The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Possible move to Denver from Chicago - Recommendations

I might be moving from Chicago to Denver in a couple of months (job interview next week) and would like recommendations or helpful info for my horses. I would be taking 3 mares and possibly a gelding with me. We basically trail ride, the mares drive and all 4 dabble in dressage for suppleness and respect for the aids. I currently keep them with me where I rent property/barn and a house and are out 24/7 with a shed and stalls if needed. At first I believe I need a boarding stable with pasture board until I can locate property to rent. Recommendations? What is the bug situation in the area? Any good barefoot trimmers? Any that will take a VERY well mannered Clydesdale? Prices? Vet recommendations? Hay prices? Any info/recommendations will be most appreciated.

Thank you
    Elizabeth

I don't know what the prices are like in Chicago (i'm sure pricey as well), but finding a decent priced rental barn/facility is NOT cheap in Denver. I would try in the surrounding communities of Denver- especially to the east (away from teh mountains) if you are looking for good prices.

I lived there for a few years with our 2 trail horses. Board at a decent facility just outside of Denver (did not provide grain just hay) in paddock board cost $300.00 a month per horse. You can find some places for $250 a month for dry lot pasture board (finding grassy pastures is not that common out there), but they are usually a longer commute back into Denver.

Parker and Castle Rock have nice pasture board facilities with wonderful barefoot trimmers- They can just be a bit of a commute. We boarded at a place out in Littleton- and the trails could NOT be beaten there- but again, no grassy pastures, and only hay fed. For a multiple horse dry lot paddock, and it still cost $300 per horse. I remember always trying to find a place that would take better care of the horses...

Denver is the ultimate place to own horses no doubt, but you better get out your checkbook or fill up the gas tank... it can get very pricey or be a longer commute for decent board under $500.

As for bugs- coming from the midwest, I NEVER had an issue with them! My first summer out there was amazing- I couldn't believe how little bug spray I used