The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stinky, stinky dog breath

I adopted a dog one month ago. At the time his coat was dull, his breath stunk and his overall body condition was flabby. I took him to my vet for a quick "is he okay" exam. She said all was well (except for the way his broken leg healed) and that his body and health conditions would gradually improve with a good diet and daily excercise.

Well his coat is looking very glossy and doesn't smell bad any more, he is getting more of a toned muscle look, but his breath is atrocious. The vet said to bring him in for an oral check-up and possibly teeth cleaning. His teeth look fine and he has no problems chewing.

But before I shell out money, has anyone dealt with bad breath using a 'home remedy'?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

You may not see the plaque on the front teeth, but check the carnassial tooth (the big molar, well, actually it's a pre-molar, further back and I bet you'll see lots o' plaque.

If his teeth truly are fine, you may have another cause. I saw a case written up in one of the veterinary journals about a dog with progressively severe halitosis that ultimately led to nasal discharge. Reg vet put him on cephalixing for thee weeks, the dog got better and then it returned. Another course of cephalexin, same result.

The vet did skull rads and didn't see anything, so he referred the dog for a scope.

The scope found the condyle of a deer femur stuck in the dog's nasopharynx. It wasn't visible on X-ray because it was hidden by other structures. But it had been rattling around in there for a while.

I'm not saying your dog has a deer bone stuck in his head, of course, but there can be other causes.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

He must have something in his teeth to smell that bad. Dog breath is fairly normal, but there is dog breath and then stinky.

We had two dogs, a daschund (17 y.o.) and a greyhound ((7 Y.o.) and after several years of going back for more cleanings and extractions, they took all of the teeth out. Best thing we ever did. They ate kibble just fine, they put on good weight, shiny coats and were not swallowing that filthy bacteria. Some mouths are just putrid, like our one greyhound. The other one had a fine mouth - go figure.

Chlorofresh.

Works well and is safe.

It depends on how dirty his teeth are.
    My JRT chewed every piece of her food with one rotten tooth and all of the rest of her teeth looking horrible!
    She lived fine with the rotten tooth for a little while and one vet said "oh it won't cause any problems if you just leave it!" but thats not true! Her gums were infected and she was also swallowing all of that bacteria which wasn't doing her any favors :[. Other vet said it would be in her best interest to get them cleaned. When we finally did bloodwork we noticed how many white blood cells she had fighting that infection!
    In the end we decided to get her teeth cleaned. It was a hard choice because she is older - 13, but she still plays with our 2 yr old 120lb GSD-X, but I think now she is happier and glad i'll finally let her give me kisses again!

If it just plaque you could look into a place (maybe a groomers?) that uses plaque-cleanse - they spray it on and then use water picks and it can work well at removing plaque. (the kennel I work at offers it).

If they aren't that bad you could try something other than a dental but if that isn't an option I would go ahead and get them cleaned. Dirty teeth can cause bigger issues, and it will only cost more the longer you wait! (ours was about a 250% increase from the normal $200 fee).

I took in a neighbors old dog last December. They had stopped bringing him inside because he smelled really bad despite baths, etc.

Brought him to the vets for his horrendous breath, but his chart was red flagged as him requiring a muzzle there.
    (that family used the same vet I do)
    So too tough to look at his teeth, but obviously infection going on. A round of antibiotics, back in to get knocked out to take a look and the vet removed 15 teeth!!! She said they were so rotten they slid out without any serious pulling. They didn't look rotten and he was eating, etc fine. (he was actually chubby)
    After that...he's fine and dandy and has normal dog breath now. Which is nice because boy howdy does that old guy love snuggles and kisses.

Maybe it's a rotten tooth/teeth?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Bad teeth. First thing is a trip to the vet for an evaluation, cleaning, extractions and antibiotics.

Our 12 year old Lab X has had dental cleanings every 2 years all her life, but last year her breath got SO bad it made me gag. I took her to the vet and they wound up extracting 8 teeth. Warning: multiple extractions are not cheap. Get an "worst case" estimate ahead of time so that you are prepared for the bill.

Taking care of dental decay and infection is very, very important because all the bacteria from the bad teeth is circulating through the body and stresses their organs, immune system, etc.

Our labrador has breath that will knock you over. I took her to one vet who said maybe it was her anal glands... Umm?? I could definitely tell what end it was coming from, and it wasn't that! Not surprisingly her bad breath didn't disappear after those were expressed.. we did notice she has one brownish tooth at the front of her mouth. One of these days we'll probably have that pulled. Hopefully it'll work!
    I can definitely commiserate, though. I mean, i know there's bad dog breath and then there's BAD dog breath!!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Same thing with our older Golden. I'm talking hideous, gag-worthy, knock-a-buzzard-off-a-$h!t-wagon breath.

The vet extracted a bad tooth and just like that, he's welcome to kiss me again. The dog, not the vet.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

OK hiddenlake- i think you've convinced me... If it would turn my lab's breath from deadly to just doggy, i may have to schedule that tooth pulling asap!
    It looks like she had some injury to it- kind of strange to have one brown tooth in the very front of her mouth...?
    Oh she'll look so funny missing a front tooth... awww.

"The vet extracted a bad tooth and just like that, he's welcome to kiss me again. The dog, not the vet."

(A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Okay, I'll schedule a check-up/cleaning. Funny that the teeth might look good but still be the problem. There's something nasty going on because his "morning breath" will make you hurl.

I will also try the Chlorofresh. thanks!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I had a terrier mix whosebottom front teeth were kinda far apart. she would bite herself get hair rapped around those teeth then get food in that. Ick. Once we pulled out the grill she smelled better.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I have an English Bull Terrier and since they're notorious for not handling anesthesia well, I am trying to get her through life without ever having a teeth cleaning session.

Things that work:

Doggy mouth wash in her water bowl.
    Doggy toothpaste, regularly smeared on her rope toy and sometimes on a toothbrush if I'm up to the fight (although it's much easier with this brand and flavor than others).
    Enzymatic chews. I would be careful if your dog's not a thorough chewer. Mine is so I don't worry about her choking, but Greenies work very well as do the star shaped HealthiDent cookies from WalMart if choking's a concern or if you're anti rawhide.

Your dog needs something to chew on regularly for good dental health too. Because mine can tear apart and splinter even meat bones fast, she has an antler that lasts months.

The last time I had one show up here with stinky, neglected teeth, I started him off with one of these and then went to the mouthwash/toothpaste and daily chew route. He had totally acceptable dog breath within a couple of weeks.

Gestalt...I was surprised too that so many teeth had to come out when none looked horrid. (Tucker would let me look in his mouth, just not at the vets. Sweetest creature around but apparently turns into the Tazmanian Devil at the vets)

He had 2 iffy looking molars...when the vet called afterwards to let me knnow how it went and she said 15 teeth I almost fell over! Even though they looked completely normal, they had pockets of infection underneath that had rotted the teeth from the inside. She said one or two teeth may go bad and it can spread under the gums to other teeth. And those teeth of his were so bad she said it was a pleasure to pull them since it took hardly any effort. She said they came out like a hot knife through butter.

And the difference! Despite there still being some infection in the root pockets when he came home...his breath was a million times better! After some more antibiotics to clear up the rest..normal doggy breath.

Vet said that even though so many were rotten and had to be painful...he didn't show any signs probably because this happens so slowly over time that dogs can get used to the discomfort and change how they chew, etc and just never show much sign except for that absolutely disgusting stink! Poor Tucker stank walking into the room, you didn't have to get too close to his mouth to gag.

Not only that but Tucker was a like a new dog after. The lack of discomfort made him go from acting like an older than dirt but happy dog to acting like a 5 year old ecstatic fool.

But yeah, it's expensive. Although just a vet cleaning is pretty costly too. I had 15 teeth removed, day long stay, anesthesia and antibiotics to take home for $748 IIRC. Somewhere in the mid 700 range. And I think they gave me a break on cost due to the teeth all coming out so easy and fast (he wasn;t under long at all and they didn't have to do any cutting or yanking. But she said they almost passed out from the stench, LOL) and due to the dog not being mine but paying for the surgery he needed anyway. The family had gone through some major personal and financial issues. However I did end up with the dog anyway.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

JohnDeere...my Malamute years ago got a chunk of something stuck between his molars years ago. Hoo boy did that STINK! Had to have him knocked out to check and the vet pulled out something slimey, stinky and gross. We never did figure out what the hell it had been before getting stuck...but yeah a foreign anything in there can stink.

CoolMeadows...love that breed! And yep, anesthesia and that breed is risky. Good chews given often are a big help...wears plaque off. It's just finding safe chews that don't pack on lbs if you give them often enough.

I've also found that fresh large bones from the butcher's at the grocery store work great on strong chewers. When fresh they don't splinter like baked/dried ones do...not to mention they cost next to nothing and freeze awesome! I ask at the butcher's window for the large marrow bones, they'll cut them to whatever length I want and give me as many as I want and I pay about 30 cents per lb!

I use regular store bought chews and fresh bones for both of my dogs. Tucker's remaining teeth are all clean now and Chase's teeth have never had a problem.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

i was at our vets' one day when a lady brought in a dachschund she had found along the roadside. It was almost completely hairless- looked like flea allergy pattern, plus yeast infection on the skin (eww). The next day i was back at the vet (because i have wonderful luck like that. sigh.) and one of the vets was talking about that Doxie. They put her under and when they examined her mouth, they found a lollipop stick wedged on the roof of her mouth. The vet said everyone in the OR was gagging from the smell of it when it came out. Poor dog, but i bet she felt SOOO MUCH better after that thing was gone!!
    (he does listen!)

I have toy manchester terriers. They have small mouths. No stinky breaths here but that is because I brush their teeth regularly, scale their teeth, and I also use a water pik on them. I use dog toothpaste, and a regular human toothbrush. Both dogs I have are 11#'s so they are small. But a bigger dog would be ok too, have done those too. They do not mind at all the water pik usage.

Yes.I.Do.

I have shown this breed in the conformation shows with VERY good success.

Also trained and showed obedience with Labs.

Handling a dogs mouth is easy, and easy to train.

You clean the dogs teeth yourself, or pay the bucks for a vet to do it.

WE have two Bull Terriers and they have both been put under for teeth work - check with your vet for advice whether he thinks there is a risk. We had two greyhounds who also needed special attention under anaesthetic. And our ancient daxie (died at 17) needed dental work and it added years to his life (we estimate: at least his quality of life was better).

Rotten teeth must be hell for these poor dogs, let alone the bacteria they swallow.

Because of the cost, I was glad to have as many out as possible at each cleaning.

My bully's only 6 and her teeth are perfect but if she needs something as she ages, I'll weigh it out then. My vet's aware of the risk with the breed and is happy with the track she's on. Just trying to put anaesthesia off as long as possible and hopefully avoid it altogether!