The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default On the hunt for a dressage saddle

On a suggestion of another member I decided to make this thread...

This is my mare Skye, who for all intents is built like a bulldog. I have been searching for three weeks now for a dressage saddle to fit her and so far have come up empty. She is very clear when she hates or likes a saddle. I found one saddle that she loved, the toulouse verona, but that my femor did not love.

Here is skye:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/P7290001.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/P7290002.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/P7290003.jpg

I have only owned two dressage saddles, a thoroughbred saddlery brand and a campbell. Both were made more with a thoroughbred in mind so I doubt either would be an option for Skye. Otherwise I have always just done my dressage tests in a CC saddle. :nod:

Here is a picture of me in the toulouse verona:
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...812_094821.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...812_094929.jpg

And here is the only other dressage saddle fit for me that I could find, me in a campbell dressage:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/P9190181.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18.../Me/rocket.jpg

Edit to add: my price range is around $700, I might be willing to go higher for something really awesome, but would prefer to stay around $700 or under.
    Last edited by Skyedragon; Aug. 22, 2011 at 08:49 PM.

woof! that shoulder is deceiving in the side shot!
    I bet your girl likes those big, squishy gusseted panels on that toulouse.... have you tried any bates? they have similar panels, and my isabell accomodates my uber long femur great. I also like how the knee blocks are adjustable and interchangable.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Yes, her shoulders are huge. There is nothing much lady like about Skye other than the look she has in her eye.

Here is how the verona fit her just for giggles:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...6/P8100002.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...6/P8100001.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...6/P8100003.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...6/P8100004.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...812_104831.jpg

I haven't tried a bates yet. They aren't very common around here. We have two big tack stores that sell Toulouse/HDR/Classic Saddlery (use to be Rembrandt so there are a lot of those around too) and Collegiate/Wintec so when it comes to used stuff that is what is mostly for sale in the area. Do Collegiate and Wintec fit similar to Bates? I know they are made by the same company now.

Hmmm... I'm definitely not an expert, but you may want to try a slightly larger size on the first saddle, and see what your femur thinks. With the deep seat, it looks a little tight to me. You want about a hands width behind you in the saddle.

You'll usually go up about 1" from your close contact size, but if that's a flat seat, and you're getting a deep seated dressage saddle, you might need an extra 1/2 to 1".

Good luck!

That's the problem...I am ashamed to say that this verona is already an 18 inch. I normally ride in a 17.5 CC.

I sent you a PM. Maybe it will help? Who knows. Saddle shopping is the WORST.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

absolutely try the verona in the next full size up, the flap will be longer and likely fit better, and I can't imagine you'd feel like you're swimming in it.

The verona has a U shaped gullet iirc., that would definitely suit her very surprising shoulders (I never would have guessed that by the side shot).

Have you not been able to find any Rembrandts that suit her? My horse is U shaped and the Rembrandt I had did not suit him, but they have SO many saddles they might have a U shaped gullet one. Not the adjustable trees, those are most if not always A shaped iirc.

On your budget and to suit you and her, I would absolutely suggest checking out the Courbette Bernina. It fit my flat backed U shaped horse and my super long femur well, until he outgrew it. You should be able to find a gently used one for around $700.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Ahh, just read you're at 18" already. DON'T be ashamed. A larger seat size doesn't mean anything other than the conformation of *that* individual saddle fitting your body conformation. You have a very long thigh, which makes for an elegant leg, but is tricky to find a saddle to suit. Also too, I've had 2 M Toulouse saddles and they both measured smaller than they were marked.

Another option in your range is Duett, Jorge Canaves (JC) and Thornhill. All make models that have nice U shaped gullets, and broad flat panels. Your mare seems flatter front to back too (which suits MT dressage saddles well), so be sure you don't look at models that are too banana shaped.

Finally, if the Verona feels like it suits you other than the placement of the thighblocks, is there a saddle fitter you could talk to about having them removed/reduced? That might be the fastest easiest way believe it or not.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    That's the problem...I am ashamed to say that this verona is already an 18 inch. I normally ride in a 17.5 CC.
    The Verona is pretty deep so I'd expect you to need at least an 18 1/2 to make it a fair comparison - heck try a 19" too if you can find one
    Remember that even within a single model of saddle from 1 company, the saddles easily vary 1/2" in actual finished size.
    Then some saddles from a particular maker might also fit very differently: larger or smaller compared to other brands.

I do love the seat in the verona. Its one of the most comfortable saddles I have ever sat in. Like with the HDR a lot of saddles make my pubic bones and my "butt bones" sore. Lucky me the only place I don't have any padding is in my posterior. I wish there was some way I could get my leg to squash into this saddle.

I will look into the courbette, I had been under the impression that the courbettes tend to run narrow.

I think the twist on a duett will be too wide for me from what I have read.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

This is the only verona I could find in an 18.5 http://www.smartpakequine.com/m-toul...ap--8421p.aspx
    The Blog

Well, don't always go by what you read to determine if its for you or not. My Toulouse Aachen had a wide twist, chances are your Verona might as well, so you might actually like a wide twist. I find its the narrow twists that make me feel like I'm sitting right on my pubic bone and it hurts.

try the wintec isabell, and if you both don't like that, try the wintec pro dressage. they come with adjustable trees, so there's lots of room to play around.
    i normally am not a fan of weatherbeata products (wintec, collegiate, bates), but i sat in a bates isabell that made me change my tune and now I love it, and also have a collegiate CC saddle... so go figure

ETA: I hated wintec and bates products for the longest because of the wide twist and chair seat they put me in. the new wintec pro didn't have either issue, and the bates isabell I bought (it's used, but one of the newer models) *gasp* I like better than my passier which I NEVER thought I'd say. You really do just have to sit in stuff and go from there. Remember to first sit in each saddle without stirrups on the model, then with, and take pictures. If you don't have that correct ear, shoulder, hip ankle allignment on the model horse when the saddle is perfectly level, there's no point setting it on your horse.

I might have to try one. I can get the brand new model pretty cheap on ebay, and the older ones seem to go for around $500. You don't think the tree will be tooooo straight?
    The Blog

Give Classic Saddlery a call as they handle ALOT of Toulouse saddles - if they don't have the Verona, they may be able to suggest others to try.

I sent you a PM about an Albion Original Comfort
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    You don't think the tree will be tooooo straight?
    no way to know for sure til you try it.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Give Classic Saddlery a call as they handle ALOT of Toulouse saddles - if they don't have the Verona, they may be able to suggest others to try.

That is who I am working with currently. They are 15 minutes from my house (and I will be boarding my horse there soon). Thats where I got the HDR and the verona from. I have pretty much exhausted their selection of under a grand.
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
    I sent you a PM about an Albion Original Comfort
    Sorry, for some reason it got marked as read! Replied now.
    The Blog