The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Peewee bit

Anyone used it or know about it?

I have a schoolmaster who was started at Flyinge, so you know it was correct. Bought into US and turned upside down, using double bridle, whips and spurs - even has thickened skin from spurs. He's such a sweet guy.

I've done just the opposite. Rubber snaffle, no spurs, long whip just to touch the hocks. I ride him long and low and forward, I when pick him up and get him through and reward with giving hands. He hates contact on the right rein. We started from the beginning. He's doing well, but it is slow going. Shoulder-in and haunches-in are coming along as well as leg yielding. Counter canter has been very helpful, transitions are getting so much better.

He knows all the tricks - passage, piaffe, even one tempi changes. I rarely do any of these as we are still trying to get the basics correct.

I know a piece of equipment is not the answer, but sometimes it helps "the conversation".

Any toughts?

TIA

in cases like this, where there's a beautiful mind that just needs reminding that he's beautiful, whatever tool you need to enable that horse to feel confident and happy in his job again is okay by me.
    I've never used a pee wee bit, but it does sound interesting. my horse and I have had one hell of a journey towards correct contact and throughness as he was a misbehavenous polo pony who hated his job. we got our first glimpse of harmony in a dr bristol with the flat plate against the tongue (so no digging in) but as his shape progressed and his carriage became more erect and onto his haunches I switched him to a myler french link loose ring and he's quite happy. We are schooling 3rd right now.

I wish horses could have carry permits and thumbs so they could shoot the aholes that do this stuff to them Good luck with your friend.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

One rider at my barn uses one on her OTTB. It was recommended to her by her dressage trainer. I had never seen that type of bit before so was asking what it was and why she was using it.
    She wouldn't use it all the time. If I remember correctly she would use it about once a week as a reminder. She was using it because her horse would get heavy in her hands and lean too much. He is 16.2 and long, she is short and petite. He also does not have the underlying training you horse has. She is actually more of a hunter rider/trail rider and got him straight from the track. No dressage aspirations.

Based on her description I am not sure I would use it on a horse that doesn't want contact. However I have never used that type of bit and am only going on her description of why she used it.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    in cases like this, where there's a beautiful mind that just needs reminding that he's beautiful, whatever tool you need to enable that horse to feel confident and happy in his job again is okay by me.
    I wish horses could have carry permits and thumbs so they could shoot the aholes that do this stuff to them Good luck with your friend.
    Well said, PSJ.