The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Default Going to the Dark Side: Moving from Technical to Sales. Tips on Working from Home?

This Thursday will be my last day in my current job, which is a technical position. I am moving into a home-based technical sales position in the same industry (pharmaceuticals). It's BIG step up for my career and I'm thrilled about the new opportunity. I also get to work from home and my travel is going to drop by 75% or more which is just a huge, huge deal for me as I have two little children and traveling 2-3 weeks a month was simply killing me.

I've never worked from home and I'm seeking feedback on how to start out successfully. I've heard that most people either love it or hate it and I'd like to hear anything that you found made it better/ more productive etc. I'm a pretty focused, motivated person so I don't ~think~ I'll have a problem, but I'd still like to hear from you. Very few of my friends work from home now so I seek some classic COTH wisdom!
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Find a good CPA to provide advise.

Establish a dedicated office in the home... solely for business... that percentage of the home's costs become a business expense. (internet, land lines, fax lines also)

Be careful since you are coming from the tech side that you do not get bogged down in fielding trouble calls...that is unless you are compensated for the problem solving

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I have been working from home for 7 years. I love it. My husband also works from home, we have two separate offices in the house

I do agree, set up an office that is not in the mainstream of the rest of the household activities. Make sure everyone in the house knows not to disturb you during work hours unless it is very, very important.

I love not having to get dressed up (some early morning meetings I attend in my pj's).

I love that I can run out to the barn and tend to the horses if necessary (replace a fly mask, toss hay in the stalls if it's going to rain, stuff like that).

The downside is that sometimes I just work too many hours. My job consists of a lot of meetings, and if I get a lot of tasks from those meetings, the only time I can actually do the work is after everyone else has logged off and gone home.

Congrats on the new position.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams