The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle fit: source of welt?

As one may have guessed from my other thread, I'm currently looking for a dressage saddle. I tried one that seemed to fit my horse very well and allowed her to move very freely. What I find strange though is that she developed a welt on her spine after 2-3 rides. I had the demo saddle long enough to know its the saddle doing this and not a bug bite. The welt goes away by the following day.

The welt is right on top of the spine and does not appear to bother my horse. I pressed on and around the welt with no reaction from my horse. Interestingly, when I added a 3/16" felt pad on top of my standard square quilted pad then the welt didn't form during the ride.

This saddle is extremely adjustable (adjustable tree, wool flocked) and a saddle fitter brought it out, checked the fit, etc. so I'm surprised this would happen. What would cause this?

saddle does not fit, the saddle should be fitted with you on top as well as on its own, te saddle sinks down into the back if its lack of flocking call him back out and have another look this time with you on top of the horse and also ride in to prove the point , f you dont address this now this will become perminant lump and then perminat back damage and the horse wont have a career in anything

The saddle fitter did check the fit on the ground and with me in it, but not after 20-30 minutes of riding.

Would the welt on the spine indicate that the gullet is too wide such that when I sit in the saddle the center of the tree sinks down and touches the horse directly from the top?

the welt mostly indicates that you have a very sensitive horse that will require more frequent saddle fitting adjustments to keep comfortable. I personally would have the fitter back out, show them pictures of the welt, and have them adjust the saddle (I'd add a mattes pad fwiw), and have the fitter stay until you are done with a normal 45 minute ride.
    My fitter does and I have a princess and the pea too
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    The saddle fitter did check the fit on the ground and with me in it, but not after 20-30 minutes of riding.

Would the welt on the spine indicate that the gullet is too wide such that when I sit in the saddle the center of the tree sinks down and touches the horse directly from the top?
    When I was looking for a saddle I tried one out that was too wide and it did sink down and put pressure on a small area of the spine. My horse is too stoic for his own good and it took a while for me to figure out why he was just NQR.

I put a piece of baling twine under the gullet, got on the horse and tried to pull it through. It didn't budge so I figured there was contact somewhere. I tried another saddle, did the same thing and the twine was freely moving front to back and side to side.

Not particularly a scientific method but it answered the "is this saddle touching the spine?" question pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post

I'd ask why the fit wasn't checked after 20-30 min of riding (re horse should be warmed up & then actually working in the saddle) - I thought this was "standard" when evaluating saddle fit (though if this was the 5th saddle etc I can readily see why the fitter may've needed to leave).

If possible also have video done of various saddles so that you can reflect on them later, especially if you don't have your coach there at the time.

As the saddle sounds very adjustable, your saddle fitter should be able to finesse the saddle; if you like it otherwise I'd not rule it out (especially as your horse is likely to get wider etc, just make sure there's enough future wither clearance as well).

^^ In my case we only had one saddle at the time. So yeah, it was a surprise to me they didn't stay to watch.

I've been going with County as the local rep/fitter is awesome (& a couple of the demo saddles actually fit FP very nicely) - initial visit was almost 3 hours (FP was extra "special" at the time - needed a new saddle but still very suspicious of people & strange saddles, so everything was done v.e.r.y s.l.o.w.l.y).

Last flocking adjustment was done without any riding at all as it was completely miserable weather (compromised on great turn out/short drive/no indoor) - rode a few days later & saddle was perfect

So just open up a converstaion with the saddle fitter & see what she/he was thinking