The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just a Friendly Vent

If I had no hay or water for my herd and I had a friend put on the chron that I was desperate to find "GOOD" homes for my regally bred horses then why when called would I only knock off a couple of thousand dollars off a horse that were not inexpensive to start????? Get what I am saying?

HELLOOOOOOOOOOO

Doesn't sound too desperate to me and frankly it makes me really mad that I had a friend looking for a reasonably priced WB to call. She bought a nice WB prospect as a 14 month old who is now 6 and has never been sound. She has, needless to say, become very gunshy about buying anything but it is breaking her heart that she has nothing to ride. She has dumped thousands of dollars and to date he is still not sound and probably never will be.

I am miffed that I had her call........vent over.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

You are not the only one who feels this way.

http://www.ultimatedressage.com/foru...p?f=9&t=214054

Plenty of venting to be found, about this drought dispersal sale.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." George Burns

RIDICULOUS>>>>>that is not a dispersal sale to "GOOD" homes.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

I am sure this seller is a lovely person (and my good friend springer just purchased a lovely filly from her and is beyond thrilled), but i have to admit, i scratched my head at this too.

My experience was, and continues to be awesome with this breeder. I guess everything is relative; and I don't believe she ever represented herself as "desperate". The horses are being fed and watered and look great. She is thinking ahead, however. Her horses are elite hanoverians. You won't see them selling for nothing. They are being sold for substantially less than their value, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    Am I missing something, or am I correct that the owner of the "Dispersal Sale" due to the severe drought (no hay/water) has posted on her blog that she is currently in Germany, Turkey and Greece on vacation?
    I remember when it was first posted that this breeder was selling all her horses. It was also posted at that time that it was not a fire sale, but rather a move being made well in advance of any emergency in order to avoid an emergency down the road.

I know this breeder. She is a kind, generous and honest person who loves her horses and whose passion has been putting wonderful horses on the ground. Record drought has caused her to face the reality that her farm cannot continue to support her breeding program. That is a very sad fact. However, it is not a personal failing. It is also not a personal failing for her to be trying to get fair (not fire) prices for her horses. Just because she is selling everything does not mean that she should be expected to give everything away.

Her horses are wonderful, and well cared for, and I think very reasonably priced. I don't know what people expect to pay for a good Hanoverian -- but obviously I have a different idea of value.
    As Mary Lou says, she is "selling" not giving away. I would expect she wants her buyers to be able to afford to keep the horses purchased in the manner to which they are accustomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
    Her horses are wonderful, and well cared for, and I think very reasonably priced. I don't know what people expect to pay for a good Hanoverian -- but obviously I have a different idea of value.
    As Mary Lou says, she is "selling" not giving away. I would expect she wants her buyers to be able to afford to keep the horses purchased in the manner to which they are accustomed.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
    Very well said, Kathleen.

I find this thread and the other to be in such poor taste.

She's selling horses, not giving them away. Because she wants fair value for them, that somehow makes her guilty of false advertising? I don't think so. It's no different than buying any other horse. Don't want to pay the price? Then walk away.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Now that the stock market dropped once again, she would be wise to rethink her pricing structure. It's hard to believe selling horses, no matter how well bred or kept, is selling any better than real estate in this economy. Every month you're spending money to keep the farm going, is it really worth it? I'm sorry for the breeder, just about all of us have had to make hard decisions in this downturn. The bad weather in Texas, is more salt in the wound.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

europa: I have to agree with you. I also called about a horse when I first saw the original thread. Right now, I am located fairly close to her and would absolutely love one of her horses. I don't expect her to give me a free horse, but I can do just as well shopping around. I understand she is not giving them away, but they also don't seem like "sale" prices either.

I have a nice barn, extra stalls, plenty of hay and water, but no riding horse at this time (only an in-hand horse). I miss riding soooooo much and want soooooo badly to just have a horse that I can ride.

How much money you have to spend on a horse is NOT an indication on how a horse will be kept. I know people who have spent $$$$ on horses and then got bored and neglected them, and I know people who may only have a small amount for an initial investment but who take beautiful care of their horses. I would certainly not equate how much money a purchaser can spend with the care the horse will get. Some of the best riders and horse people I know don't have tons to spend on a prospect, and some of the worst riders I have seen spend buckets of money on their horses....and visa versa of course....

I agree with Kathleen and Mary Lou completely . . .and my personal experience with this breeder has been wonderful. As far as prices go . . . . from what I have seen, they are priced a almost half market value . . .which is a HUGE discount. But good homes and the "right match" is the utmost importance to this breeder which I think is great.

Different people have different definitions of "Fire Sales". Each has his own reasons and limits. Buyers need to have clear prices before making an appointment to shop, I guess. When I want a horse "gone" and want to be choosey as to where it goes, I cut prices to the bone. Every day you feed "that" horse is more money you are losing!! JMO
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I find this thread and the other to be in such poor taste.
    AGREED!

How much money you have to spend on a horse is NOT an indication on how a horse will be kept. I know people who have spent $$$$ on horses and then got bored and neglected them, and I know people who may only have a small amount for an initial investment but who take beautiful care of their horses. I would certainly not equate how much money a purchaser can spend with the care the horse will get.
    So glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I don't know breeder and I think it's a horrible situation really. I can't comment on specific pricing.

But SD, your comment was was oh so special. She wants to keep prices high so she can be sure they are kept in owner's very high standards. Trust me, how much money you have is no indication on your horse care standards. Geez it must be nice to be you. I feel so bad for my lot standing out in their grassy fields or waiting in their way over bedded stable for me to bring out their now cooking oats to go with the custom made diets. And a host of little things I make sure they have. I better go out and tell them that since I can't afford and 80k horse, they aren't being looked after very well.

It's statements like that which will make people look somewhere else to buy a horse.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

The breeder in question has an excellent reputation. The prices look reasonable to me, fwiw (I'd love the Rotspon x Matcho mare )

I do agree, though, that styling a sale as a liquidation or dispersal suggests something different in terms of prices than a general willingness to negotiate. In fact, I believe it is a rare instance that a top breeder is not willing to knock off a thousand or two for a very good home. So calling that a dispersal or liquidation seems more of a marketing tactic and it is no wonder it would cause some confusion. Compare that to the Horses Unlimited dispersal auction with reserve prices of 1K; I think that is what people think of when they think dispersal. (As an aside I am not sure why it is fair game to publicize any of these sales here)
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

We're going to look around for the thread this one references, as it sounds like it's not a situation we would permit to be advertised under our rules.

Remember the alert button if you think something's not appropriate for posting here.

Thanks!
    Mod 1