The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Senior feed for IR horse?

Are there any senior feeds that would be ok for an IR horse? I'm looking at TC Senior at 11% NSC and wondering if my oldest mare might not benefit from it. She wouldn't be given it at the full amount, just something to add into her beet pulp and supps for extra 'oomph'. Not going to do anything right now with the pastures doing ok but thinking about starting her (and 3 others that are not IR) on it this winter. I just found out there is actually a TC dealer fairly close to me and I know a lot folks love the feed so thought I'd check that one out.

I personally would not go there.

I started mine on TC Senior about 3 weeks ago-3 horses ranging between 1-2 CUPS a day.

Just 3-4 days ago seeing indications of metabolic issues so pulled them all off.

I don't know if it is the soy or what but I would not take a chance on a true IR horse.

None of mine have 'metabolic issues' and it impacted each one.

Dangit. I've got several sensitive to soy, this mare not so much and 2 others not at all. One definitely does so I wasn't sure on her.

Yeah, if you saw metabolic affects right away it's not worth it to me. Thanks for the input.

I'm with LMH... don't go there.

It's thanks to LMH that my I.R. Percheron is doing so well. She pointed me to EquiPride.

I mix that with her beet pulp, BOSS, extra Vitamin E (she's also got EPSM) and raw, in-the-shell peanuts for extra protein. (Alfalfa will push her over the edge). Two years and NO laminitis, steady weight and a total turnaround in her feet.

P.S. Leah, you have GOT to see them now!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I just started an old guy with IR issues on Life Design Senior by Nutrena and soaked beet pulp. It seems to be working very very well. He did ok on the grain alone but when I added in the beet pulp at the suggestion of a nutritionist things got much better. I am however only 3 weeks into this new feeding routine.

Well, I may do that. This mare has been on just a bit of beet pulp and her vitamins and supps and I got a ton of weight off of her like that. The problem is now that the older she gets, the ribbier she gets, despite still having a cresty neck I have to watch like a hawk. She's on pasture 24/7 and she acts like she feels great but she just LOOKS her age (she's 19) now. This mare has never had an issue being thin as she's an airfern. But in the last 2 years she's just started looking older and older. She's up to date on deworming, vaccs and teeth. Doesn't drop or quid her food. I know there is a dealer somewhere around here that carries the Equipride. Off to go look. Thanks ladies.

You can order it online-I *think* shipping is free...

I would do that with 'straights'-or whole foods.

I took a chance on the TC Senior because I needed to mix something and didn't want to deal with water....

Never again. Whole foods only from now on.

I am also pretty impressed with SmartPak IR for cresty necks...

The one issue you may have is Equipride can be a little troublesome for fussy eaters.

I actually don't use it or any concentrated supplements anymore (except the IR spring through fall)...FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post

P.S. Leah, you have GOT to see them now!!!

Would love to-with Egg Salad please!

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    You can order it online-I *think* shipping is free...

I would do that with 'straights'-or whole foods.

I took a chance because I needed to mix something and didn't want to deal with water....

Never again. Whole foods only from now on.

I am also pretty impressed with SmartPak IR for cresty necks...
    This mare is on Smartcontrol IR and has been for 2 years (at a heavier dose in the spring and summer months). She's also on Magrestore, High Point Grass, and Smarthoof.

Quote Originally Posted by jaimebaker View Post
    This mare is on Smartcontrol IR and has been for 2 years (at a heavier dose in the spring and summer months). She's also on Magrestore, High Point Grass, and Smarthoof.

While others may disagree-I would be very careful adding that many minerals to an IR horse (or any horse)...there is a whole lot going in a horse that then must be processed.

While others may disagree-I would be very careful adding that many minerals to an IR horse (or any horse)...there is a whole lot going in a horse that then must be processed.
    Well, I've done all the math and she's not on dangerous levels with any of it. She gets 1/3 to a 1/2 dose of the vitamin supp since she's on pasture 24/7. She gets 3/4 of the dose of the Smarthoof. One dose of Magrestore (10 grams). 1.25 of the Smartcontrol IR right now. And all that with 2 cups of soaked BP.

ETA: Forgot, she's on MSM as well just for joint support.

Would love to-with Egg Salad please!
    How about this Sunday after church?
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.