The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainer recommendations in WNY

Looking for someone to start my mare, probably put about 90 days on her. I know the usual suspects but am wondering if there is anyone else hiding out there in WNY. Buffalo preferred, but would do Rochester for the right person.

Mare is 4, had some driving training, but not done much the last year. Intended for lower level dressage and lots of trail riding. She is a nice blank slate, no baggage, has a stellar disposition... and I would like to preserve that!!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Can't give any info, but this is so exciting! Can't wait to hear and see more about Ms. Bella. :-)
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Aww thanks Lori! She has been a total rockstar this past week. She seems to take everything in stride. Has a very sweet, kind, honest disposition. Last night we did a little longing and ground driving with a surcingle and she was super.

I think getting her going will be a total non-issue, but I want it done right and while I'm sure I could muddle through, I'm not sure I'd do her justice.

She sounds like the kind of mare that anyone would love to have in their training barn. Hope you find someone good!
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Working a Showmanship pattern somewhere in the great Northeast...

I have a pony with Jeff Steer right now...very, very happy with the progress that she is making in the short time that she has been there.
    The best little horse show series around! www.WinningWeekends.com

I don't mean to be a smart@ss, Flash, but she's a Morgan. She's already read the book, and if you've got good groundwork going, she's going to be marching to the mounting block and turning around waiting for you before you know it!
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Roux View Post
    I don't mean to be a smart@ss, Flash, but she's a Morgan. She's already read the book, and if you've got good groundwork going, she's going to be marching to the mounting block and turning around waiting for you before you know it!
    Ha BR.... I was actually reading your blog today, and thinking... I could probably do this.... not because I am any great trainer, only because my horse is clearly a smarty pants who has picked things up faster than most!! She's already like Ok Lady I Got This...

All kidding aside, if she's in an environment where she's seeing riding and training going on all the time, she's going to pick it up. Absolutely true story-- Sonny just stopped longeing one day, went to the mounting block, stood there and looked at Pat with a face that said, "Come on. I know what's next."

One day, after the ground work, you just get on a Morgan, and they teach you how to ride.

But good trainers are worth their weight in gold, so, you know, work with one.
    Foxwin Farm

Congratulations! I must have missed that you got a new horse. Glad to hear it. From previous posts on this thread it sounds like she's a Morgan.

Ok, I've worked with and seen Carol Kozlowski start youngsters and do really well with them. As a matter of fact, a few yrs back she had a cute Morgan gelding that she broke and took him to Preliminary level eventing. She will tell you he might have LOOKED cute but he was a pistol when she got him. He had just been cut and was extremely obnoxious to say the least. But Lenny looked like a small warmblood and he did a good job beating horses quite a bit bigger than he was.

Needless to say, Carol Kozlowski in Avon is my very, very strong recommendation.

Now, if you still have my email let me know more about your new girl or send me to the thread about her.

If you want contact information on Carol K, PM me.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Thanks Sue! I've posted about her on the Morgan thread, but not really talked about her much otherwise. She just came last week, ironically, from a breeder in Avon! I will shoot you a PM.

I agree on the mini Warmblood thing! I looked at several of this breeder's horses and they were real sporthorse types. I like a forward, bold ride but with a sensible brain... why I like TBs I guess... but figured the Morgan might be a hardier package this time around! Also hoping she will be suitable for my kids 4-5 years down the line.

BR I really am amazed at how smart she is.... a really interesting personality, if they are all liked this, I am hooked for life! My biggest concern is that she has such super retention, I suspect any mistakes my be hard to undo!!

Flash, I found the thread and the pictures you have posted about her. She is beautiful to say the least. That tail is something else. I do not envy you keeping it looking that great all the time.

I've actually had 2 Morgans at my farm. One was a companion for a previous horse and the other was the ONLY paying boarder I took in. To say Morgans are air ferns is an understatement!

The companion was a bit of a grumpy old man and he had every reason to be. Poor guy deserved retirement. From what I understood the girl that bought him knew he wasn't sound but still proceeded to ride about 3-5 days/wk anyway.

The paying boarder was one of the sweetest guys. A true lover.

I'll have to come here more often and follow your tales with your new lady.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Ha ha ha. I think we posted at the same time.

Will check PM's later. America's got talent is on and it's the ONLY show I'm watching all summer.
    Sue

I second Carol Kozlowski. She's started 3 for me and they've all gone on to be polite, obedient and successful in their careers and they all have very different personalities. Feel free to PM if you'd like more info...luv Carol, you won't find anyone better.

Oh a most definite third for Carol. My WNY geography is all messed up, or I would have mentioned her in the first place. Class and talent all the way, and she likes the little guys-- Connemaras & Morgans have a lot in common!
    Foxwin Farm

Thanks guys!

Sent you a pm!

Flash, you must let us know when you decide and whom you've decided on as a trainer for your lnew lovely lady!
    Sue

Have you looked into Leanne Haley-Brown in Wilson, glennleafarm.com i believe.
    Don't squat with yer spurs on

Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boy

Quote Originally Posted by Cruisesmom View Post
    Have you looked into Leanne Haley-Brown in Wilson, glennleafarm.com i believe.
    Wow, had never heard of them but looks like they are running quite the program.

MSJ I will keep you posted!! Thank you for the PM, if the wee on ever chooses to sleep tonight I shall write you back my friend!