The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default High Quality Shipping boots

I am looking for good quality Orange shipping boots.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I really like the Kensington shipping boots, but they do not have any orange ones. I'll most likely buy the red plaid ones with matching red plaid halter (for black horse) If I cannot find any good quality orange ones.

Thanks!

DDQ

use stable bandages with orange wraps??

Though only in black, my pair of Dover 4 velcro shipping boots have worn like iron. They must be 10 years old now and don't look it at all.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

I've never seen orange shipping boots, but the Dover Pros are nice! For the price, you can't beat them in quality, just make sure you go onto the sale part of the website to get the best price on them.

Get the Dover Pros in black.

Yeah, I wouldn't get orange. Think about what they'd look like with manure stains.

Also you shouldn't ship in a Nylon halter (just thought I'd add that little tidbit)

I seriously doubt you'll find orange shipping boots. Navy, green, red, and of course black are pretty much all I've ever seen.

I currently have the Dover Pros and really like them. If you buy during a clearance, they're around $60. I also used to have a set of Pessoas (also black), which were very nice & sturdy. You can get them from Smartpak for arbout $90. Whatever you buy, I recommend getting something with maximum padding, hock/knee coverage, nylon lining (not fleece!), and hoof scuff plates. Both of the above brands have all of those features.

I've seen a lot of things at trade shows and the like, but never orange shipping boots. Just not a popular enough color in this country. I think, for something like that, you're going to have to go custom. Maybe Clothes Horse can make that?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Talking

Just buy another color and spray paint them !?

Quote Originally Posted by karlymacrae View Post
    Also you shouldn't ship in a Nylon halter (just thought I'd add that little tidbit)
    You can if you have good breakaway ties that will actually break if something bad happens. I have the velcro ones from Smartpak. If the horse really sets back against them, the velcro peels apart, leaving you with a 10" or so piece hanging down from the halter to grab.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I've seen a lot of things at trade shows and the like, but never orange shipping boots. Just not a popular enough color in this country. I think, for something like that, you're going to have to go custom. Maybe Clothes Horse can make that?
    Thanks, I will check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    You can if you have good breakaway ties that will actually break if something bad happens. I have the velcro ones from Smartpak. If the horse really sets back against them, the velcro peels apart, leaving you with a 10" or so piece hanging down from the halter to grab.
    That's the last thing I think about.. I've seen horses get feet caught in their halters, halters caught on other components in the trailer, etc -and also the OP could have easily shipped in a bright orange nylon halter and no real breakaway ties.. on the up side, a black horse with orange shipping boots and an orange halter would be high visibility if there was an accident and he got away..

I'll bet the Dutch have orange shipping boots.

Over here you'll probably have to go custom.

http://www.raraequus.com/productcart...4&idcategory=8

Quote Originally Posted by Leather View Post
    I'll bet the Dutch have orange shipping boots.

Over here you'll probably have to go custom.

http://www.raraequus.com/productcart...4&idcategory=8
    Haha! probably!

Those look nice, but I'm just wondering, they look a little thin to me. do they have any padding? compared to the kensington and dover ones, they look thin.

oh, and I always ship in a normal halter with normal lead lines, never had a problem.

How about these: Rambo Newmarket Travel Boots

Black for practicality, with orange (red and yellow) accent!
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Quote Originally Posted by DutchDressageQueen View Post
    oh, and I always ship in a normal halter with normal lead lines, never had a problem.
    Of course you haven't, because you wouldn't be planning on doing it if you had.

But horses are masters at finding to hurt (and kill) themselves. Surely you know that?

I've heard it's fairly simple to retrofit nylon halters with breakaway tabs (like this, but I've never done it myself. It would definitely be cheaper than replacing halters you already own.

I've never seen orange shipping boots though.
    Last edited by Azar; Aug. 24, 2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: I always forget something...

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    You can if you have good breakaway ties that will actually break if something bad happens.
    Have you seen what happens when a horse pulls back and easily breaks one of those halters? The horse flies off the trailer running is what. Not safe! NEVER use a breakaway halter for shipping. Been there, seen that, bad ending.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    Have you seen what happens when a horse pulls back and easily breaks one of those halters? The horse flies off the trailer running is what. Not safe! NEVER use a breakaway halter for shipping. Been there, seen that, bad ending.
    OR they can just be trapped in a rolled trailer, slip and hang themselves (been there seen THAT), get their foot caught in it, cut the sh*t out of their face if they ever need to get free... etc