The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Handcuffs Used By Riding Instructor

My child takes HJ riding lessons at a local trainer. On several occasions, she has taped my child's nose to his helmet as punishment for looking down. Other times, she has handcuffed his hands together to keep them "quiet". My child is TEN! Are these common practices/tools used in hj lessons? Just looking for some feedback as we are new to this!

I am seriously hoping this is a troll.

If it's not, my sincere apologies, and NO, it is not standard or good! The handcuffs are downright dangerous!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Short answer - no. Run away.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Holy cow! I teach young riders and would never use such tactics! Sometimes I will put a neckstrap on and ask the rider to tuck their thumb in it to learn to keep hands quiet or soemthing like that, but first of all "punishment" is a bit crazy and second, handcuffing the hands together is DANGEROUS! I use a lot of exercises, both on the lungeline and off to help the riders to get a stronger leg, quieter hands and better balance etc.

Yes, these are common practices - when he is 11 the instructor will start using a paint ball gun on him.

And just in the one in a billion chance that this is not a troll - call your local police re the handcuffs - seriously.

Are *handcuffs* common tools used in H/J lessons?

No.

And if you can't figure this out without asking a message board you shouldn't be trusted to ride horses. Or drive a car. Or possibly breathe in and out on your own.

This has to be a troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Wow. I am not a troll. I merely posted this for feedback because we are...as I stated...new to horse lessons. I was not expecting to be personally attacked...@exjumper! Please try not to pass judgement. My child is not going to ride there any longer. Thank you!

wow if this really is for real the instructor must be a nut

WOW... I think you found one of the instructors that we all hope aren't out there.

Hopefully you can find another lesson barn in your area that will make riding safe and fun.

Before picking another barn, maybe ask if you can watch some lessons to see how they teach and what their lesson horses are like. This way you can make sure you don't end up in another bad situation. If the instructor is teaching beginners they need to be patient and be able to explain things and the horses need to be quiet and overall it needs to be safe and fun.

Not normal. Not normal at all.

I'm not sure how she taped his nose to child's helmet and the handcuff's are way off base. Not only would I run from this place but I might be tempted to notify some local authority of this "practice". How in the heck do other parents feel about this so-called trainer.

This is not common practice and quite frankly I'm not sure why many parents put up with borderline abusive treatment of their children in riding lessons (or any sport/activity for that matter). Stern is one thing, yelling and screaming to humiliate them is never good practice.

Ummmm.... no. Not only not "normal" but downright dangerous. Run, don't walk away rofm that barn. I have heard of some trainers doing stuff like that in this area, but they are the scary, dangerous ones.

I used to teach littles. I would jokingly "threaten" all sorts of fun things, ala "don't make me put thumb tacks on your saddle... 2 point means bum out of saddle" but dear lord I never would have done it, and my kids always just laughed and rolled their eyes.

Safe ways to still hands are riding crops tucked under the thumbs or hands tucked around a neck strap. Never ever (EVER) anything attached or attaching them to their horse. That is a recipe for disaster.

Run, we will!!

I'm not one to advocate tattling, but that is abusive and dangerous! Police need to be alerted!
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Um . . .

and you tolerated this ?

holy moly

child abuse

I'd be notifying some authorities on her.

Also, WHY did you let this happen ? I would have been calling 911, been all over that instructor and it would not have been nice.

How truly, truly sad. We are supposed to Protect children.

This is dangerous, abusive and not normal.

Don't take your kids back there, and please do report this instructor to Child Protective Services.

Quote Originally Posted by 4hoofprintsonmy<3 View Post
    Wow. I am not a troll. I merely posted this for feedback because we are...as I stated...new to horse lessons. I was not expecting to be personally attacked...@exjumper! Please try not to pass judgement. My child is not going to ride there any longer. Thank you!
    I don't know anything about gymnastics, either, but if my (hypothetical) kid's coach was handcuffing her to *anything* I would leave immediately. I wouldn't have to ask if it was inappropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Let's get some clarification before we go jumping to conclusions. For one, when you say handcuffs, are we talking legit metal handcuffs that lock?

I remember a toy back in the day, like early '90s, that was a stuffed monster that had plastic "handcuffs" that ripped apart. We did use those on the boys, they ripped apart very easily so it was a great little training tool and not at all dangerous.

I have read that Jimmy Williams (back in the 70s) used to handcuff advanced students to teach them to have more sympathetic hands. However, this practice seems to be completely out of place in this era and when used on a 10 year old. Eeek

Actually I'm surprised that it took 19 posts before someone remembered that Hall of Fame trainer Jimmy Williams used to handcuff his students. He claimed to have never had a rider injured because of the handcuffs. It kind of makes sense, but I'm not sure I'd do it to a ten year old.