The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lameness Vet in NC?

Are there any vets that really stand out in this area in your opinion? I am bringing back a 5 yr old tb from a very bad degloving accident almost a year ago and would like a vet that's familiar with this injury for an overall view. My gelding was treated at NC State for 2 wks. when it happened and they did a wonderful job. I will make a follow up appt. this fall but just wanted other input, too.

I loved NC State for my guy that had a complicated lameness in the left hind. I particularly liked Dr. Schramme who stuck with figuring my guy out over several days, and really worked with me on options as $$ was an issue. I am happy to say, knock on wood, that he is sound today as a result (1 year later).

thanks Dbamford...I remember his name from before. Glad your guy is doing so well.

Bill Haye and Ann Baskett at Tryon Equine Hospital
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

It really depends on where in NC you are. Who did you see at NC State? Dr. Redding is probably the best lameness one there, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back to him in a heartbeat.

In Statesville, Dr. Travis Blackwelder (http://www.statesvilleequineclinic.com/) is also really wonderful.

I would highly recommend either one. I've also heard great things about Tryon Equine Hospital (though not specifically related to lameness and I haven't been there personally). I'm sure they would also be great.

Talking

Dr. Fogle(on maternity leave), Dr. Davis, and Dr. Ankrum(moved) worked on my tb.at State. I thought about Dr. Blackwelder since he's closer but decided I ought to go to State again since they have all my records. I've heard Dr. Gerard is excellent with lameness down there. I"m glad to know the Tryon Eq. is good - I'm collecting these names for the future! I've used Dr. Redding before and thought he was good but "bedside" manner left a lot to be desired, I thought. Probably just a bad day.

I've had some wonderful experiences with Dr. Blackwelder, both Jr. And Sr.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I'll throw my recommendation for Travis Blackwelder as well........ one of the best in the area!!!!

Another recommendation for Blackwelder in Statesville, that is if you are close enough. Good luck in your search!
    Zion Farm - Friesian & Norwegian Fjord Horses

what about the Hassinger Equine? I know they run like a sports medicine program. I've heard good things about them!

Where in NC are you and how far are you willing to travel?

Smile

Done deal! I called for Dr. Gerard at State yesterday a.m. He called back last eve after reviewing all the charts. He assured me things sounded normal for a recovery from such a bad injury...can take up to 1 1/2 years for all to remold, reform, etc. Wow, he was so informative and helpful! I was concerned about waiting too long for ultrasound,shockwave, anything that would help the recovery before it was too "set".
    Of course, also in my mind was how, in my zealousness and excitement, I overworked him stepping over cavelletti on Sat. and broke one(started him back in Aug.) He is a little ouchy - and boy, I am too at myself. The Doc was sympathetic and told me I will have days when I have to push a little just to see where he stands. Continue walking for another month and then transition if he's still good.
    So, thanks for all the names and I've written them down in my book under Vets I might need!

Another plug for Tryon Equine and Dr.'s Hay and Baskett. I have had to see way too much for them this past year, but I still like them! I am waiting for my frequent punch card.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

I really like Jimmy Reber of Lake Norman large animal. Also, if you're close by, there is a equine rehab facility in Davidson. Davidson Equine Rehab, with an acupuncturist and rehab veterinarian, both DVM's on staff who are great with helping horses come back from injuries

Quote Originally Posted by tuttifruitti View Post
    I've used Dr. Redding before and thought he was good but "bedside" manner left a lot to be desired, I thought. Probably just a bad day.
    I'm not saying this trying to change your mind or be argumentative at all. I'm SURE the vets you are dealing with are excellent. This just made me remember this, and I thought I'd share for future readers of the thread.

Redding's just a dry, straightforward guy, but he was actually pretty personable to me and wonderful with my horse. He doesn't suffer fools and seems to usually get some serious, engaged, large-animal vet students on his rotations. My ONLY complaint is that State's communication leaves a lot to be desired, no matter whom you see. But Redding is really excellent at diagnosing lameness and doesn't run up the bill with unnecessary tests and services, IME. Dr. Blackwelder told me that Dr. Redding is the guy (and the only guy) he sends his own horses to if they need diagnostics.

For me, results matter more than bedside manner unless someone is just insufferable or mean to the horses. In fact, the vet with the best "bedside manner" (out of the 5 vets involved in my most recent case) told me to put the horse down... and he was never able to even diagnose the problem. Every other vet laughed at that. Note that the horse is expected to make a full and complete recovery, including jumping at his previous level, at this point.

Again, IN NO WAY do I mean to imply you are making the wrong choice or that there aren't other excellent diagnosticians out there who also have awesome bedside manner. Your post just reminded me of these things, so I thought I'd share. You have to go with the vet you're most comfortable with - and we are lucky in NC to have our fair share of excellent vets to choose from.

And BTW, I wish you the absolute best of luck with your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by tuttifruitti View Post
    Done deal! I called for Dr. Gerard at State yesterday a.m. He called back last eve after reviewing all the charts. He assured me things sounded normal for a recovery from such a bad injury...can take up to 1 1/2 years for all to remold, reform, etc. Wow, he was so informative and helpful! I was concerned about waiting too long for ultrasound,shockwave, anything that would help the recovery before it was too "set".
    Of course, also in my mind was how, in my zealousness and excitement, I overworked him stepping over cavelletti on Sat. and broke one(started him back in Aug.) He is a little ouchy - and boy, I am too at myself. The Doc was sympathetic and told me I will have days when I have to push a little just to see where he stands. Continue walking for another month and then transition if he's still good.
    So, thanks for all the names and I've written them down in my book under Vets I might need!

I missed this before I posted. I am glad to hear that your horse's prognosis is really good.

You know, as soon as I posted that note about bedside manners I thought what a dumb thing to say - it certainly doesn't matter when you are getting top advice like Dr. Redding can give.
    Thanks for the good wishes about my young guy.