The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I should introduce myself (and Skye)

I kind of jumped in with all systems go thanks to my desperate saddle search and needing as much info as I could get.

I wanted to formally introduce Skye, my 16 year old appaloosa mare who I got because she was not working out for the local therapy riding program. She hated having side walkers on either side of her, and had too much of an appy-tude to be ridden by anything less than a very determined rider. So, now she is mine! I have only had her 3 weeks. Been riding her almost every day due to my on going saddle search and constantly trialing something. Poor girl.

I have been riding dressage most of my life and plan to make Skye into my dressage horse (we have lots of work ahead). My ultimate goal is to reach second level.

I would also love to play around with BN eventing and maybe even some western speed stuff. Our favorite thing to do right now is trail ride, and nothing flaps her so doing one of those trail trials would be fun too.

Anyway, this is the pretty girl:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/P8070015.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...820_115546.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...820_115554.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/P8070004.jpg

She has a really neat leg marking:
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/P7310017.jpg

And I finally have a mare to swath in pink! I have always owned geldings and they have had to suffer through lots and lots of pink. Now I can get away with it without any guilt.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

She looks like a sweetheart. Welcome!
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Ahh, she is the perfect candidate for pink swathing, so you are definitely in luck there!

She's adorable, and she sounds perfect for doing lots of fun stuff like you have planned. I had an appy mare once and she was the most loyal, loving, versatile horse I could have hoped for! I think you'll enjoy yours as well.

Welcome to both of you!

Her leg markings are called "varnish", which I think is a perfect description and would look good all by themselves instead of, er, pink! Enjoy her.

She's lovely! You'll have to keep us updated on your dressage progress (and other fun things you guys do together!). It's so nice to have a great partner to team up with to tackle fun events!

Nice looking appy mare! Hope you and Skye have many happy miles together.

Thanks guys! Seems like we are butting heads a lot about her gate issue but hopefully once she figures out that I am not a push over that will resolve itself. Out on the trails she is wonderful.
    The Blog

Default I used to

I used to volunteer at a therapy program that had an Appy mare that looked very much like your Skye. She wasn't fond of side walkers either. If a side walker leaned into her side, she would bite the handler. I was usually the one handling but never blamed the mare. If a side walker put his/her elbow in my side, I'd snap to. I LOVED that mare and, if I'd had a farm back then I would have offered to retire her.

So, I already have a fondness for your mare. Good luck to both of you!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
    I used to volunteer at a therapy program that had an Appy mare that looked very much like your Skye. She wasn't fond of side walkers either. If a side walker leaned into her side, she would bite the handler. I was usually the one handling but never blamed the mare. If a side walker put his/her elbow in my side, I'd snap to. I LOVED that mare and, if I'd had a farm back then I would have offered to retire her.

So, I already have a fondness for your mare. Good luck to both of you!
    Funny, she has a bit of a nipping problem too and would nip who ever way leading her.
    The Blog