The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horseguard fencing - what's a good non-solar charger?

I need something with some *serious* zap, to cover somewhere between 10-15,000 total feet (3 strands make that up, so it's not 30-45k feet).

I assume I connect it the same way as the solar charger is connected?

It would be great if there was something at TSC since I could get hubs to pick it up on the way home. Or, I can run to Southern States of they have something good.

Default battery

So I got a GREAT fence charger that works off of 4 D batteries. Zareba 10 mile fence charger. Anywho, I used it after giving up on the solar deal and boy did my dogs regret that! I needed to fire up two strands that enclose about an acre. Needless to say, it did the trick. No one is trying to touch that fence anymore! The good thing about it is that the battery pack is enclosed - whereas if you use a traditional battery charged one, I believe you have to keep it out of the weather. Good luck.

How long do 4 D batteries last? I don't have any trouble keeping the charger out of the elements.

I think I have one called "The Rancher" or something like that. It will knock you on your @ss. I have several miles of fence and 4 strands of HG.

Which Zareba 10 mile fence charger did you get? I went to their website and there are several 10 mile fence chargers that operate on D batteries.

Also, how long do the batteries last?

Thanks!

Mine is a Gallagher B60.....does up to 40 acres, works on battery (I have Megatron 6 cell deep cycle 12 volt RV/Marine battery that runs this for about 45 days and recharges in a couple hours). The info on the back says that if in very dry country conditions the acreage given can be up to triple the amount the charger is rated for....it bites! doing about 20 acres (have this around the boys on the far side of the road....don't have the girls side done yet).
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

I'm confused - if in dry conditions it can cover MORE acreage?

So could I keep 2 batteries, 1 on a trickle charger, and just swap back and forth? How long can those types of batteries be charged (ie do they have a lifespan of about 2 years of recharging every 45 days)?

Or I suppose I could keep the solar charger and just turn that on when I'm re-charging the other battery.

Have tried almost every brand, love the Gallagher fencers. Have solar and regular. They work great in the wet spring and hot, dry summers.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but we stopped using Zahara fencers a while ago. We had terrible luck with them and I got tired of going back and forth to TSC.

We get our Gallagher fencers at Southern States, but I am sure they are available elsewhere.

Hope you find what works for you.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Yes, I think that is the one. Ours has a high and low power setting also. I'm not sure if there are stronger ones than that or not but that is the same brand we have. It has been very reliable and is several years old.

Hi I am not sure what Zareba one I have except that it has two settings (high and low). It worked for I would say 4 months on the batteries and then I just turned the thing off because they learned their lesson. I had it on the "high" setting for four months. If weather is not an issue, I would get the battery if it is overall cheaper. I have a "pro feeder" (for feeding my horse) on a lawn mower battery and I have one to swap out when the first one gets low. That battery was about $35. I keep it out of the weather.

Get a Gallagher. I bought the best Zareba as a replacement when one of our others got zapped by lightning. It put out less than half the voltage. When I replaced it with a Gallagher the voltage went right back to where it was before.

I can get Gallagher as SS? That would be awesome- I could get one to try tomorrow.