The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hunt Schedule for 2011-2012

Newcomer to the forum here. I do not hunt but certainly enjoy the sport. Is there an online source to view the hunt schedules in Virginia? I waterfowl in the Orange County Hunt (VA) area and would love to see a hunt in person rather than simply see everyone around town before and after.

Thanks.

Foxhunts are private clubs, by invitation only. They don't 'publish schedules.'
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Hunter's Rest,
    Spammer?
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Are you asking about hunting on foot? Like Duck hunting? This is a horse forum and this particular area is for fox hunting on horseback. Sorry.

I'll disagree with Hunter's Rest. Some hunts do publish their hunt schedules such as Rappahannock Hunt, Bull Run Hunt, Snickersville, Loudon Hunt West, etc. Just to name a few.

They're private clubs. You can't just show up.
    I bet spammer too. I'd never 'seen one' before though I've heard you more experienced guys talk about them!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Also, we don't publish our list for several reasons; to include what Hunters Rest said and to respect the landowners privacy. Our website is a simple brochure, an introduction and outline but not the end all to what we do.

This person could be a spammer or a sab, but maybe he really is a fellow outdoorsman geniunely interested in fox hunting.

In that case perhaps the way forward is to point out to him a contact at OCH and let him ask his questions there?

I'll just leave this right here: http://www.bailyshuntingdirectory.co...ounty_Hunt.htm

Or www.MFHA.com which also gives contact info for the VA hunts.

Our OP didn't come across to me as untoward- knows that 'to hunt' indeed means to ride to hounds vice 'shooting' or 'stalking' for example.

OCH doesn't have a number of email listed on the MFHA site, just a name.

Thanks to those that provided genuine replies and information. The others replies are laughable and not totally unexpected! I'm certainly informed enough to know that the hunts are private, that this is a horse forum, that I'm not looking to hunt fox on foot, certain etiquette of the hunts, and know a few people involved in the area. I'm certainly not a spammer either.

Rather, I'm simply an interested observer of a wonderful tradition. I am exclusively a waterfowl hunter who happens to have family land in the heart of OCH territory. My wife's great grandfather was the founder of the Fairfax Hunt and subsequently involved with the OCH and Middleburg hunt through proximity. My wife does not ride anymore (nor does her father or sister) As such, I want to ensure that my kids are exposed to hunting so they are informed of their heritage more than simply seeing the hunt stroll through Middleburg around Christmas.

Thanks again to those that offered some direction.

Hey, I'm a novice waterfowler and you can car follow with my hunt if you let me hunt with you!!!! All the good spots are taken and there is no way I'm driving to Dyke Marsh to hunt. I'll even take you hunting with a foot pack of Basset hounds. Bring the wife and kids. We hunt on foot and chase cottontail rabbit. Similar to mounted foxhunting in terms of commands, the field, only with Bassets. We hunt in the Piedmont. My niece has been hunting with the foot pack since she was 3, and of course she always carries her hunting license.

Please don't be offended. In the past we've gotten AR activists bugging us on this forum. And our brethren in the UK have been beaten, stalked, harassed, threatened, their property has been vandalized, one hunt supporter was murdered, booby traps have been laid for horses and hounds, incendiary devices were found at hunt meets.......

So we can be just a tad bit suspicious.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

no offense taken. I simply know enough about hunting to know that the crowd can be, at times, overprotective of information, at times abrasive to newcomers, and certainly overprotective of the sport. As with many hobbies/passions/sports there are also those that are a bit off their rocker. Much the same as us waterfowlers!

I can assure you all one thing. I will fight till the day I die for the betterment of all hunting in Virginia and the US.

Thanks again for info.

We are all a bit nuts, thats for sure.

Holler if you'd like to hook up with one of the hunts I belong to, we always welcome fellow sportsmen and women. Many of our members are licensed for several species, you'd probably enjoy talking with them. The foot pack is welcoming as well.

Have a terrific season.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Default Come with me, too

Waterfowler,
    I'll take you out, too. I'm with Old Dominion Hounds. I'm happy to pass the fox hunting and old timer tales on to you and yours. Like you, I have a many generation background to this magical country.
    Please look at the coth newbie hunts as well. We usually have car following with a knowledgeable guide.

By the way, my father use to waterfowl hunt when I was a kid. When I bought my first pony, with my wages from washing windows, I didn't stop riding when it was raining. I borrowed my father's bright yellow rubber rain suit from his duck hunting gear and rode bareback. I would mount by vaulting up from the ground. I frequently overshot the pony and kept going off the other side. That was one slippery combination! Sure gave a solid sense of balance, though..

You can tell me your tales of waterfowl hunting in return. In watching your face light up as you describe your adventures I'll also learn more about my heritage.

Please p.m. me if you would like to join me.

Jwan and I are friends, so we could take you together, too..

It's great to see field sports enthusiasts link hands, regardless of which sport they partake the most of.

Heck - I go coon huntin' too. When VDGIF started offering licenses via their webpage, I was ecstatic. I can print out as many as I want and put them in all my jackets and whatnot. That way I never have to worry about forgetting it. Only trouble is my main license has the duck stamps on it but the other ones don't. So that one I keep close at all times.

Hmm..... the new federal stamp should be out by now. Need to waddle over to the post office.....
    -Rudyard Kipling

I love working dogs/hounds!!

Bird,coon,fox...watching them work and be happy in their jobs is so rewarding!

Thumbs up Cool! Do it!

And don't forget the Beagles! There's a mounted foxhunt pack in that area that uses beagles too. And there's lots of foot packs that hunt rabbits w/beagles too. PM us for idears. I'm guessing you'd love to either car follow a foxhunt or go hunting rabbits on foot with either bassets (MY fav) or beagles?!! I LOVE to car follow and we can help you with that too.
    Are you in the area of the county of Orange Va. OR in the area of the Orange County Hunt which is near Middleburg?