The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Previcox

Is it really easier on their digestive system?

My vet has mine on a half tablet for a month.... He had a little digestive upset last night. (Acted gassy)

Is there anything I can give him in combination with Previcox to ease any digestive upset?

How big a tablet? They come in diff. sizes. If that's the 227mg (? Sorry, can't remember if that's the precise size and I'm in the office, not the barn ) that's a biggish dose--I use a quarter tab of that size, which is an equivalent amount of Firocoxib to one tube of Equioxx.

Yes, I believe it is "kinder" on the digestive system, but it certainly isn't without any digestive side effects at all.

I give omeprazole if I'm using it on my sensitive little flower, but you might be able to get away with something less major, like Tums.

Xtra Strength Gas-X. If it's not gas it won't hurt at all.

My guy has been on Previcox for quite a while for "sore feet," although he doesn't get it every day now, since he seems to be fine. It's more of a preventative. I got the big bottle of the 227 mg. pills that you split into 4 pieces. It is amazing that such a little tiny pill works so well. I found the best price at Valley Vet with free shipping. My vet phoned the presciption in.

My mare is on 57 mg/day. The dosage for a horse is much less than for a dog! I must admit that she has had the best summer in years. Only one week of a gimpy walk when the ground was very very hard and dry. Otherwise, my daughter has been able to ride her (w/t/c) on hacks on a weekly basis. I also see such a difference in the 25 yo QH mare who, last summer could not move very well. This year, after a pretty good winter as well, she comes trotting up to us every time we go in the field... carrot for me?
    I have not noticed any side effect and my mare has been on a daily dose since October last year.

I do have one horse (very ancient, very wiley little QH who could use the help) who absolutely refuses to eat the stuff. He can detect it hidden in a peppermint, a jam sandwich, a hollowed out apple or carrot...

If you try and sneak it into his sloppy grain he'll eat all round it and leave this tiny quarter pill very neatly in the middle of his feed bowl.

This horse will happily snarf down dinner with bute in it.

I have my 23 yr old gelding on it. I buy the large tablet and split it in 4 pieces - he has been on it for over a year, not a problem. My vet said it works in the intestine not the stomach so it is easier on the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    How big a tablet? They come in diff. sizes. If that's the 227mg (? Sorry, can't remember if that's the precise size and I'm in the office, not the barn ) that's a biggish dose--I use a quarter tab of that size, which is an equivalent amount of Firocoxib to one tube of Equioxx
    He was on a full 227 mg tab for 3 days and now a half tab for the remaining 27 days. Maybe I'll cut it down to 1/4 and see how he does.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I might have the vet come out and pull blood for a creatinine level, that seems like an awfully big dose, I'd worry about kidney failure.

Yep, the recommended dosage is 57mg every 36 hours. 227 mg daily is about 5x the recommended dose.

Not sure if your horse would allow you to skip a few days, but might be a good idea especially if he's showing any GI signs.

Give your vet a call as well, they may be able to explain why they have decided to dose so high.

My mare has been on 57mg (1/4 of the large tablet) for 2-3 weeks now, and she's been fine. My vet did say that some of her clients were using up to 1/2 a pill a day on horses where there were few options left (severe navicular, etc). But I'm not really comfortable with that, and my mare doesn't need it, so 1/4 pill it is. I would NOT give a whole pill a day, and at this point (if I were you) I would probably take yours off of it for a few days to let it get out of his system, then restart at 1/4 pill.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

We tried cutting back to a pill (57 mg) every other day, but she started limping again. Back to one pill a day and she is fine!

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    We tried cutting back to a pill (57 mg) every other day, but she started limping again. Back to one pill a day and she is fine!
    I'm sure her liver and kidneys would beg to differ.

I am alarmed that the dose was so high! I didn't think to question it as I was at an Equine Hospital. The vet acted like 1/2 pill was standard dosing.....

He is off of it for now. I will start back up with 1/4 pill in a couple days.

I did bring him in to my regular vet today to have him checked out. He was a little dehydrated so they gave him fluids but other then that he is fine.( yay scorching hot Texas summer)

Thanks again for your wealth of information!! I truely appreciated it!!!

My horse was on 1/2 tab of the 227 mg pill for almost 2 years for generalized arthritis and neck and hock issues. It helped him tremendously and vet was absolutely fine and not worried having him on that dose - and prescribed this dose somewhat frequently. Never had kidney issues and we did test his blood once during treatment and once he was off the Previcox. However I did take him off of it this spring gradually since he was doing so much better AND unfortunately was showing signs of ulcers. Ended up scoping and he did have ulcers and needed a 30 day treatment of Gguard. He is fine now, still off the Previcox and only on hock injections about every 9 months.

While it helped him amazingly, and I also believe it may have reduced inflammation in his trouble areas...and it extended his hock injections by about 3 months each cycle, I do believe it MAY have contributed to his ulcer situation. While it is BETTER than bute on the belly, it is not without risk. I hope I can keep him off of it, but would not hesitate to put him back on a 1/4 pill dose to start if necessary as it did work really well. He is 20+ in age and doing well in dressage, trail and low jumping without it....so fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony View Post
    I'm sure her liver and kidneys would beg to differ.

Blood work is totally normal. She is a big horse, not a little pony!