and forth each week among other costs. I am sure these costs easily exceed your dancing costs.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

Why don't they do away with the In Stride Magazine hard copy and allow members to access it online. That would save a ton of money on printing and postage. I can't imagine the advertisers cover that complete cost and the articles are just fluff of USHJA anyway and all their programs running over budget.

When USEF went to saving on Rule Books it was a great moment

So... I was looking to see if USHJA offered InStride online like USEF does and I checked out the InStride marketing guide as they don't have an online copy (that I could find anyways...)

This is demographic of USHJA In Stride readers which may give insight to their other proclivities.

IN STRIDE READERS:
    • 43% Amateurs, 35% Juniors, 18% Professionals
    • Average household income $237,000
    • Average net worth $1,441,000
    • 85% own homes
    • 54% own horse trailers
    • 99% attend/participate in shows
    • 74% own custom stable equipment
    • 44% over 18, 37% under 18
    If only horses would use their athletic powers for good instead of evil. ~ MHM

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    IN STRIDE READERS:
    • 43% Amateurs, 35% Juniors, 18% Professionals
    • Average household income $237,000
    • Average net worth $1,441,000
    • 85% own homes
    • 54% own horse trailers
    • 99% attend/participate in shows
    • 74% own custom stable equipment
    • 44% over 18, 37% under 18
    Looks most of juniors must own homes
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM