The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

We need more local show circuits to step up and fill the need for reasonably priced shows... then we need people to actually attend them and fill the bigger classes so that the shows continue to offer them. When I was a kid you could go to a local show and show in a 3'6" hunters. Jumpers would usually only go to 3'6", but some places had a 4' class. The way to show USHJA what we think is to offer alternatives... heck, if just the 2'6" and under people quit signing up and went elsewhere it would make a huge difference to their budget.... of course the morons probably wouldn't get it and decide that since they were making so much less revenue they ought to increase fees again...

Where there are only carousel horses to be had...

And they never even both to mention that fun little $15 fee they tack on to your horse show bill....I went to a one day and ended up with a $140 bill for two classes.
    “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
    (}---{)

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    of course the morons probably wouldn't get it and decide that since they were making so much less revenue they ought to increase fees again...
    Well considering that they just cited increased revenue ("Our membership is increasing") as a reason to increase fees I am sure a decrease in revenue could be put to the same purpose.

what was the fee before the increase?

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by hr View Post
    what was the fee before the increase?
    It is currently $55 for a regular membership. (link).

For those who just want them to go away, back in the day when HJ members just checked off a box (and, at least for awhile paid a higher membership fee IIRC), eventing and dressage folks had to join their own discipline organization in addition to AHSA/USEF.

I am not sure why I join the thing. I haven't seen a USEF show as an exhibitor in three years. Sort of felt like I should support my sport. But it doesn't seem like USHJA is doing much in return.

For those who actually show USEF and feel like voting with your feet it at least used to be the case that members of the eventing association could show at HJ (and dressage) shows without paying non-discipline member fees.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Time for a MAJOR boycott. Seriously.

Delay renewing until your first show of the new season. Just don't check off that box, or UN-check it when renewing w/ USEF.

The fee is increased by nearly 30%--has anyone noticed the prices in the consumer index rising by that amount?

Or your lesson revenues?

Would you be staying if your barn owner increased your board by 30%?

What if horse shows increased their entry fees by 30%?

How about a 30% increase in rent?

Or a 30% increase in the price of gasoline?

I thought this was "our" discipline's organization? What part of "our" discipline is pulling in 30% more in revenues?

Increases of 30% can trigger changes in consumer behavior...USHJA better hope it has not just killed the goose that has been laying all their golden eggs. Participation in USHJA shows is an OPTION. It would seem to me that other options might start to look more appealing, or new options might develop once the tipping point is reached.

While the individual membership fee may not have changed USHJA created a bunch of new fees in the last few years.

Here's a list. There may be more that I'm not aware of.

$2 Zone support fee ( on top of $15 in USEF/DRUG TEST fees)
    $30 Mandatory USHJA horse recording fee ( USEF offers a free HID)
    $100 Mandatory farm recording fee ( on top of USEF Farm fee)
    $15 Mandatory Collegiate USHJA membership fee
    $20 transfer,$20 change of horse name fees for those horses that are only USHJA recorded.
    WCHR participation now requires a $40 USHJA fee.

So does this mean that the usef will also raise their rates too???
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

When I saw the email from USHJA I knew there would be a thread about it from this forum, and was not disappointed. The fee increase in a time of economic distress is unwarranted. Not that the staff doesn't work hard, but if you knew the number of 'retreats' at fancy resorts they attend you would be appalled. The staff wants to reach the 'grass roots' but there are too many programs and they have almost impossible conditions if a local group wants to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    I was told (by a credible source) that the $15 USEF fee will be increasing in 2012. I don't show USEF anymore, I am not a member of these organizations, but with the current state of the economy and such, I think any increase is ridiculous. I show local now.

Current members of USHJA who think the increase is unfair should get a strongly worded petition written and let them know you won't be renewing if the increase takes place. If you get enough members to sign the petition, they might take notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    The actual USEF membership fee (and the lifetime horse recording fee) has remained consistent for several years now, if I'm not mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    The actual USEF membership fee (and the lifetime horse recording fee) has remained consistent for several years now, if I'm not mistaken?
    I believe you are correct.
    A few years ago USEF did implement a sliding scale for lifetime horse recording that has substantial discounts for recording horses as foals or yearlings.

nothing will be done until someone organizes a mass saying no! like calling for layoffs etc. you can complain all you want, but they can do whatever they want because if you want to show, you have to pay.
    i would like to know what the $2 fee per show is for??? i didnt get involved in the other thread, but i read a little bit, and it does seem like they collect money for the elite A show competitors.

Congratulations to the USHJA for polarizing the industry even MORE. Sport of kings indeed. The rest need not apply (or go to your local shows) Thanks USHJA, thanks....for nothing.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Oh yeah, this IS from those grass roots you so proudly proclaim to represent, LOL. Insert sarcasm icon here.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

I don't find the new fee that high, and very similar to fees my family pays in other sports for sanctioning organization.

I'm not saying I like the way USHJA runs 100%. I think improvements can be made, but it's certainly not the worst organization I've dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    It amazes me that the USHJA would have the brass ones to send that letter, particularly after just being put on notice that so many of the core membership finds so little value in the organization.

I have been a member since the organization's inception, even though I was not showing the entire time. Based on this increase, and the appalling lack of value - or even plans to offer value - exhibited in Ms. French's answers with respect to what the USHJA wil do for me as an adult amateur... I am seriously considering not renewing.

Maybe, if the organization was going to need such a substantial increase, they should have constructed a more modest building.
    Why would it amaze you? It appears that I'm definitely a minority in that I simply refuse to go to a USHJA show and go to local shows.

I won't pay the non member fees and felt I got nothing for the one year I was a member. So I don't go to their shows.

Everyone moans and complains, yet they still load up to head to the shows.

Maybe I'll feel flush one year and feel I have the funds to go to 3 or 4 H/J shows.

Default Here, here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
    Why would it amaze you? It appears that I'm definitely a minority in that I simply refuse to go to a USHJA show and go to local shows.

I won't pay the non member fees and felt I got nothing for the one year I was a member. So I don't go to their shows.

Maybe I'll feel flush one year and feel I have the funds to go to 3 or 4 H/J shows.

I have not shown, nor will I show at a USEF show EVER again. If everyone did this the fees would simply go away. Paying $1,000 for a weekend show in anticipation of getting a 50c ribbon is bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post

The problem is that not everyone lives in areas rife with good, well-run local shows... I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. Things are better here in the tri-state than they were when I was in Texas, but in Texas, the local shows are not something I want to go to.

Nona Garson's summer shows at The Ridge a prime example of great schooling shows. No office fee, no non-member fee, $30 per class. Great jumps, good judges, etc. And, believe it or not, a neck ribbon for champion and reserve. When was the last time you got a neck ribbon at a rated show?