The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default IHSA Alumni Riding?

Just trying to understand how it works. If I rode in IHSA while at school, I can enter in shows as an Alumni Rider? Has anyone on COTH done that and how do you go about doing it? Register for an alum and sign up for shows? Do you receive a schedule and/or are there certain shows you can go to if they weren't in your region or zone? For Example, in school I was in z2,r2, but where I live, there are probably quite a bit of shows held in r3 (I think that's the correct one!), do I go to certain ones or as any as I can attend?

Would love to be involved in it and have a chance at doing at least a little bit more shows and think it would be pretty cool. Any information on it would be extremely helpful!

If memory serves, you need to have ridden in undergraduate at least at the Novice level in order to compete as an Alumni. You certainly don't need to show in the same region/zone as you did when you were in school, although I actually was still in undergraduate and rode as an alumni with my school, because I had already finished up 4 years of eligibility (I transferred schools and lost a bunch of credits, so I had to do the 5 year thing). I then rode Alumni again after finishing grad school.

This should hopefully get you started:

http://www.ihsainc.com/Membership/alumni.aspx

Start with ihsainc.com and navigate to membership > alumni membership. The first thing I would start with is contacting the alumni representative for the region you are interested in showing in. There is also a link online for you to complete the alumni membership. I ride in Z3R4 and gave my membership form and dues to my alumni rep at the first show. I also pay my entry fees on my own. Your alumni rep will be able to direct you on how to handle membership in the region you decide to show in.

You do not have to show alumni in the same region as you did your undergrad, but you do have to pick a region and stick with it for the year (so you cannot flip flop between regions because of schedule conflicts or distance to drive to shows, etc).

Your alumni rep should provide you with the schedule for the semester. In our region she also sends us the prizelist for the day so we know when to show up. We also host/co host shows with another college at least once a year.

Lastly, you might want to check out campusequestrian.com. Steve has started to post the fall schedules for schools which may help you determine what might be closer to you. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. I have a lot of fun with the alumni group in my region...I wish you luck!

You will need to contact a college near you and speak to their equestrian team to get on the alumni list. You need to have enough riders to get your points in so you'll have to coordinate with other people who also have busy lives.

It works best if you want to hang out with your alumni friends but already have your own trainer/lessons on the side. You can also ride with the local college team in their lessons. Since you'll be driving long distances and standing in the cold to get the luck of the draw which is either the last of the day dead tired horse or the "we'll put the alumni riders on him first" horse you do it for the social aspect more then anything else.

I didn't read the responses above in detail, but hopefully they help. Here is the process for showing IHSA as an alumni:

1) you need to have showed at at least 1 undergrad IHSA show as a registered IHSA rider (sounds like you have that covered)
    2) contact the Regional President for the IHSA region you now live in (doesn't need to be the same as where you were an undergrad) - list here:
    http://www.ihsainc.com/ContactUs/BoardMemberList.aspx
    3) get the "scoop" on alumni options in that region (not all regions host Alumni classes a the IHSA shows)

assuming Alumni classes ARE held...
    4) complete the Alumni paperwork and submit your membership payment (Regional President will tell you who to talk to/send paperwork to)
    5) get on the contact list for the region, so you can all the info on shows
    6) enter for shows in the Alumni classes
    7) show!
    8) show!
    9) show!
    10) possibly qualify for Regionals, Zones, and Nationals!

In our local region, alumni need to commit at the beginning of the season (aka NOW) to show in at least 4(?) shows for the season. There have to be at least 3 riders per alumni class, so that's the only way we can ensure there will be enough riders. If there aren't enough Alums committed when we start the season, we do not hold alumni classes at all.

You can show in ANY region (but have to commit to the same region for the year), so if your local region doesn't host alumni classes - consider driving over to the next-closest region (if it's isn't too far away..........)

Riding alumni can be super-fun! I did so for about 2-3 years after college, and one year was in the Top 10 Alumni at Nationals. Very fun! However, every region is different, so see what's happening locally before you commit... Some regions have very active alums (esp if they have 5th-year undergrads or folks tend to stay locally after graduating); others don't have enough alums to hold the classes.

Worst case, you can always offer to be a warm-up rider at the shows & steward! Gets you more saddle time, and it's FREE.

P.S. There's more info on Alumni Membership for IHSA here:
    http://www.ihsainc.com/Membership/alumni.aspx

A few things:
    - You can have shown at ANY level and compete as an Alumni.
    - You can ride in any region/zone you want, usually depending on where you live currently.
    - There are a list of Alumni reps on IHSAInc.com - contact the one in the region you prefer to ride and they will get you a schedule, contacts, etc.
    Last edited by JASecond; Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JASecond View Post
    A few things:
    - You can have shown at ANY level and compete as an Alumni.
    You do need to have shown at least Novice o/f, if you want to jump as an alum. For flat, you must have shown beginner wtc.

If someone just did one or two shows as an undergrad, and only showed beginner wt, they cannot show alum.

Contacting your regional rep is the easiest way to get started. They will walk you through the process.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

There is a lot of good advice on here but it varies from zone to zone, region to region. Here's what I would do (I've ridden alumni for years and was the Alumni Rep for our region for years as well)
    *I would look up the Alumni Rep for your region (you will have to pick one, doesn't have to be the one that you rode in as an undergrad) either on ihsainc.com or find Steve Maxwell/Campus Equestrian on Facebook.
    *Email your Alumni Rep and let that person know you are interested. They will fill you in on how it works in their region. In this region, I would email everyone who was interested the prize list, get responses as to who wanted to ride, and then email that to the captains. Riders would arrive prior to the start of their classes.
    *It may help to find/ride with a barn that has a college riding out of it...not a requirement but it adds to the fun of it as you will know the riders and have a coach who knows the horses, etc.
    *You need to have shown in one class as an undergrad to be eligible. Here is what the rulebook says in regard to level of riding:
    Class 9 Alumni Equitation on the Flat.
    Open to alumni who would not be eligible for Class 1. Riders start with 0 points each year. Here is Class 1 eligibility: Class 1 Walk-Trot Equitation
    Open to beginners as described in 8102 A.1. Walk-Trot riders have two years of eligibility starting with their initial completion of the online individual membership form or until 36 points are accumulated in the Class, whichever comes first. Riders are not eligible for IHSA Class 2A or 12A or above. Riders to be judged at the walk and trot both ways of the ring. Diagonals will count. Tests 1 – 4, 9 may be asked.

Class 10 Alumni Equitation over Fences.
    Open to eligible alumni with a degree of skill equivalent to at least Class 4 and either 1) showed in IHSA Over Fences classes as an undergraduate, or 2) have had 6 months of continuous professional training over fences within the past 12 months. To be shown over six or more fences at least 2' 3" in height and not to exceed 2' 9", fence width not to exceed height, and including at least one change of direction. Tests 1-6, 9, and 12&13 may be asked.

Hope this helps, contact your Rep...they will let you know more about your Zone/Region. Good luck, have fun!
    Friend of Bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish View Post
    You do need to have shown at least Novice o/f, if you want to jump as an alum. For flat, you must have shown beginner wtc.

If someone just did one or two shows as an undergrad, and only showed beginner wt, they cannot show alum.

Contacting your regional rep is the easiest way to get started. They will walk you through the process.
    I'm not sure it's entirely that clear cut. As you said, contacting the regional rep is the best way to get started as rules seem to vary by zone and region.

I believe that you can be "observed" by your region or zone if you did not show at a certain level in undergrad but wish to compete in Alumni. For example, if you've had consecutive instruction with a trainer over fences for x period of time, you can re-test and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish View Post

I can tell you this is false. You do not have to have competed at any level as an undergrad. You must be competent at that level NOW. From the IHSA rule book:

Open to alumni who would not be eligible for Class 1. Riders start with 0 points each year.

Open to eligible alumni with a degree of skill equivalent to at least Class 4 and either 1) showed in IHSA Over Fences classes as an undergraduate, or 2) have had 6 months of continuous professional training over fences within the past 12 months. To be shown over six or more fences at least 2' 3" in height and not to exceed 2' 9", fence width not to exceed height, and including at least one change of direction. Tests 1-6, 9, and 12&13 may be asked.
    Last edited by JASecond; Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM.

Does anyone ride (or know someone who does) on the George Washington team? Do they have any alumni riders that compete?

I went to grad school at GW but rode IHSA undergrad somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    Does anyone ride (or know someone who does) on the George Washington team? Do they have any alumni riders that compete?

I went to grad school at GW but rode IHSA undergrad somewhere else.
    I've served as the Alumni Rep for Zone 4 Region 1 (where GW competes) for several years. I'm familiar with several riders on the team and their coach. Remember that you don't have to attended a school in Zone 4 Region 1 to compete as an alumni in Zone 4 Region 1. You can compete as an alumni in any Region that has agreed to offer alumni classes for the year.

If you want to ride in Zone 4 Region 1 as an alumni email z4r1.ihsa.alumni@gmail.com to get more info. Or you can PM me. Our shows are hosted as far north as Goucher and as far south as William & Mary.

From the IHSA site:

Who Can Ride Alumni?
    Anyone who rode on an IHSA riding team as an undergraduate may complete in the Alumni Division. Graduate students may also compete as Alumni if they rode on an IHSA riding team as an undergraduate.

Where Can I Ride Alumni?
    You can ride representing your undergraduate college in any Region in the country where Alumni classes are offered.

From the IHSA 2011-2012 Rulebook:

1503 Individual Alumni Members
    A. Membership in the IHSA Alumni Association shall be open to any individual that has ridden as an undergraduate in the IHSA and no longer meets the requirements to participate as an undergraduate. Once a rider has competed in an Alumni class they forfeit any remaining undergraduate eligibility, thus only able to compete in the Alumni Division from that time forward.

Im considering riding as an Alumni for either Zone 4 Region 1 or Region 2. Can anyone tell me which one would be better for me? In region 2 there are only three teams, but it's closer. Any help?

Technically - you don't have to have ever ridden with the IHSA to compete as an alumni. See loop hole from rulebook below:

"Life Associate Member shall be eligible to compete either as an undergraduate or as an alumni, as may be appropriate and permitted under these rules, and shall pay one-time contribution of $500."

But in order to be a Life Associate Member, do you have to have competed IHSA as an undergrad?

DeucesWild: I'm not sure what you mean by '3 teams'.. according to campus equestrian there wasn't any alumni in zone 4 region 2 last year.. region 1 held alumni classes though, and I think region 4 does too.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyChickens View Post
    DeucesWild: I'm not sure what you mean by '3 teams'.. according to campus equestrian there wasn't any alumni in zone 4 region 2 last year.. region 1 held alumni classes though, and I think region 4 does too.
    I was looking at the IHSA website... if there are no alumni in region 2 then looks like I will be in region 1!

Quote Originally Posted by JASecond View Post
    As an alumni rep, I can tell you this is false. You do not have to have competed at any level as an undergrad. You must be competent at that level NOW. From the IHSA rule book:

Open to alumni who would not be eligible for Class 1. Riders start with 0 points each year.

My bad.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

TooManyCHickens:

Per the rule book, anyone can become an associate member.

1700 Associate Memberships

1701 Any person, whether a college student or not, may become an Associate Member of the IHSA, Inc. upon payment of the appropriate associate membership contribution.

1702 A person interested in becoming an Associate Member must apply for membership on the appropriate IHSA, Inc. associate membership form.

1703 There shall be three types of associate members:
    A. Regular Associate Member shall not be eligible to compete and shall pay yearly contribution of $15.
    B. Sustaining Associate Member shall not be eligible to compete and shall pay yearly contribution of $50.
    C. Life Associate Member shall be eligible to compete either as an undergraduate or as an alumni, as may be appropriate and permitted under these rules, and shall pay one-time contribution of $500. The person who becomes a Life Associate Member as an undergraduate shall not have to pay additional membership contribution.

1704 The appropriate form and the dues for Associate Members shall be submitted to the Alumni/Associate Member Director.
    1800 Affiliated