The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Confo Critque

So I was browsing the Finger Lakes listings and stumbled across this gal,

http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.proboard...play&thread=82

What do you ladies think of her conformation? I am in no spot to buy a horse of my own at this time in my life, but something about her really grabs me. Eventually I'll be in the position to buy my own, so any advice is helpful. I'd be interested in her for some local hunter stuff and to play around on/perhaps resell.
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Let the experts dissect her conformation, but her pedigree is absolutely wonderful.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Alright Viney, I know almost nothing about TB pedigrees, do you have a moment to educate me and tell me why? Thanks in advance!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Heh not to hijack but how goes it with Spinach?

Not the best photos for a confo critique because she is standing a little awkwardly with her front end under herself. But overall she's put together very nicely. Nice shoulder, nice hip, neck may be a little short (but hard to tell with the pics), standing a little cow hocked, but again, that may be the pic/pose).

not the best confo pics.. i see a short neck, cow hocked (may be the way she's standing), muddy shoulder, long in the fetlock. Nothing about her really jumps out at me. Seems to have quite a nice shoulder/hind end as far as jumping goes, but stands quite downhill - and with that short neck, she'd have a hard time engaging for any real flatwork.. but definitely not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by karlymacrae View Post
    not the best confo pics.. i see a short neck, cow hocked (may be the way she's standing), muddy shoulder, long in the fetlock. Nothing about her really jumps out at me. Seems to have quite a nice shoulder/hind end as far as jumping goes, but stands quite downhill - and with that short neck, she'd have a hard time engaging for any real flatwork.. but definitely not impossible.
    I think the downhill part that you are seeing is moreso in the first pic just because of how she is stood up. I don't think, based on the 2nd pic, that she is actually downhill.

Unfortunately I had a car accident that involves me needing a new car. Everyone was fine, except for my car. That being said I am not able to afford the lease on Spinach and also a new car payment. I am riding with the woman whom I've ridden on/off and worked for since I was 13, for free. I missed it so much and it's doing me a world of good.

Like I said, I'm in no position to purchase anything right now, but something about this mare I really like, and eventually I'll need all the conformation info I can get. Keep the suggestions coming!

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I'm pretty sure we followed different links.

What on earth is a muddy shoulder? And if a fetlock is long, you shave it....

I'm not crazy about her pasterns, but they look worse in the first picture where her hind legs are under her more. I like a nice slope on a short pastern, which means since I'm now doing dressage I prefer horses with less suspension than the current ideal most of the time.

I love her engine, love her shoulder. Her neck may be a little short for very tough hunters, but functionally I think it's plenty long. I'm guessing she would have a bit more knee action than you may want for hunters because of the length/angle of her humerus, but it also means she should have a freedom in her shoulders which allows her to get her knees up plenty.

I love this horse - and, with the caveat that it's just photos, and you have to judge based on what you're seeing in those split moments, the only thing I find at all questionable is her back. That amount of dip + legs under her *could* mean possible back issues. It doesn't mean it, it just could mean it - and certainly wouldn't stop me from going to look at her today if I lived nearby, especially at that price!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

She's cute! I too see a short neck, but I like her shoulder and her hindend. I think her pastern angles will greatly improve when her feet are straightened out.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I'm pretty sure we followed different links.

What on earth is a muddy shoulder? And if a fetlock is long, you shave it....
    Sorry *facepalm* I meant her pasterns. I don't think that it will improve that much.. you can change angle with shoeing, not bone length.

A muddy shoulder is a messy connection between neck and shoulder. It's not very defined.. I'm not sure how else to explain it.

A muddy shoulder is a messy connection between neck and shoulder. It's not very defined.. I'm not sure how else to explain it.
    That's a great term, and I think it describes this horse's shoulder very well. She's standing cow-hocked in both side shots, her pasterns are pretty long, and her neck is short and not very well set. I do like her hip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb