The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone used Canto (Canturo/Limbus)?

Starting to shop for frozen for next year, and I was wondering if anyone here has used the Holsteiner stallion Canto? Would love to hear about semen quality and what type of mare you feel fits him (or should not be used with him).

TIA!
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

I have seen Canto in person, and he is a beautiful stallion moderately sized stallion. I have also seen some beautiful sons and daughters. I have heard that he does best with good minded mares that are larger with lots of leg. I understand he can breed with a little bit of the Limbus fire and size. I hope that helps.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

Quote Originally Posted by RyTimMick View Post
    I have seen Canto in person, and he is a beautiful stallion moderately sized stallion. I have also seen some beautiful sons and daughters. I have heard that he does best with good minded mares that are larger with lots of leg. I understand he can breed with a little bit of the Limbus fire and size. I hope that helps.

Tim
    Thank you; that is very helpful!
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Canto has been a top producer since he was approved. He led the rankings for premium foals and had several of the best daughters on the elite mare show. He also sired the champion stallion in Nuemunster , Cantoblanco.

Most are not old enough yet to be evaluated as riding horses so school is still out........

Default Canto's in California

I bred a couple of Canto's using the frozen semen from Karen Reid. Both are/were (one is sold) very good jumpers (scope and technique), clever, athletic -no OCD's. They are maybe a little fiesty so don't expect a hunter but on a good mare he throws great. Both my mares had "blood" and both youngsters (the oldest is three) are plenty tall.
    Kc Branscomb Kelley
    Branscomb Farm
    http://www.branscombfarm.com

Default I have one :)

Quote Originally Posted by kcbk View Post
    I bred a couple of Canto's using the frozen semen from Karen Reid. Both are/were (one is sold) very good jumpers (scope and technique), clever, athletic -no OCD's. They are maybe a little fiesty so don't expect a hunter but on a good mare he throws great. Both my mares had "blood" and both youngsters (the oldest is three) are plenty tall.
    I have a canto gelding. And firey indeed! Haha he's special, but couldn't be happier! Ill post pictures this coming summer of his first show season. He's 16.2hh already and just turned 4.

The oldest offspring here in Germany are now 7. Some of them are competing at 1.40 level, the outdoor season just started here, so it will be interesting to see how they develop.
    Where I work we have a 7 year old Canto x Aloube Z x Königspark xx mare, yes she is special. But she really wants to work for the rider and has a lot of scope and a good technique.
    Also the reserve champion from last year from the Holsteiner approvals comes from a Canto mother. (Carantas by Carabas)