The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kind of a cool way to memorialize a lost friend...

If you opt for cremation after putting a pet down, these lovely individuals have come up with a way to print a keepsake memorial of your loved one with their ashes.

PS. Please don't judge me for posting this if you think it's morbid! I think it's a beautiful way to remember those you've lost, and I'm honestly considering it now for when my two go...better than keeping a random pile of their ashes somewhere, imo...

Eww.

That being said, I think cremation and then keeping the ashes is weird. My pets are all buried and then have some sort of plant planted over them (my property is becoming very nicely landscaped! ). My SO's family is planning to cremate their older Golden, but then her ashes will be spread around her favorite area at the nature preserve to play in. I myself would like to be cremated, and then spread...most of my family feels similarly.

Just hanging onto a container of ashes doesn't float my boat.

Although, if I had the money, I think those diamonds that they make out of ashes are absolutely insane and would love to have one made from my heart horse. (When he dies far far far FAR off in the future, knock on wood!)

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Eww.

That being said, I think cremation and then keeping the ashes is weird. My pets are all buried and then have some sort of plant planted over them (my property is becoming very nicely landscaped! ).
    I agree, and all my little ones (guinea pigs, cats, etc.) are in a corner of my grandma's yard, but I can't bury the horses, we don't have any kind of property that would allow it. I know you can do those bracelets made out of their tail and I'd probably do that, too, but I still thought this was kind of a neat idea (maybe not something to put out on public display if other's feel the way you do! lol).

my heart dog is in my closet down the hall in an urn only because I rent, so no yard that is mine, we moved a lot in the 10 yrs we were together and I have not found the "perfect" spot yet. I will. It needs to be a place that was special to us and I have not been back to the doggie beach since he was PTS, which is where I think I will spread his ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    my heart dog is in my closet down the hall in an urn only because I rent, so no yard that is mine, we moved a lot in the 10 yrs we were together and I have not found the "perfect" spot yet.
    Same here. The plan was to bury my dog but since we are still renting, we didnt want to bury her so she was cremated. Im glad I had her cremated because I had one of those cremation diamonds made and its just beautiful!!

The drawing with the ashes is kinda creepy. When I had to send some of her ashes to be made for the diamond, I had to have my SO measure out the right amount because I couldnt do it.

I don't necessarily think it is morbid but do think it is ugly. Definitely not something I would want in my house.