The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tailor Recommendation in NoVA?

A very dear friend just gave me a navy Huntsman coat that used to belong to Mrs. A.C. Randolph. It is in perfect condition, and fits me well in the shoulders, sleeves, and length, except for, well, Mrs. Randolph was obviously a bit more, umm, generously endowed than I am, and I need to get it taken in at the bust and waist.

Needless to say, I do NOT want to mess up this coat. So, can anyone give me a recommendation for someone who is experienced with dealing with vintage hunt coats?
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Call Jean at Horse Country, they have someone that could do it I believe (cannot recall her name) and when can I see the new jacket? Congratulations, it sounds LOVELY!

ask Berk in the Tack Box
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Just went through this myself with getting my mom's old hunt coat repaired. I called Horse Country, MTE and the Tack Box to see who they recommended. Horse Country sends all of their customers to Inge at Warrenton Custom Fashions
    (540) 347-5913
    28 John Marshall St, #A, Warrenton.

The Tack Box uses a local dry cleaner in Middleburg, which didn't sound very promising to me.

Middleburg Tack Exchange recommended a place in Purcellville, but I don't have the info in front of me to tell you what it is.

My mom's coat is a good 50 yrs old, and the lining shredded on my last foxhunting trip. There was some alarming creaking noises from the shoulders as well. Inge took it apart, and is in the process of replacing the lining and also letting the seams out a smidge on the shoulders and upper back. The lining and all the thread were shot, so she's essentially rebuilding the coat all over again. My Mom thought she looked like she knew what she was doing, and there were several other hunt coats in her shop. She is retiring though, so you might want to head in there soon. The shop is closed on Wed, fyi.

Inge takes a long time to do any alterations. She did a beautiful job of restoring a vintage coat for a museum display this year. But, it has taken a very, very long time to get things that are of less interest done. Weddings always get priority.

I have heard great things about the tailor at the dry cleaners in Marshall. It is in the same shopping center as the Blooms, near the hamburger place. My DH had an elderly tricky leather/sweater jacket repaired there and it looks terrific. And that was fast, too.

JSwan had someone she likes, so I hope we hear from her.
    Intermediate Riding Skills