The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Disaster waiting to happen? Or is it just me?

17 Percherons, weanlings to 15 yrs, none of them broke (!), starting at $100, in real fire-sale style (think: EVERYTHING MUST GO!); the "good homes" thing seems almost like an afterthought....

I dunno, but I see an opportunity for quick turnover to the kill buyer by interested parties....

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/2561614090.html
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Well...who else is going to want a bunch of unhandled, unregistered draft animals, really?

If a "good home is a must", at least train them to wear a halter and be handled on the ground, sellers.

Gone Amish.....

but yeah, big horse in good flesh...for cheap, welcome to Canada....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I emailed the seller days ago. No reply.

I have no idea on what the whole story was. A scam? A crazy relative trying to sell off assets before an estate was settled? ?!

"older gentleman owned them and nobody wants to help anymore and have WAY TOO MANY NOW"

Don't you wish people understood that when a boy horse and a girl horse get together, they often make a baby horse that grows up?

Draft people, are percherons really as small as 15hh when grown? I always thought drafts were taller. They look cute though.

Have fun getting a non-halter broke draft horse on a trailer .....sigh. But they are handled every day!

drafts did not used to be tall. I think Anhauser Busch started the taller is better thing with his Clydes, outdoing the legendary tall Shires.
    But the average drafts of other breeds were not all that tall.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Percherons are also carriage breeds which don't tend to be uber tall, need the power for pulling, so a smaller compact horse (think morgan) will have an advantage over a rangier taller animal.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

How terrible for those horses.

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    I emailed the seller days ago. No reply.
    That does not bode well. I cross posted around and a lot of people are trying to do the same...
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    Draft people, are percherons really as small as 15hh when grown? I always thought drafts were taller. They look cute though.
    Some are. Generally the show hitch drafts are much taller and leggier (by draft standards), but the "farm chunk" strains can be pretty short and stumpy.

So sad
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I broke a 10 year old unregistered 18 hand pmu mare almost two years ago. It was actually pretty easy, she is our beginner rider horse now. She is just the best to ride without a saddle and a great trail horse. However people are terrified of her without even meeting her, I don't get it. She is big and black but super willing and a smooth ride. I wish I was done with school, my BF is a wannabe drafter. Our neighbor is always willing to break in a team, so I guess if it was a year later I would be the crazy that would want two.

This kind of senerio confirms to me that people were breeding for Slaughter in the USA.

Alagirl;5798660]
    Gone Amish.....
    I don't think the Amish I know would want them... unless they were something really special. They raise their own, handled, broke drafters.

Killer buyers don't like drafts...bones to big pushing the weight up (n price) w/ not enough meat vrs bone ratio....

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I don't think the Amish I know would want them... unless they were something really special. They raise their own, handled, broke drafters.
    Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Killer buyers don't like drafts...bones to big pushing the weight up (n price) w/ not enough meat vrs bone ratio....

either group knows which side of the bread the butter goes on.

You can get a healthy horse for cheap when you are looking for one, you'd be a fool to pass it up.