The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default An interesting video

Stumbled across this on another site- thought I would pass it along as a "what not to do". Be advised, it is a little alarming. I have seen some stupid things in my life but this has rocketed its way to the top of the list
    Last edited by sunray; Aug. 21, 2011 at 10:24 PM.

I just can't figure out what the point of the exercise ......

I had to read the comments (people bashing her trainer, trainer defending herself) and watch some of the other videos (gasp). Apparently she gets left behind in the air and this exercise is to teach her to duck over her horse's neck.

There is another ducking video to teach the same thing, that or skewer the rider.

I hope that eventually this rider listens to her more experienced friends and looks for a better trainer with more a grasp of jumping and less a grasp of chucking someone over a fence.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Aug. 21, 2011 at 09:21 PM.

Oh my goodness. Because what will fix this rider's problems is learning how to duck.

On the bright side, she accomplished something truly special -- I have never seen a rider be both too far ahead and left behind at the same time, but I think she might have accomplished it over that last fence.

Pole would be more effective at accomplishing the (supposed) intended purpose as a groundline. On the other hand, I'm not so sure that someone who thought this was a good idea doesn't deserve to get hit in the head. Maybe if she does it enough times it will beat enough sense into her that she will look for a new trainer.

Another entry for the Darwin awards.

Holy....holy....
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

There are no words to describe how appalled I am.

And the trainer's comments were just......... .

Wow. Just...Wow. How would that ever be a good idea!

That poor horse and rider in the hands of that trainer...

More like limbo than duck duck goose....
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

wow. any one see the "duck and dodge" one they have also? I have no idea what the purpose of these are, and see them as being very, very dangerous.

Look at the other videos...
    I have not seen more dangerous and pointless training exercises in my life.
    a horseless canuck...

THIS is the best one (it's 2 to the right/next)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....50252628924135

Have the volume turned UP, it's worth it.

Seriously, wtf. How is this girl not dead.
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

Oh look, I have popcorn AND mojitos...
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Quote Originally Posted by aeriallllllxo View Post
    This is the difference between the Good and the Great riders..
    1. What is?

and, 2. No, it's not.
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

Quote Originally Posted by aeriallllllxo View Post
    Hey guys. This is the rider in the video. This was totally checked to be safe before I did it. It is to teach me how to duck when jumping. In Eventing, they have STATIONARY jumps like this and if you hit it you will die I want to do those one day. So please, keep your negative comments away. If you want to say something Facebook be. Don't say it behind my back. This was my idea!

I did also start doing this at Cross-Rails and then slowly moved to that height. This is the difference between the Good and the Great riders. You dont like it, DONT WATCH IT. okay, thank you for Critisizing me and calling me stupid. Means A LOT.....

The stationary jumps are designed to be more than high enough to clear the riders head. You are learning to jump ahead instead of get left behind. Why not find a new trainer and learn to just stay centered?

Dear aeriallllllxo,

This is not safe and you are not safe doing it.

There are many, many exercises that teach a rider to stay with the motion that do not put the horse and rider in jeopardy.

How many times do you think you can knock that pole off with your head before your horse starts quitting? Even if you care nothing for your own safety, think of your horse.

Gosh, wish DD's trainer knew this is all she would have to do to make dd a "great" rider instead of just a "good" rider. I'll let her know. Someone ring up George Morris while we are at it - maybe he should be doing this in all his clinics too.

*snort*

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    Oh look, I have popcorn AND mojitos...
    I just put mine in the microwave. Need to find something to drink though....hmmmm.

This seems to me like a classic case of aspiring young eventers seeing the jumps at Rolex and thinking "Oh I can do that."

Clearly, young lady, you CANNOT do that. You are not ready, and your trainer should be acutely aware of that fact.

I get it that you like your trainer, but this exercise is not appropriate in any way, shape or form, and is NOT going to do one single thing for you as a rider that will put you SAFELY on the road to Advanced. It's really truly time to find another trainer.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief