The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default USA finishes 7th in 2011 Nations Cup Series

We have been relegated to the promotional league. A very sad day indeed.

Not a big surprise though, we have been hovering near the bottom for a while now, except for the occasional good result.

Do you think anything will happen to our fearless leader?

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Not a big surprise though, we have been hovering near the bottom for a while now, except for the occasional good result.
    I think that that's a little unfair. USA won in 2005, 6th in 2008, 2nd in 2009 & 2010. Hardly a long slow descent.
    But it's tough if the riders with the horses don't commit to the team effort.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

It's a testament to our lack of depth on the team. Hopefully this will help push us in the right direction!

I think it is embarrassing for the US team. You expect some of the other countries to be dropped but the US should be up there. No aachen? Give me a break. The problem is that most of the riders here would rather stay home and make money than run around Europe without having clients and jump huge fences with tough competition for less money.

Now the problem will be the US pushing the good riders to go to the crappy shows to move the US back up. But the good riders won't want to show at the crappy shows with bad footing and no crowds. So it will be a less experienced team trying to move up. Plus it will be an olympic year. I guess we will see what happens

The problem is that most of the riders here would rather stay home and make money than run around Europe without having clients and jump huge fences with tough competition for less money.

No, the problem is that most of the riders here HAVE to stay home and make money. They make their living training customers and riding customers' horses, and those customers get a little miffed if their trainer is never home. With only one Nations Cup in the US, an awful lot of time has to be spent away from home in order to be competitive. The Europeans can still go to competitions all over Europe without having to travel thousands of miles. It's a little easier to take care of business at home for them.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels09 View Post
    The problem is that most of the riders here would rather stay home and make money than run around Europe without having clients and jump huge fences with tough competition for less money.
    oh, I know. Imagine how selfish you have to be to choose a mortgage payment over nations cup glory. shocking, just shocking that we let such riff raff represent this country.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    oh, I know. Imagine how selfish you have to be to choose a mortgage payment over nations cup glory. shocking, just shocking that we let such riff raff represent this country.
    lol, this!

I doubt anyone who represents the US has a mortgage payment. They either come from money or have made their millions in sales. It is certainly their choice if they want to stay home or travel abroad. Come to think of it, there aren't that many americans who stayed home that would be up to par riding in a Super League.

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl View Post
    Do you think anything will happen to our fearless leader?
    This is an unpopular opinion, but I think it is time for our fearless leader to step down...I was very unimpressed by his blaming the lack of success on the team in an interview I read a few weeks ago.

If he can't solve the problem, it's time to find someone who will.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

absolutely. why around here we still pick up the spare hundreds that Laura Kraut left behind in her wealthy childhood. Not.

Funny thing about selling horses for a living. Turns out you need to keep selling them to keep money coming in. It turns out that horse fail as an interest earning vehicle.

still laughing at the idea international caliber riders do not have mortgages. Sign me up for that gig.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Some questions to consider:
    Does our chef do enough to court potential owners to make sure we have top caliber horses for our best riders? Other countries do this. We have some great riders without horses at the moment ....
    Has our obsession with equitation in the teenage years shifted our focus from developing top show jumpers? Yes I know top show jumpers have won equitation finals but even they will tell you it is much different now than in the days of beezie McLain Leslie Katie etc winning finals.
    Has our out of control pony market forced too many possible talents out the door in the early years? Are we losing riders because they can't step up to the cost to compete over 2'6 jumps. Are their parents bound and determined to find another sport?
    Have we made it prohibitive to run a breeding facility here like they do in Europe? Where breeders employ show riders to market their stock at Horse shows that cost 1000 for 3 horses to enter....
    Has our encouragement to make riding a collegiate sport only further served to discourage male participation? Boys are not allowed to ride on collegiate teams...it is a womens sport under NCAA
    Has our amateur rule hurt us or helped us? We have some great young show jumping amateurs whose parent have literally spent millions on their string and then we have some non wealthy talents who can only catch ride if they turn pro and really aren't showing to rise to the top but just to show the horse for sale....
    Just some questions to spark discussion. Dropping out of the super league is only a symptom of the bigger problem
    Last edited by funnygirl; Aug. 27, 2011 at 11:09 AM.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

No Sapphire, no Authentic. That's what happened this year.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Blaming this unfortunate occurrence on some conspiracy among the US elite riders wanting to stay home to roll around in their respective (non-existant) piles of dough with their silver spoon clientele is way off base.

This is a total shame. At the same time, it could be a powerful wake-up call to look at the various factors that got us in this position, from lack of equivalent competitions on US soil to the changing ownership model to the horse and rider development system (or lack thereof).

Can someone clearly explain the roadmap to qualifying for the London games for the US without the benefit of competing in the Nations Cup?

Does this mean that it's all or nothing at the Pan Am Games in order to qualify?

To make a small fortune in the horse business involves starting with a large fortune. Economy, politics and priorities are what is wrong now. Also our litigious nature precludes the selection of the best. They are all used up by the time they get there. sigh...........
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    This is an unpopular opinion, but I think it is time for our fearless leader to step down...I was very unimpressed by his blaming the lack of success on the team in an interview I read a few weeks ago.

If he can't solve the problem, it's time to find someone who will.
    I completely agree. I read the same article and was appalled by how much he worked to make himself seem completely blameless. Really? So you were disappointed...but not once did you offer any suggestion or solutions moving forward.

Default same leader, different leader...

It has to be hard to pick a team when the cost of showing at that level is rediculous. 20 to 30, maybe even more, years ago the depth and breadth of talent at that level was amazing. Today people have it much easier to pîck riders, even from other nations, to ride their horses.

Yes I understand that owners want the best for their investment, but with NO replacements for our aging international riders, I see nothing but this for a long time to come.

We haven't fielded our best team of riders for years, we have fielded our best riders with money.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
    http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

I'm very sad to see a top Equestrian Nation dropped from the Super League.

I'm sure you have the depth of talented riders, what is missing is the depth of equally talented horses, this is due to the fact that made top horses have increased dramatically in price (because demand has dramatically increased) and that you don't have (yet) a system to bring young horses to the top level in a viable economic model.

Many top countries in the jumper world (that are also the producers of top horses) are facing this problem and are seeing some of their top horses quit the country for incredible amounts of money.

So unless owners will accept to pay huge amounts of $/€ to buy top horses or owners of top horses will refuse to sell them (Equestrian Federations will need to find a way to make this choice attractive to owners or at least acceptable) this situation will deteriorate.

IMHO this is the main problem we will all be facing.
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    We haven't fielded our best team of riders for years, we have fielded our best riders with money.
    This.