The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default They Will Never Understand!

A minor vent. Welcome to join, agree, or argue! I know it's been done before.

I'm getting rather tired of non-horsey folks' attitudes towards the amount of money spent on horses. I pay the bills, not you. That said:

YES, I pay more to board, feed, shoe and show them than I do in rent and utilities.

YES, 'all' I get for it is a stupid ribbon (if I'm lucky). Or even worse, if I'm not showing - all I do is ride around in circles (their words, not mine).

YES, the time I am required to spend to care for them equates to a second job (albeit a part time one). That's why I make that funny face when you ask 'so, what do you like to do for fun?' after I've already told you I have a young dog and two actively showing horses.

Folks, I've dreamed about horses as long as I can remember. I drew countless pictures of them, stared longingly at every horse in a roadside pasture and lived from one vacation trail ride to the next until I finally drove my Mom crazy enough to pay for some lessons. I have boxes full of plastic horses of every brand, size, color, and shape, and the fact that Barbie's legs don't bend that way didn't deter me from plopping her atop that steed.

No, horses aren't everything...but they sure are something.

It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. - TS Eliot
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Folks, I've dreamed about horses as long as I can remember. I drew countless pictures of them, stared longingly at every horse in a roadside pasture and lived from one vacation trail ride to the next until I finally drove my Mom crazy enough to pay for some lessons. I have boxes full of plastic horses of every brand, size, color, and shape, and the fact that Barbie's legs don't bend that way didn't deter me from plopping her atop that steed.
    I lived out my dream of owning horses and living on a horse farm and I still jump the shadows, fire hydrants, mail boxes, etc. along the road while driving. I wish my actual horse's lead changes were as good as my imaginary road grand prix horse's lead changes!

I'm gonna get in a wreck on day
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

It's hilarious. One of my non-horsey friends took me to task for buying my horse - my $1500 horse and the care he requires. I pointed out to her that she pays the equivalent or more her smart phone, cable, car payment, etc. She just gave me a look. Wouldn't you know it, in the same conversation she related to us a piece of art she spent $1500 on and more to frame it. I pointed this out and she said it was different because her art was an investment. Where's an eyeroll icon when you need one!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Where else can I get physical exercise, physical therapy, mental therapy, and a quiet space to work on my grants and papers, all at the same place and time? Can't do all that with a smart phone!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I went to the GYN doctor yesterday for my yearly check-up. The nurse who was doing the preliminary exam asked, among other things, if there had been any "social changes" in my life, meaning marriages, divorces, deaths, etc. I said that I'd had to have my horse put down in February.

Amazingly, she said she understood, and said that they had lost her daughter's horse because of colic not long ago. I almost cried with relief that somebody knew that it could be a big thing in your life for your horse to die. Sometimes empathy is there when you least expect it!

I have a friend who smokes. She is appalled at the amount of money I spend on horses. I pointed out that she spent about the same amount of money on cigarettes as I did on board. She rolled her eyes and said I didn't understand. Nope, I didn't, and I still don't. My hobby provides exercise, entertainment, crazy stories, and good friends, and I am happy to pay for it. Her hobby gives her cancer.

My brother is appalled at the money I spend on my horses. My brother, with the gym membership. And three kids. And two houses.
    I never rode a broke horse but then maybe I'm a sorry hand. - Ray Hunt

Chase the trouble. - Buck Brannaman

I understand completely. Horses are therapy. For we who are "Horse Crazy" anyway. The best thing there is for a person with PTSD is to go out on trail rides and have fun just going out in the woods for a long ride. Same goes for the horses with PTSD.
    Non-horse people will never understand because they do not want to. As mentioned above the cigarettes and clothes and perfumes and lots of "Lady Stuff" cost lots more than what our horses do.
    I went without much of what my husbands friends wives had because I wanted the horses in my life.
    I don't even try to explain it to the outsiders. Horse people fully understand.
    When we had to put down our Polish Arab it broke our hearts. My non-horse friends said "It was just a horse". No it was not just a horse. He was our friend.
    No they will never understand. Horses are good for people. That is what counts.
    JMHO
    sadlmakr

Yup. Goes for dog owners too, for that matter.

I came up with these a few months ago when thinking along those lines...

http://www.zazzle.com/owning_a_horse...69727029590657

http://www.zazzle.com/if_i_wasnt_spe...69727029590657

...and yeah, okay, this one too:

http://www.zazzle.com/bling_vs_horse...69727029590657

Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pacifiers, Onesies, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Arabians, Thoroughbreds, Barrel Racing, & Schnauzers

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Amen Heinz! Add the injuries we incur with horses and people really get on your case! If I'd done any of my various injuries (blown disc, torn ACL, broken collar bone, most recent arm/shoulder/ribs) doing any "acceptable" sport like skiing or cycling then no one would tell me to stop that dumb hobby.

I've rolled my eyes at co-workers who do kid-related things from vacations to sick days and bitch about the cost, but god forbid I should whinge slightly about the money I had to spend on a vet bill, or how much the last show cost! Those expenses or time spent is just silly business.

I don't own a smart phone, I use a bunny-eared TV, we don't vacation, we live in 35 year old house and the bathroom is all original--blue fixtures and all. My friends can't understand why we don't remodel and take a vacay every now and again. Why not? I own horses. I vacay at shows and love making my barn look amazing--cause that's what really matters to me
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Sometimes I feel guilty about what I spend on my horse habit...especially when I consider those starving in Somalia or still barely existing in Haiti. But my kids have healthy college funds and I make sure my bills are paid so I figure if I'm going to spend more than 40 hours a week earning a paycheck some of it might as well go towards something that makes me happy.

Besides, there are tons of hobbies that are more time and money consuming. Golf, racing cars. Well, maybe not tons but there are a few.

Quote Originally Posted by meaty ogre View Post
    Besides, there are tons of hobbies that are more time and money consuming. Golf, racing cars. Well, maybe not tons but there are a few.
    And when was the last time a golf ball snuffled your hair,or your race car nickered at you when you put gas in it?

Sadly, some people just don't get it, will never get it, so I don't waste my time anymore trying to explain it.
    Stallions are from Mars.
    Mares are from Venus.
    Ponies are from Hell!

I so understand! I spend quiet a chunk on the boys every month but they are my main source of entertainment! LOL I LIKE giving them baths, rasping their hooves and studying barefoot trimming!!! I LIKE searching for a new place to ride and the JOY of ordering a custom saddle - I guess some could equate it to buying Louis Vitton shoes or a Coach purse of which I own NEITHER.

I do have a G4 phone but it is a business expense, we don't go on vacations...the only vacation I want to go on is one where I can take my horse!

I am not a shopper unless it is horsey stuff, I don't have my nails and pedi's done. My hair I let go until I look like Madam Mem on Disney's Sword and the Stone. My Rav is nearly 5 years old and I don't think I will be trading it in any time soon. I don't need anymore doodads...I have a ton of them. But I would like an LQ trailer if the Horsey Fairy is listening!
    Logging Miles with the Biscuit 530.5 Miles for 2011 visit my trail riding blog at www.dashingbigred.blogspot.com

My sisters-who grew up with the horses and have moved to lesser houses because of better barns as kids-say the same things!! No, we don't have the money they do,and yes, due to circumstances beyond our control money is way tight right now, but my girls don't do sports like theirs do/did. One sister had a dd that did competitive dance and cheerleading, the other does lacrosse and swim team. THe other sister had boys that played baseball, football, and basketball. Spend 200 on a bat and then fuss at me because I spend money monthly on the horses for my kids to enjoy?
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

The non-horsey people in my life have no clue how much horse things cost or how much I spend.

Life is much easier that way
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

RockinHorse, I was just going to say the same thing. Why would you even try to explain the benefit, let alone the cost, of horses? It's nobody's business but mine. People ask me all the time, but I never give them a straight answer. Just because they ask doesn't mean it's any of their concern.

It's even worse when you make the choice to go pro. I keep waiting for my father to send the men in white coats to save me from myself. Little does he know, I already work at the 'funny farm'.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

When I was at work one day years ago one person asked me about the expenses of owning a horse as they were thinking about getting one. After I explained about board, shoeing, vet, equipment, etc. etc. etc, she was amazed. Said it was like a mortgage on a summer home! To be honest, it was probably more if you considered showing!

But like you say, Heinz 57, "I pay the bills". It's my money and I'll do with it as I please.

BTW, I had a horse that when people asked what breed he was, I said a Heinz 57!
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Hubby made the comment "just think of all the money you would have every month if you didnt have horses?" in which I reminded him, it would be worthless if I didnt have them to make going to work every day worth it. I mean, honestly, what DO people do when they go home from work every day? If I didnt have my horses to care for, man Id be super bored! And no, I dont have kids.

But hubby is very understanding and supportive and though he doesnt "get it" truly, he does "get" that theres no changing it.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I must be super lucky, I've really never had anyone question my devotion to my horses...In fact, I usually get some variation of the sentiment that they wish they had something they were as passionate about as I am about my horses/riding.

Then again, they probably just know it's a little late to be questioning someone's level of devotion once they've gone so far as to run off to Kentucky and study horses in college. lol