The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default camera while riding?

Hi all.... I know about the helmet cams for videos, but does anyone ever hunt with a still photo camera? is there a rig for that? can I "wear" a camera?

A long neckstrap and then tuck the camera into your coat. You can't see it, it won't flop around there and everyone loves to see their own photos! Painted Wings is a pro at this.... she always has a camera on and gets gorgeous photos. I just pull out my droid that I also use to GPS track the ride and snap a few than put it back in my inner pocket. I took a short little galloping video with it I can post... you can hear the horn at the end.

oooh! thanks for the tip! I need to see Painted Wings' photos! That's great to know. I want to try the neckstrap thing as soon as we're into coats.

and yes, POST your pics and video!

Yes, I routinely carry a camera in my leather saddlebag and have been known to gallop and shoot at the same time. It'll take videos too though now that I have a little Flip camera I might try that- have used on trail rides at walk but I don't know what would come out at a gallop!

Default Video at a gallop

I just had to throw this in ... I was riding in Ireland for ~ a week, point to point, and the two guides were young French girls (maybe in their early 20's) and one of them, as we were cantering along a beach, rode along beside us, passing us one by one, aiming a videocamera at each rider, and then turned it around and aimed it at herself, while still at a canter or slow gallop...it was great fun to see the video!

I always take a camera hunting with me - have one that fits in my hunt coat pocket. We have a professional photographer who hunts around the country, taking and selling great photos. She has a very good camera that she hangs around her neck and tucks into the front of her coat when not in use. She gets to the fences and parks her horse and takes photos of everyone jumping. She also has a great, obliging horse!

Thumbs up Yup! Do it!

We've got some regulars on this forum that regularly include pics with their fieldhunters ears in them!
    Some ladies from Arizona, Missouri, Florida, New Jersey and old Virginny come to mind!
    Do it! Share it!
    I can't....you'd only get pics of my fingers me thinks!

A little canter through the woods. You can hear the huntsman's horn at the end. Bridlespur, Cedar Valley fixture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AbhMSdS4o4

Default I hunt with a camera

in my coat pocket. I took over 2000 photos last season and everyone seemed to enjoy the photos, which are posted on my hunts website www.wentworthhunt.org in the photo gallery.

Several members hunt with a small camera in tow. I personally love to see the photos and videos from out in the field.

Here's a few pics I took from last season:
    http://images.photos1.walmart.com/23...34698326nu0mrj
    http://images.photos1.walmart.com/23...%3B95326nu0mrj
    http://images.photos1.walmart.com/23...B%3A4326nu0mrj

And someone was nice enough to snatch my camera for a shot of the field photographer. (me!)
    http://images.photos1.walmart.com/23...3A%3B326nu0mrj

I'm blessed with a horse that I can ride one handed (most of the time) so taking action shots while in action is fairly easy.
    http://images.photos1.walmart.com/23...B9%3B326nu0mrj
    Although I can't guarantee I won't chop off a few heads! :P

I always carry a tiny, cheap digital in my pocket while hunting. I'm a whipper-in, so I'm often in a really good spot to take pics, but also pretty busy . I've gotten some really great shots though, and the fuzzy ones can be deleted. I think most hunt people really appreciate seeing nice action shots, even if some of them are less then perfect.

A little tip I learned is to always leave the wrist strap on the camera hanging out of pocket or camera case so you can get wrist thru before actually getting ahold of the camera. That way you still have your camera at the end of the day to show all the great shots you got!

I carry an Olympus point and shoot camera while I ride. I just tuck it in the top of my boot when I'm not using it and was sure to buy the waterproof/shock resistant one. As an aside, many of the helmet cams come with a 'still' mode so you can have the camera take photos instead of video.

Default Been doing it for years

Here's the link to my photos.

http://www.pbase.com/lesliegra/fox_hunting

take lots, delete lots. You get some good ones. I use a Nikon point and shoot that I can stick in my coat pocket.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Thanks, everyone! All wonderful advice and SUPER pictures. I can't wait to get started!!!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Get thee a GoPro.

They are action cameras designed exactly for what you are looking for. I'd advise the GoPro Hero 3 White version as you don't seem like you want to do all the crazy stuff that Black has to offer.

They come with oodles of different options for accessories. I'd recommend a helmet mount or probably a chest strap depending on how tall you are/how your view is on a horse.

The fun is in the editing where you can speed up, slow down, freeze etc.

If not there's a JVC action camcorder you can put on your helmet and wear.

If you want something that's more point and shoot I love, love the Olympus Tough series for horse people. Great picture quality for the price. Really nice video and super rugged and durable. Waterproof, dust proof, shock proof, freezer proof and heat proof. They are more outdoorsy type cameras and can take a beating.

(I work in a camera shop thus the recs)
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

1 members found this post helpful.