The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Training B: 15m circles

Can anyone give me any good sight points to make accurate 15m circles at X, as required in Training B? Mathematically, it seems the circle would be 2.5m away from each long side and 5m from the M/K line (whatever letter is the center there, G?)? Does that sound right?

And for the 15m canter circles from B and E, I think I stay 2.5m away from G and L(?, the K/F line) and 5m from the long side opposite?

I'm terrible at math and geometry and not great at visualization, so can someone tell me if I'm on the right path? I've watched several tests on YouTube, but the video angle makes it hard to tell what the points of the circles are.

Thanks!
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

You are correct that you take 2.5 m off each side of a 20 m circle. The quarter lines are 5 m from each long side (and 5 m from centerline), so if you are 15 m circling from B/E, your opposite end should hit the opposite quarter line.

Also, B/E are 14 m from the corner letters (K/M/F/H). So a 15 m circle at B should reach just a teeny bit over halfway to the corner letters on each side. A 15 m circle at X would reach 1 m (about 1 human step) beyond the corner letters at its far end and halfway between the quarterline and the longside on each side.

Hope that makes sense!

Thank you, wildlifer, that does help a lot! I had forgotten about the corner letters being 14m from the center letters, and that the quarterlines are 5m from the long sides. Now I've got some points to aim for.

I find it easier to think about the geometry rather than the actual numbers while I'm riding the test

For the 15m circles at X I aim for the points to be halfway between the quarter line and the rail on either side and for the circles at B/E I aim for the opposite quarter line.

I don't focus too much on the top/bottom points as those are much more difficult for the judge to view

Hope that helps!

Just hope the people in front of you were accurate and follow their tracks!
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthoria View Post
    Hahahahha, I have been guilty of this one too!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthoria View Post
    With my luck, I'd be first in my division to ride it!

Here's a fairly easy exercise to help develop your eye without needing the markers for reference (I find a lot of rider who try to ride circles using the markers get a lot of squares).

Place a cone (like those orange road cones) on the center line 7.5 either side of X. Starting at X, ride an even distance from the cone all the way around, either left or right. The more you work this, the more you will get a correct feel for the size and shape of the circle.

Ride a quarter of the circle at a time. As you are half way through each quarter, eyeball the next quarter. This keeps you looking up and glancing in toward to cone.

I always tell my student to "ride where you are at, but look where you are going." Have fun!