The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hunter/Jumper riders only ones required to wear regulation helmets?

Could someone explain to me why the hunter/jumper segment of USEF are the only ones that have to wear regulation helmets? Are we the only ones that fall off? I was at the Germantown Charity show this year and watched a saddlebred go nuts standing in the line up. The rider fell off, and you could hear her head hit the ground across the ring. I think it should be mandatory of all disciplines to wear a helmet. How can you make one discipline do it and not require the others? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by EyesUp View Post
    Could someone explain to me why the hunter/jumper segment of USEF are the only ones that have to wear regulation helmets? Are we the only ones that fall off?
    Not True

Other disciplines that require helmets are Dressage (except the FEI levels), Eventing, and several, though by no means all, of the breeds.

These are even stricter than the H/J rules, because they cover ALL riding on the show grounds, not just "when jumping".
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

The breed show people, for the most part, are very, very resistant to helmets, especially "regulation" helmets which tend to be bigger and bulkier. The Morgans (which show under USEF for their breed shows) right now only require helmets in leadline classes, and that may have been a sop to the USEF to keep the helmet requirements for others at bay for a few years.

How ever many years ago, H/J went through exactly the same process of resistance and argument. I don't know what caused the change, but it happened.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

actually if you around a lot during the charity, a lot of the h/j didn't wear helmets while schooling.

i guess it doesn't look classic in the nuts stuff going on down in the bowl. but i don't know. they still have saddles that look like they are from the middle ages with no padding...

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I'm pretty sure if you are not jumping and not a junior, you don't have to wear an ASTM helmet in h/j land, it's just most of us ARE jumping when we are at a show so you tend to see most people in approved helmets. But the disciplines themselves decide which rules they will follow, and I sincerely doubt change will come from anyplace but "within". In other words, if it bothers you, buy a saddlebred, compete and start change from within.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Never understood how a fall off a dressage horse, a racking horse, a saddlebred or a western pleasure horse was immune to injury. Same ground down there no matter what, same hooves to crack a skull, same distance to the ground, same risk IMO. I'm one of those people who, in my middle age, NEVER rides without my helmet. I want to minimize my risk as much as possible.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

I've noticed in recent years that at many H/J shows prize lists will state that all competitors will wear helmets while mounted. I think the statement is an exemption from liability for show management, rather than actual rule that is enforced.

I used to trail ride frequently with a nice group of western ladies, they would tease me mercilessly about my helmet. "We're just walking, do you REALLY need a HELMET?", "I am a VERY experienced rider." and my favorite, "My horse is a SEASONED trail horse, he's not scared of anything." Well, one day we "experienced riders" were "just walking" when a group of wild hogs scared the "seasoned trail" horses, they all spun and bolted. One of the girls fell off and fractured her skull. She recovered 100% from her injury, thankfully, and now never gets on without a helmet.

Was at a local gymkhana last weekend taking pictures. Only 16 and under kids were wearing helmets (because they HAVE to by law)... everyone else was wearing trucker hats, nothing, and possibly a cowboy hat.

What irks me is that all of the younger kids, even the ones not riding, look up to them. I saw younger mothers riding without helmets in front of their kids, and I didn't really find that to be a good example to set when you know people look up to you as a role model.

And it doesn't matter how seasoned or experience you and your horse are, anything can happen. Even a trip or a stumble and it could be over for you. After this weekend, I found out from my father that his friend's cob reared up while walking around the ring because she spooked at something. He pierced one of his lungs, had some sort of head trauma, among other things. He's been riding and driving and training horses for probably 30+ years. It can happen to anyone... and I think it's just that people really believe that it can't happen to them.

That seems to be a growing mentality towards everything, especially with younger generations (just noting what's around me since I'm still pretty young imo). "I won't get in an accident by texting while driving, I'm extra careful about it/I can multitask easily" is not far off from "I'm a good rider and I'm careful about what I do/My horse is experienced or dead broke"

H/J, Eventers, and Dressage (4th level and below) require approved helmets. Not familiar with the breed show rules, but I'm sure they'll be following soon.

I don't know if they'll ever be able to get the western riders to trade their cowboy hats for helmets, but it would be nice to see 18 and under have to wear a helmet.

What's interesting to me is how the market for helmet makers has completely opened up since requiring approved helmets. Now there's a fit and make for everyone's preference.

It's a choice. And I think Darwin's Theory can take care of the rest.

In dressage, unless you are riding only FEI, you must wear a helmet in all your classes, including the FEI classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

An approved helmet is required for the marathon phase of ADS combined driving events, whether or not those divisions are also approved by the USEF. And I believe juniors are required to wear a helmet in all phases of combined driving and in pleasure shows.
    Last edited by ZELLA; Aug. 26, 2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: add info

Helmets are approved, as some others have said, in various breeds - for some age groups. And one mother, in particular, in the Morgan world, has written an article about her decision to have her daughter show (saddle seat) in a helmet. Actually, I saw several young riders showing in helmets at the NE (or MA) Morgan Show last month.

And for proof of riders in other disciplines falling off, check out www.ckddressage.com. One of my best friends from college had a similar accident several years ago - she was walking her upper level (not FEI) horse, in a warm-up ring, in FL (Wellington), when he hit a soft sand pocket and fell. Cracked her on the head as he got up. Both Courtney and Sue were adults - and Courtney has inspired the dressage world to consider safety before tradition. Note the rule change that all non-FEI riders are to show in helmets.

You're right about the western & saddle seat 'worlds' resisting the helmet. It's the law (unenforced) in NYS and others for all riders under the age of 18. But it's NOT enforced, and parents aren't laying down the law, and neither are trainers. Until one of those things change, you'll see derbies and western hats.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

As a libertarian, I oppose ALL government mandates that remove personal choice from wearing protective equipment (ear plugs, safety glasses, helmets, seat belts, etc). Even for children. That's a parent's responsibility, not society's.

However, neither I nor my daughter get on a horse without a helmet. As for bycicles, sometimes I wear one sometimes I don't.

The problem with other people's "choice" not to protect their safety is that other people-typically me- have to suffer for their "choice" through higher insurance premiums, higher use of public safety personel like fire trucks for paramedics,and quite frankly advocating for people not having to protect their own children is coldblooded and cruel. Children don't have free will to pick their parents, they are vulnerable and need to be protected by government.

Sometimes I think if you really don't want government, move somewhere else and enjoy your life without impacting mine.

What Stolen Virtue said - at least this part of it...

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    The problem with other people's "choice" not to protect their safety is that other people-typically me- have to suffer for their "choice" through higher insurance premiums, higher use of public safety personel like fire trucks for paramedics,
    I have often said that MY wearing a seatbelt or a motorcylce helmet does NOT affect YOUR safety - therefore, it's none of your business. That said, if you choose not to wear either - or a bicycle or a riding helmet - then YOU or your family or friends should have no right to expect medical or legal assistance that you cannot pay for out of your own pocket. NOT from insurance policies that I, too, have been paying into for 50+ years.

C
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I think it will be a cold day in you knw where before helemts becaome either acceptable or mandatory in the Saddlebred world. They are pretty convinced that if your horse is trained and you're a good rider, you won't be falling off. I've heard of several riders coming off this week at the World's Championships, but IMO it is going to take someone really famous getting really hurt to get anyone but the Moms of academy riders to say "well maybe that is a good idea."

I don't believe bike helmets or seat belts ought to be mandatory either. We're over populating the earth
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    As a libertarian, I oppose ALL government mandates that remove personal choice from wearing protective equipment (ear plugs, safety glasses, helmets, seat belts, etc). Even for children. That's a parent's responsibility, not society's.

Absolutely. But it is well within the authority of USEF as the governing/sanctioning body of equestrian sports to require helmets at all of its venues from all of its competitors. And, really, it is only a lawsuit away.

When we were riding motorcycle enduros, Connecticut had no helmet law. That did not matter to NE Trail Riders, the sanctioning body. If you didn't have a helmet, you didn't play in their sandbox. Period.

The benefits of helmets in reducing the severity of head injury is so widely known that the defense that "Our (cowboy, derby, top) hats are traditional" won't hold any water with a judge or jury that has brain cells.

But I agree that the government should stay out of it, but USEF should make a comprehensive ruling before thay lose that first $10 million lawsuit.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    What Stolen Virtue said - at least this part of it...

I have often said that MY wearing a seatbelt or a motorcylce helmet does NOT affect YOUR safety - therefore, it's none of your business. That said, if you choose not to wear either - or a bicycle or a riding helmet - then YOU or your family or friends should have no right to expect medical or legal assistance that you cannot pay for out of your own pocket. NOT from insurance policies that I, too, have been paying into for 50+ years.

C
    You paying into a risk pool does not give you the authority to dictate behavior of others who pay into it. Those who generate the higher level of claims get to pay for it by higher premiums.

The market prices risk.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    The problem with other people's "choice" not to protect their safety is that other people-typically me- have to suffer for their "choice" through higher insurance premiums, higher use of public safety personel like fire trucks for paramedics,and quite frankly advocating for people not having to protect their own children is coldblooded and cruel. Children don't have free will to pick their parents, they are vulnerable and need to be protected by government.

Sometimes I think if you really don't want government, move somewhere else and enjoy your life without impacting mine.
    When I speed, do your premiums rise? No.

When I need a PUBLIC rescue squad, do you pay higher taxes? Nope. I get a bill for medical transport.

Nope, like I told someone else, you paying taxes and insurance does not give you power over others' lives. In fact, many people in your insurance pool would probably love to forbid you from riding horses since there is no need to do so anymore and in their view it increases the risk that you will collect from their insurance. See we can both play the "ban" game.

Wherever did I say that I wanted no government? You are imagining things.

I want government to do nothing more than protect my rights from being infringed by others. You want to use government to infringe upon others' rights under the guise of some imagined "impact" upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Absolutely. But it is well within the authority of USEF as the governing/sanctioning body of equestrian sports to require helmets at all of its venues from all of its competitors. And, really, it is only a lawsuit away.

When we were riding motorcycle enduros, Connecticut had no helmet law. That did not matter to NE Trail Riders, the sanctioning body. If you didn't have a helmet, you didn't play in their sandbox. Period.

The benefits of helmets in reducing the severity of head injury is so widely known that the defense that "Our (cowboy, derby, top) hats are traditional" won't hold any water with a judge or jury that has brain cells.

But I agree that the government should stay out of it, but USEF should make a comprehensive ruling before thay lose that first $10 million lawsuit.
    You're entirely correct. There is a huge difference between coercion via law and the rules of a voluntary organization.