The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My personal experience for schooling shows this year has been that the scores are a little bit higher - usually by just a few percentage points, but not as much as 10%. These judges have been L grads and r's. But, fortunately, the comments have been spot on.

I did my first schooling dressage show last month and was told the scores were quite low. Luckily - I had good, constructive written comments that I felt were right on and were areas that I agreed needed to and should be worked on. Having been a hunter rider my whole life - I am hooked! Constructive criticism AND ride times?!?!?! Swoon!

From my experience, they don't seem to be any different. I just started competing in dressage this year and I seem to get about the same range of scores at schooling shows right up to the bigger "gold" level shows.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    Having been a hunter rider my whole life - I am hooked! Constructive criticism AND ride times?!?!?! Swoon!
    Same here! And I totally agree!! No endless sitting around waiting to ride or for ribbons and comments from the judge! I love it too!
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

In my experience I have always felt the schooling shows were about 10% higher than the recognized shows. So if you are getting 70s at schooling shows, then you might expect something in the 60s at a recognized show. Of course each judge is different though.

In my area, depending on the judge, I find it to be reverse to be true. I find the scores are higher at the recognized shows then the schooling.