The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to find a good farrier

I have watched issues go on at my stable with a lot of leg pain and lameness lately. Stiffness in all 3 of my horses. Sold one of my horses that had confirmation issues and left front leg issues but as soon as he had a new farrier was no longer favoring the leg that was compromised by conformation. I have a 13 year old POA that has been stiff and considering Cosequin. Bought a National Show Horse this month and has been tripping since our farrier has put on new shoes. How do I get educated on correct cutting and shoeing of my horses?

congratulations on seeing the first step: Determining what makes a good farrier!

then from that, extrapolating on what makes a good trim and ongoing care whether that means barefoot or shoes or something else ....

my recommendation is general at best but my personal approach has been to educate myself so that I can make good decisions about how my horse's feet are cared for and by whom.

education also helps you to know where your knowledge stops and when you need to count on the opinion and advice of your chosen professional.

it's really hard, it has taken me a long time to get where I am with it and sadly it didn't happen without making mistakes along the way (in both areas.)

GOOD LUCK!!!

(if you are interested in some links and materials I have found helpful, please PM me.)

http://www.amazon.com/Hoof-Care-Hors...4134224&sr=8-1

A nice little booklet that provides a surprising amount of information.

Hi Buster, you should post this same question under Horse Care , you'll get more responses, many many more, more than you want.

yes, true. but be careful what you wish for, advice wise!

http://www.hopeforsoundness.com/

Is a good site to learn from. It also has a list of farriers under the support tab.

IMO, the majority of farriers use a typical long toe, low heel sort of trimming/shoeing style. This can cause a variety of problems for your horse including navicular syndrome and arthritis. Just my opinion. I'm fortunate to have found a good farrier for my horses. Several of my endurance riding buddies have switched to him also on my advice and have been very happy. You should learn all you can about balanced trimming and shoeing and know what to look for. I've had luck getting past farriers to try new to them ideas, but they were all younger farriers who still had open enough minds to consider trying something different.

Bonnie

Have you thought about getting your vet involved? They usually have a short list of reputable farriers.