The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IV Banamine, Antihistamine--Seizure

I'm still shaking. My TB and a friend's QH escaped from their field last night when a tree limb went down on the electric fence. They ended up in a feed can and split an entire bag of senior feed (another story). Vet came out to tube both of them and had sedate both with ACE shots (not sure if these were IV or IM) in order to insert the tube. After the tubing of the first horse she gave him two more, these definitely IV, injections--Banamine and an antihistamine.

Moments after the two injections, the first horse completely freaked out--shivering, collapsing at the knees, rearing and crashing into the stall walls and falling. After a few minutes, he calmed down and just appeared sedated, as before. Stall door was hugely bent out, but horse does not seem to be
    injured. Vet said it was a very rare side-effect of the injections (either or both).

Then it was my horse's turn... He required two ACE injections to complete the tubing. Then came the Banamine and antihistamine IV shots. I
    was assured that the first reaction was a fluke, and not to worry...I said I think I'll just take this bucket out of the stall just in case... My horse had EXACTLY the same reaction, rearing, crashing and falling. When we could assess the damage (my friend and I are grown women, but we were shaking and crying), my horse had a gash under one eye, and bleeding cuts on a hock
    and a fetlock.

What happened?! The vet said it wasn't a seizure, but if not WTH was it? COTH wisdom and experience needed here. Vet said she would investigate and let us know if it was a bad batch of drugs. Someone at the barn said something like this can happen if you inject an artery instead of a vein.

We are counting our blessings that our horses are acting normally now and
    appear to be OK (mine almost needed stitches, but we decided not to put him through it), but we don't want this to happen to another horse if it can be prevented.

Any ideas? (post-stress hugs also accepted!)
    Last edited by mojo7777; Aug. 21, 2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: ACE, not Banamine, first shots
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Default Report the lots of meds to the FDA

When I read the first reaction, my initial thought is that an artery was nicked in the administration. Once I read that two horses had the same reaction, I then moved onto something not being right with those meds.

I suggest calling the FDA and reporting those lots to them so they can monitor and keep track in case of a potential recall situation. Tell them that both were given at the same time, so you aren't sure if it's one or the combiniation, but let them know.

Oops, just realized that it was the vet that gave the meds! Sorry! Hopefully they are reporting it to the FDA and they can report back. I would make sure your vet reports it (try to get an update if possible), and if they don't ask them to give you the lot #s so you can report it.

Ok. Take a deep breath. What you said doesn't make any sense. Banamine is not a sedative and no way the vet would dose a horse with banamine three times within minutes. I hope everything is ok now. Clarify what meds were actually given and maybe someone can help you figure out what went wrong.

1) Banamine is not a sedative. It is a non steroidal anti inflammatory. Used for fever, colic, and pain, not for sedation.

I have no idea what your vet really gave the horse.

2) if the vet misses the jugular vein and gets through to the carotid artery, anything given goes straight to their brain, that is where the carotid is carrying oxygenated blood. The reaction you describe sounds as though the vet missed the vein and they got whatever was given in the artery.

It sounds as though your vet missed not once but twice.

With all the flopping around, you need a vet out to check over their heart and lungs, they can do damage to themselves while having a seizure once whatever your vet gave them hit the brain.

Highly unlikely two horses had an allergic reaction, more likely vet managed to hit two in the carotid. It happens more often then you would think.

However if they the meds are bad that could cause issues too, but it really sounds as though the vet managed to miss - twice.

Valid points raised above.
    I'd be looking most closely at the IV antihistamine, personally.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Yes. If vet missed the vein and hit an artery with Banamine, horse will have seizure.

One BO did that giving Callie her routine Banamine shot. (for founder, 2x a day per vet for months, since Callie refused to take bute in anything.) Fortunately I was holding the lead rope and we were in a paddock. Scary to see mare get up and go down 3x. And hard to keep her from banging her head against the ground. Vet came out. Said it was Banamine in an artery. Mare was OK by time vet arrived. BO freaked out though as she thought mare had had a heart attack and was dying. So we switched to orally dosing her.

Question

I'll go with Ghazzu.

I'd also want to know why your vet felt it was necessary to sedate a horse for tubing.

Having been very active in the horse world before ivermectin when tube deworming was an every day part of a veterinary practice, I'd really wonder. Not that I miss it!

Sorry, you're right. I'm still a little shaken up. The owner of the other horse says it was ACE given to both horses pre-tubing. The IV drugs were Banamine and antihistamine.

We are going to talk to the main equine vet in the practice tomorrow to see if we can get some more information. Headed out now to check on my boy again.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo7777 View Post
    Sorry, you're right. I'm still a little shaken up. The owner of the other horse says it was ACE given to both horses pre-tubing. The IV drugs were Banamine and antihistamine.

We are going to talk to the main equine vet in the practice tomorrow to see if we can get some more information. Headed out now to check on my boy again.
    Were they given together in the same syringe?? I have been told by a vet to never combine banamine with anything else when injecting it. I forget exactly why, but he said just don't do it.

Why did they get an antihistamine anyway?

It's not that surprising that they would be tranqed for the tubing, since most horses these days aren't used to it--my vet tranqs for it too. But neither IV nor IM ace or banamine should cause issues if they're administered properly. I had this happen while giving IM penicillin and you're right--it is terrifying! Enough so that I won't give penicillin again unless it's life or death.

read the thread on banamine and IM...I am pretty sure it was discussed about hitting an artery and causing a very short, but strong violent reaction if instead of hitting a vein, an artery was hit.
    either that, or I have been doing too much googling about IM banamine, and reading about IV as well.

I can understand sedation prior to tubing, but two horses seems like more the drug vs hitting an artery. However, there are all sorts of vets out there...some good, some terrible.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I doubt very much that the reaction described was a result of inadvertant intracarotid injection.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

The medicines were not mixed--they were separate shots. The vet said that the antihistamine was part the usual protocol because, like the Banamine, it has a antitoxin effect.

The tubing on both horses was a struggle as the horses coughed and refused to swallow--this was after they had been given the ACE, which was administered right away (two doses for my horse). I'm not experienced with any of this (though quickly getting there), but I had started to lose some confidence in the vet before the first seizure.

The horses seem to be fine now (aside from the nasty cuts on my horse). How much do I have to be worried about repercussions from the seizure--regardless of how it was caused?

I would be more worried about the grain overload than the medication reaction. Hopefully he is fine on both counts.

My horse had a reaction to her routine vaccines. She was given IV antihistamine shot by vet. Immediately afterward, she had a grand mal seizure. Behavior was like you described. Vet told me it was her mistake, the antihistamine she gave should have been given IM instead of IV. I put her in the hospital (their expense) and they watched her overnight. Also, they gave her IV fluids to try to get everything flushed out of her system. Happy to report she had no adverse effects from this episode. By the next day when I went to pick her up, she was ready to go. I am a nurse, knew what was happening (and vet confirmed it) but I had not before seen a horse have a grand mal seizure. Hope I never see it again. Sorry you had to go through this. Best of luck to you.

Believe me, I'm worried about everything to do with this!

Has anyone else heard of using antihistamines in cases like this? Have you ever seen them administered by IV?

Banamine is prescribed 2x/day for 3 days, by paste.

The medicines were not mixed--they were separate shots. The vet said that the antihistamine was part the usual protocol because, like the Banamine, it has a antitoxin effect.
    Good to know. Do you know which shot, the horses had a reaction to? Did she do the banamine or antihistamine 1st?

I would think it was the 2nd one they had the reaction to.

What was the antihistamine?

Don't know what order the shots were in, but I think it took maybe a minute longer for my horse to start the seizure-type activity than it took the first horse. I did see the needle gointo my horse's neck, and I watched the vet look at the blood dripping out. In retrospect I seem to remember seeing her pause at that point as though briefly undecided. Does arterial blood look different coming out of a needle than venous blood?

I will update this thread tomorrow after I speak to the senior equine vet in the practice. He is supposed to call me anyway about my horse's sore feet/shoes, and I intend to get his opinion. The local, second opinion vet I phoned today said that because the feed was a senior formula, complete type feed, that there is a little less to be worried about because so much of the feed is roughage.

I will update this thread tomorrow after I speak to the senior equine vet in the practice. He is supposed to call me anyway about my horse's sore feet/shoes, and I intend to get his opinion. The local, second opinion vet I phoned today said that because the feed was a senior formula, complete type feed, that there is a little less to be worried about because so much of the feed is roughage.
    Depending on what senior feed there could be lots of sugar in it which would be of great concern!

I would be proactive about preventing or heading of a laminitic episode.